Mrsdudds

MOC 9 Jan 11

MOC 9 Jan 11
Mrsdudds, Oct 3, 2021
Description:
Wild Child Elements by Pink Reptile Designs
Page Turner Kit by Micheline Lincoln Designs

Word count is 668, Journalling Reads:
I can’t remember the first book I read, or how I fell in love with books. I canjust remember always having a passion and a love for reading. I was the child that would stay up late, curled under the duvet with a torch so I could read past bedtime. My favourite lesson in school was English, and any homework that involved reading was always done first. Growing up and even now I have always had a book in my handbag on my travels. It is only now that I am older that I truly appreciate the feeling that comes from escaping with a good book. My favourite place to read is sat in the garden in the sunshine. Although living in Wales we don't get a lot of summer sunshine. Life had a tendency to get in the way of reading, being a mother, work and day to day tasks always came first. And I found I only ever had time to read on my days off, or when I went on holiday.

But like the rest of the world in 2020 COVID hit, and the UK went into Lockdown in March. I had unfortunately left my employment just before lockdown. So with nothing to do and nowhere to go, my passion for reading was reignited. I was lucky that a local resident had set up a Little Library in his front garden which started off as a box on the wall. But before long this small box had expanded to a few crates in his front garden. With all the local libraries and shops closed I was still able to go and browse for a book. Over the lockdown I managed to create a small home library, with two bookshelves full of books. These were either purchased online or obtained from the Little Library. I set myself a Goodreads reading challenge to read 35 books last year, and got really close finishing a total of 33.

I have managed to find employment since the first lockdown and I work part-time which allows me to continue to read on my days off. Unlike when I was a child I can no longer stay up late reading in bed, I don’t get far if read in bed as my eyes become too tired. I have worn glasses since I was twelve which my optician has told me hasn’t been helped by reading in the dark. So I try not to read in bed as it causes too much strain on my eyes. My favourite time to read is curled up on the sofa first thing in the morning with my coffee. I love the feeling of opening the book and stepping inside another world. Switching off from the reality that is going on around me, even if it is just for a little while.. I have set my reading goal for 2021 to try and read 52 books, or more if I can manage it. So far this year I have followed the life of a paramedic as he recounts the jobs he goes to, I have been a librarian working alongside a dragon to fight a corrupt government to retrieve a book, and read about serial killers that have inspired movies. And I have done all this without moving from my sofa.

In a world that is uncertain at the moment I can find comfort and joy in my books. My husband says I have issues as I have loads of books that have created a never ending to be read pile. But these books are my happy place. I don’t want my home filled with ornaments that just collect dust, I prefer books that have stories waiting to be read. If I can’t go on holiday this year due to COVID then at least I can escape to some exotic place in a book. All I’m waiting for now is some sunshine…..I may be waiting a while for that though as it’s currently snowing here.
chastml likes this.
    • bestcee
      I love the way you made the story front and center! I enjoyed reading through your book love and how it became an escape again. Good luck on your goal! Thanks for playing in my challenge!

Please share the book titles! I'm really intrigued by your descriptions!
    • Trish
      love how everything is layered and tucked in.
    • G.J.
      I really enjoyed reading your journaling. Nice use of the mug. Good luck on your goal
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 9
    Uploaded By:
    Mrsdudds
    Date:
    Oct 3, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    2.2 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2550px
    Height:
    3300px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).