lmjrocko

Moc-31

Moc-31
lmjrocko, Feb 1, 2018
Description:
COLLAB: All the Feels Part Two
by Lilypad Collabs https://the-lilypad.com/store/-COLLAB-All-the-Feels-Part-Two.html

Our home was built in 1960 by Mr. & Mrs. House. It's a three bedroom ranch on 3/4 acres. The property is long, and goes to the river bank. This use to be called the ribbon farms.

A distinguishing feature of early Detroit and other French settlements in North America is the way farmland was divided into long, narrow strips commonly referred to as ribbon farms. In Metropolitan Detroit, these farms were established on both sides of the Detroit, Rouge, and Clinton Rivers, as well as on Conner's Creek and the shores of Lake St. Clair. They are found elsewhere in Michigan, in Monroe, Saint Clair, Cheboygan, Mackinac and Chippewa Counties.

Dividing riverfront and lakeshore land in this way had two important advantages. First, it provided access to the water, the primary mode of transportation, to the maximum number of families. Second, it placed each farmhouse at a minimum distance from one another and from the fort at the center of the settlement. Visitors to early Detroit noted that the continuous row of houses along the river created the impression that the settlement was larger than it really was.

The My parent-in-laws bought this home in 1989 from Mr. House. They moved in after they retired 1990. My father-in-law passed away March 3rd, 2008. We moved in in June of 2015 so my mother-in-law could remain in her home. Over the past 30 my husband has done all repairs, and remodeling to the home. We are adding a room on in the spring. The photo’s clearly show the "then" and "now" of our home. Thanks Mr. House for leaving the before photo when you left.
blueberries likes this.
    • jenn mccabe
      oh wow! that is pretty cool - love the story and seeing the pictures of before and now! such a sweet story and page!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Month of Challenges 6
    Uploaded By:
    lmjrocko
    Date:
    Feb 1, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    187.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).