dotcomkari

Everyday Is a Battle

Everyday Is a Battle
dotcomkari, Oct 7, 2018
Description:
I may look fine. I may swallow it down and force a smile, but the truth of the matter is I am not ok. I am one in five suffering with mental illness. I’ve been told that depression is just a cry for attention, or that people with anxiety just need to calm the fuck down and get out more and exercise. That taking daily medication is just a weak cop-out. But I am writing this letter because I want you to understand. While I may look perfectly ok on the outside; this past year has taught me I am far from ok. Having to pretend that I don’t ever feel sad, anxious, overwhelmed or even panicked is not healthy. What I need is compassion. I need an ear to listen, learn and offer support. If you aren’t sure what to say, don’t say anything at all; but with all due respect treat me with respect and kindness. My mental illness is not going to go away overnight. I may be doing better today, but tomorrow is a new day with new struggles to overcome. It may take me days, months or even years to even be close to “normal” again. I did not choose to have these issues any more than someone would choose to have diabetes. Both are medical conditions that need treatment. I am no longer denying that I need help in my journey to find myself again. I am not afraid of hard work. When I think of the stereotypes applied to people with mental illness--- lazy, crazy, disorganized, and unreliable—I remark on how my experience with mental illness has made me the opposite of these traits. I am me, a strong young woman who happens to have a mental illness. While mental illness has many drawbacks, I choose to look forward in my life. I know now that I am responsible for taking care of myself and getting back to who I believe I should be. What I am asking of you is to be open minded, have tolerance and support me if and when I hit a rough patch (trust me there will be more than one). In the end, everything will be alright; maybe not today nor tomorrow but eventually.

Rachel Jefferies and Studio Basics: Silent Battles Stress
    • bcnatty
      Thank you for sharing this Kari!! Love to you as you find your way through this!!
      [​IMG]
    • krscraps
      Thank you for sharing. It's very brave of you.

-kisses Bart-
    • frani_54
      Thank you for putting yourself out there, I know how hard it is. Just know that by doing that you have little by little released some of those feelings and at the same time have helped others that are going through a rough patch. Hugs to you sweetie, and bravo for doing this layout.
    • ajm
      Such a stunning page, especially your journaling!
    • littlekiwi
      hugs. so brave of you to share your story
    • Rachel Jefferies
      Thanks for sharing your story Kari, for others to read and relate to, love and support to you
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Rachel Jefferies
    Uploaded By:
    dotcomkari
    Date:
    Oct 7, 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    200.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    600px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).