Lynn Grieveson ~ Fasten It
Kristin Aagard ~ Outdoorsy | Hiking
Forever Joy ~ Little Days
Bella Gypsy ~ Harmony Whimsy Freebie
Willona Font
Arial Font
Special Elite Font

Journaling 523 words:
My Mama is so much fun. And Daddy used to have so much fun teasing her.

I was just laughing with Hal about this story last Saturday night.
One time she was driving back from PJ's Corner in Dad's old blue truck.

That thing had a standard transmission with three on the tree and was a pain to get out of first. I grew up in the age where you still had driver's education in school. We learned to drive a stick shift on these machines. It was pretty cool. I learned to drive a real stick shift on that old blue truck. I can not count the number of times I stalled that thing at a red light or stop sign. Daddy could break inertia in second gear. He would take off in second hear and just laugh. The key was so worn it was practically smooth on the sides. The radio had an 8 track player, LOL! That was a fun old truck.

PJ's Corner was right about a mile from the house. It took two minutes to get there. So pretty close. Mama left the parking lot and turned right onto Chisholm. People drive crazy on Chisholm. It's a straight shot from Cox Creek Parkway to the Tennessee State Line. Unfortunately she was rear ended by some yahoo going way too fast. She was fine. He was fine. The vehicles were fine except the rear bumper of Daddy's blue truck was curved under. It was not far enough to touch the wheel, but still wrong. Mama suffered some guilt and anxiety about both the bumper and getting in a fender bender.

I will never forget Mama absolutely losing it one day. Daddy had the old blue truck and a chain in the back yard. She came flying out of the house, "Joe! Joe! What are you doing?"

I'm sitting here laughing so hard!

"I'm going to pull this tree over." Daddy said.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Now the tree in question had at least a thirty inch diameter trunk and stood very straight and tall.

Oh. My. Gosh. You would have thought the sky was falling, the world was coming to an end and Jesus had appeared upon the cloud. Mama completely lost it. "You're going to pull that tree over on you!" Her hands were flailing. She was truly worried about Daddy getting hurt.

Daddy just snickered and chained the bent bumper to the tree.

He got in the cab.

Started it up.

Mama's still having a fit.

Goosed the engine a little.

And straightened out the bumper.

It's been years and years since that happened. Daddy sold that old blue truck. He got Mama a nice little SUV with an automatic transmission and himself a nice little black truck. Before that she had a mini-van. I have no idea why she was driving the blue truck to PJ's Corner that day instead of her mini-van. Daddy's gone to heaven and is laughing and fishing with Jesus.

Turns out I take after Mama. There was a Pictionary incident when Hal and I were in college. But that's another story for another day.
    • StefanieS
      I love the story and the bit at the end about you taking after Mama and just enough to keep us wanting to know about that Pictionary incident. Wonderful story telling.
      AmandaJ likes this.
    • Sokee
      fantastic story telling!!! Hmmmmm now I want to hear about your Pictionary incident with Hal!
      AmandaJ likes this.
    • threadjungle
      Sweet story and I love the illustrations
      AmandaJ likes this.
    • garrynkim
      Love this and I too hope you tell the Pictionary story soon! Beautiful layout!
      AmandaJ likes this.
    • Jan
      What a wonderful story! I love it!! It sounds like some of the things that have happened in my lifetime. LOL Love your page, Amanda!
      AmandaJ likes this.
    • Saar
      What an awesome take on the challenge. I love everything about your layout.
      AmandaJ likes this.
    • bestcee
      I love how he teased her about taking the tree down! Great storytelling! I love the arrows down the side and the soft colors you used! Thanks for playing in my challenge!
      AmandaJ likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 9
    Uploaded By:
    AmandaJ
    Date:
    Jan 11, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    245.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).