cfile

True Story (MOC6 day26 Heritage)

True Story (MOC6 day26 Heritage)
cfile, Jan 26, 2018
Description:
Credits:
Dawn Inskip | A New Chapter - Elements (staple & photo turner)
One Little Bird | Nosh (newsprint leaf)
One Little Bird & Paislee Press Collaboration | A Storyteller
Heather Joyce | The Architect - font
[The sketched edge as a vignette is a photo of my tree that was in the front yard that I ran through akvis sketch plugin. I use this for a lot of my heritage pages so they all match. I duplicated it to place on both right and left edges, after blending into the bg paper I masked out some of the sketch to give the vignette look.]
This is a photo of my Great Grandfather, and the actual newspaper cliping that was in the paper when he died. TFL
--------------------------------------------------
Journaling 330 words: "My Great Grandfather Theodore R Johansen was a handsome man. He was born in 1882 (or 1884) in Copenhagen, Denmark. On the back of this military photo of him, it indicates he was around 20 years old. Other statistics from the photo reflect he was 5 feet 5 1/4 inches tall, weighed around 120 pounds, had blue eyes, light brown hair and had a fair complexion. It is him in his Army uniform, with infantry branch insignia on his cap. He was in the Army serving on a Naval ship enlisting on Aug. 22, 1901. He was appointed an Electrician 3rd Class on Feb. 3, 1902. He was medically discharged from the USS Columbia on May 2, 1902. He married my Great Grandmother Anna Maria Christina Jensen, and they had 2 children...my Grandmother Virginia and my Grand Uncle Theodore. They eventually moved from California to Freeport, Long Island , NY. After working for 15 years as an Assistant Electrical Engineer at Motive Power, he had just started a new position as a Special Assistant at the time of his accidental drowning. He was an enthusiastic lover of water and a keen fisherman, which makes his death so sad, that what gave him pleasure would cause his death. Returning to the landing, from an after dinner sailing on his boat with the family, he lost his footing in the darkness and hit his head in the fall, never returning to the surface. That was Aug. 27, 1924. While that is all in the above article, I was always told that my Grandmother at the age of 16, was the one who found him dead at the boat dock in the water. From this article, it is so nice to see that the people that worked with him liked him, that he was kind, had a big heart and could find the silver lining in the clouds. I wish I could have met him. He was only 40 or 42 when he passed."
jaharvey and dawninskip like this.
    • jaharvey
      Love how you incorporated the sketched background in a vignette and your journaling really honours the history. Your nephew will be so lucky to have these memories passed along. Beautifully done.
      cfile likes this.
    • Nemla
      Ditto all of the above, it is a beautiful heritage page, fitting of his memory. Edit good sound Danish names too !
      cfile likes this.
    • cfile
      @jaharvey Thank you so very much :)

@Nemla Thanks Vivi... This is the part of the family that came from Denmark :) Both my Grandmother's parents families came from Denmark.. I think (I will need to pull papers again...) that they all were from Copenhagen. :bk
    • Iowan
      what wonderful journaling and this is fabulous memory keeping and a wonderful tribute to your great grandfather. The scrapping here is lovely with the vignette of your tree. Thanks for taking the heritage challenge.
      cfile likes this.
    • cfile
      @Iowan Thank you so much for hosting it. I really enjoyed it Carol!
      Iowan likes this.
    • bjc
      what a sad story but amazing that you have this photo and the news article and know these stories. so many times the stories get lost and cant be passed along. great that you scrapped this. and it is so wonderful of a page
      cfile likes this.
    • cfile
      @bjc thank you so much!
    • patsyt
      Awesome heritage page!
      cfile likes this.
    • rchansen
      Christa - you know my love of heritage pages. This is beyond beautiful.
      cfile likes this.
    • cfile
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 6
    Uploaded By:
    cfile
    Date:
    Jan 26, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    229.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).