wenckechodan

MOC6 Day 19 Clip-Photo-to-Title

MOC6 Day 19 Clip-Photo-to-Title
wenckechodan, Jan 21, 2018
Description:
Aloha kākou! Don't let anyone try to tell you that aloha means "hello, good-bye, and love". Aloha, this deep appreciation and respect towards one another and the land, is so much more!

The journaling reads:
Whether the Hawaiian went forth to till his taro patch, fish in the sea, or roam the streets of Lahaina of Maui or Honolulu on O’ahu, he went with a song on his lips and a flower in his hat – if he had a hat – or a lei of fragrant maile leaves or heavy scented blossoms about is neck. Song and flowers were as indigenous to the Hawaiian as the rain, the rainbow, the sea, the air, the misty mountains, the verdant growth, the ease with which the red soil produced plenty were native to Hawai’i.

And wherever he went he said “aloha” in meeting or in parting. “Aloha” was the recognition of life in another. If there was life there was mana, goodness and wisdom, and if there was goodness and wisdom there was god-quality. One had to recognize the ‘god of life’ in another before saying “aloha”, but this was easy. Life was everywhere – in the trees, the flowers, the ocean, the fish, the birds, the pili grass, the rainbow, the rock – in all the world was life – was god – was aloha. Aloha in its gaiety, joy, happiness, abundance. Because of aloha, one gave without thought of return; because of aloha, one had mana. Aloha had its own mana. It never left the giver but flowed freely and continuously between giver and receiver. “Aloha” could not be thoughtlessly or indiscriminately spoken, for it carried its own power. No Hawaiian could greet another with “aloha” unless he felt it in his own heart. If he felt anger or hate in his heart he had to cleanse himself before he said “aloha”. Life had a tremendous spirituality [in the paradise of the Pacific in 1838.]

Credits:
Lynn Grieveson: Deep Dive
Alpha: Allison Pennington: Sugar Alpha
Font: Kingthings Trypewriter
Journaling: Allen, H. G. (1982). The Betrayal of Liliuokalani. Honolulu: Mutual Publishing. Page 28.
mcurtt likes this.
    • yellowpeep
      What a beautiful layout and passage. I was born and raised in Hawai'i and I agree with all of it. Made me homesick. The color of the water, sand and the beachside vegetation is very familiar to me. Love that little peek of Hawai'i behind that very important word. Beautiful! Thank you for participating in my challenge!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 6
    Uploaded By:
    wenckechodan
    Date:
    Jan 21, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    243.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).