MOC9 Day 11 Tell Me A Story

MOC9 Day 11 Tell Me A Story
Ursula, Jan 11, 2021
Description:
artTherapy no2 by NBK Designs
staples: Re-Invent by NBK Designs
photos: mine
Story:
A few years ago my husband and I went on a trip to Egypt. This included a few days in Cairo, a Nile cruise and then a few days in Sharm El Sheik. We booked the trip for March, at which time of year the climate was still reasonably bearable.
The first stop was Cairo. As we drove from the airport to the hotel, we were amazed at the amount of traffic and traffic jams. The first sightseeing from Cairo was the pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx. Although we knew these wonderful structures from pictures, we were just amazed. Unimaginable what kind of skills and knowledge the people already had back then. We loved it. In Cairo, we saw many other sights, including the Alabaster Mosque, the market and much more.
After three days we flew to Luxor to board the Nile cruise. From now on the ship was our hotel. Before the trip to the Nile, there were some excursions and sightseeing in the area. The first stop was the Luxor Temple. The next day, very early in the morning, a bus took us to the Valley of the Kings, where we could visit some tombs and marvel at the wonderful wall paintings. Photography was strictly forbidden at the time and the cameras had to be left at the entrance. Then the trip went to the temple of Hatshepsut.
On this day of the excursion I was caught by the “Pharaoh's Revenge” and I suffered from nausea practically the whole day. Most tourists suffer from it at some point, fortunately for me, it was relatively harmless.
After lunch on the ship, the journey on the Nile started. I wasn't feeling very well yet and I was glad to rest on the deck and enjoy the ride. Here you could see the negative side of tourism. Dozens of Nile ships went down the Nile and a little less up the Nile.
The next stop was the temple of Edfu. This temple is considered to be one of the best-preserved in Egypt.
After this inspection, the journey continued via Komombo, without disembarkation, to Aswan, where we docked at night. We stayed there for three nights. There was a lot to see in and around Aswan, including the Aswan Dam, modern construction that dammed the Nile into Lake Nasser. The dam serves several purposes, including agriculture, drinking water supply, the navigability of the Nile, etc.
The main attraction of Aswan was the rock temples of Abu Simbel. These are no longer at the original location. To save them from the rising water of Lake Nasser, which was dammed up by the Aswan Dam, they were removed between 1963 and 1968 and rebuilt 64 m higher on the Abu Simbel plateau. The sight of the colossal statues in front of the temple is breathtaking.
Other stops in Aswan were the Philae Temple, the Coptic Church of Aswan, the market and a very scenic boat trip on the Nile with a visit to a Nubian village.
On the way back there was a stop and a visit to the double temple of Kom Ombo and then it went on to the starting point Luxor.
The next day we visited the great Karnak temple, the largest temple complex in Egypt. The facility is huge and again very impressive.
This was the end of the Nile trip and we then flew to Sinai, where we could switch on for a few more quiet days and visit the Saint Catherine's Monastery.
The very last stage was the flight to Cairo and the return flight to Zurich.
It was a wonderful, impressive journey, but also very exhausting, especially since you always had to get up very early and sleep was a bit too short.
  • There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Lilypad Challenges & Scraps
    Uploaded By:
    Ursula
    Date:
    Jan 11, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    217.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).