frutselke, Feb 2, 2021
Description:
MOC9 Jan23 - Interview About the Past

Like Mother & So Here's The Story - Pink Reptile Designs
Live A Little & Hyannis - One Little Bird
Mariko - Lynn Grieveson

Journaling/Interview (word count 577):
My Aunt's Wedding
It was 1980 and my mother’s youngest sister was getting married. My other aunt sent me this picture the other day. It is one of my favorite pictures with my dad. I am interviewing my mother about that wedding day, because I later learned that it actually wasn’t such a beautiful day at all.

Me: What were the preparations for the wedding like?
Mum: You know your aunt works at a home furnishings shop, where she sews all kinds of curtains and blinds. Well, she wanted to make her own wedding dress and she asked for my help. I helped her find a pattern for the perfect wedding dress.
Me: Oh yes, I remember her wedding dress. It had those gorgeous bat sleeves.
Mum: Exactly. And it was really difficult to make. Well, the pattern was easy, but we had so much fabric. The dress was made out of three layers of this sheer white fabric. But it was all worth it, she looked like an angel.

Me: And I remember she had Baby’s Breath in her hair. Did that come from our garden? I’m not sure I remember that correctly.
Mum: We did have Baby’s Breath I the garden, but no. The flowers in her hair came from the florists.

Me: But then the wedding came and you got ill. What happened?
Mum: I thought I was having a bad cold, but it wouldn’t go away. When the wedding day came closer, I got really ill. I still had to sew you and your sister’s dresses, so I ignored my fever and just kept going. Until the day before the wedding I wasn’t able to get out of bed anymore. You’re dad called the doctor and he diagnosed a double pneumonia. He prescribed absolute bedrest and warned me that if I didn’t follow his instructions, I would have to go to hospital.

Me: Somehow you managed to keep that secret from us kids. We had no idea how ill you were.
Mum: Your dad managed to keep it from you. I was too ill to even realize you two might be worried. On the day of the wedding your grandmother came to look after me and the three of you went to the wedding dinner. Somehow my foggy brain was able to insist on that.

Me: Is it strange that I don’t remember you didn’t go with us? All I remember about the wedding dinner is that we had ice cream for dessert. I loved it! I do know we were there with only dad, but that’s because of the pictures of that day. At the time I had no idea you were so sick.
Mum: You two didn’t understand what was going on. But of course the family did. Although, we didn’t tell anyone how bad it really was. Your dad told them it was just a bad case of flu. We didn’t want to ruin your aunt’s wonderful day. But look at that picture. He tried really hard to put on a brave face, but your dad was very worried. And of course the family noticed. Later they told us seeing him there alone with you girls they thought he looked like a widower.
Me: That’s so sad. To me it’s a beautiful picture. Dad being the lovely and caring man he always was.
Mum: It’s a good thing your memory of that day is not burdened with all those worries.
  • There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 9
    Uploaded By:
    frutselke
    Date:
    Feb 2, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    328.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).