Dear Teacher

Dear Teacher
zakirahzakaria, May 28, 2021
Description:
Credits:
MPM Cultivate by TLP Designers.

Journaling:

Dear Puan Zubaidah,

How are you? I pray that may Allah keep you in good health and wellbeing. Do you still remember me? I was one of your students at SMAPL in 2001-2005. I remember that you taught my class Geography in Form 3, and you were also the school counsellor. I frequently visited you at the school counselling room back then. Something about the ambience and your presence made that place felt safe and secure for me. There were so much noises in my head, and visiting the counselling room gave me that much-needed headspace. One particular incident stood out to me, and I still remember it clearly in my head. The scenes would play out vividly, although I may not get the timeline correctly. During our geography class, one day, you asked me a simple question. However, I don’t know why but I broke down into tears while answering it. Then the boys made fun of me. I was so embarassed and felt ashamed. I remember you defended me and scolded the boys, then you took me to the counselling room. There, we spent some time talking and discussing about what had just happened. You asked me questions and the end of the session, I felt relieved. I also did a personality inventory test. I don’t remember the results, but you explained to me how my personality may have related to the problems that I faced in high school. Yes, I was constantly being catcalled in high school. It made me feel so unsafe and scared. I used to blame myself for catching the boys’ attention. I thought that perhaps I’ve done some things that made me stood out to them. Maybe my voice was too soft or gentle. Or maybe I smiled too much. I’ve thought of many different reasons why it could be my fault. Well, those were the days. I may not remember the exact words that you have said to me, but here’s what I do remember. I remember your calm demeanour, the warmth and gentleness in your eyes. I remember the relief in my chest after seeking your counsel. I remember how you defended me. I remember feeling safe and secure when you were around. I remember feeling heard and supported. I remember feeling accepted just the way I am. And as a teenager going through that confusing time, I really needed those. So here, I want to thank you for everything that you have done – for the support, for providing a safe environment, and for making me heard. Thank you, and I pray that may Allah reward you abundantly. Take care my dear teacher.

(442 words).
mirjam likes this.
    • Ga_L
      Great letter to your teacher. Love the clean design and the choice of font. Thanks for sharing
    • Nemla
      What a tribute , to what sounds to be a very good teacher indeed. I like your page design very much too.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Journaling Challenge
    Uploaded By:
    zakirahzakaria
    Date:
    May 28, 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    238.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    800px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).