What do you listen to? |Pad Patter 1.13

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Jan 13, 2018.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

So, Laura started a poll asking what we listen to while scrapping. And Sara mentioned she likes podcasts while housecleaning in her Everyday Happy thread.

So I started wondering, what do you listen to during life? I'm big on podcasts when I'm cooking. Audiobooks when DH is driving. 90's music when I'm driving! {Can you tell driver picks the music?} My kid listens to Hamilton and Guardians of the Galaxy soundtracks while he vacuums. I've been listening to music again while working on schoolwork, and housework.

What do you like to listen to while you go through everyday life?

2. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

Music wise I listen to just about anything (aside from hardcore raunchy stuff). Podcasts and audio books I tend to just tune right on out, I hear voices but not words.

bestcee likes this.
  3. bestcee

That's interesting. I have that problem in the car with audiobooks. I just start to zone out!

bbymks5 likes this.
  4. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Yep, like @bbymks5, I tune out listening to audiobooks and podcasts, too. There are a few podcasts I'd love to listen to, but I get a few minutes in and then my mind is somewhere else. Most of the time at home, I'm just listening to whatever is going on in the house around me...like right now DH is playing some truck driving simulator on his computer and DS is upstairs in his room and it kinda sounds like he's remodeling it :giggle. When I'm cleaning I get Alexa to play random music for me or I turn on Spotify. I spend a lot of time in my car on workdays, sometimes a couple of hours a day depending on what we are doing after work...and when I'm in there I listen to a little bit of everything on the radio. I flip between top 40 stations, classic rock stations, and occasionally a country station. I do like to listen to an ensemble morning radio show out of Dallas on my way to work.

bbymks5 likes this.
  5. bestcee

You are lucky! Any recommendations? Alexa delights in playing music that I'm all "What the crap?" Seriously, at Christmas she played a song "I farted on Santa's Lap". Um, what?!?!

6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I also don't listen to podcasts or, especially, audiobooks while doing anything that requires attention because I will miss a lot. I'm more gifted visually and have always preferred reading. But I guess hearing is a skill that can be improved because last summer I was making every-other-day one-hour drives to the hospital (and another hour drive home) and I started listening to Harry Potter audiobooks. It didn't matter that I missed things because I have already read the books many times. Then I decided to try listening to the Percy Jackson books my daughter wanted me to read and yes, I did miss snippets here and there, but I got better and better at following along, especially driving the same boring long stretch of Interstate 95 over and over.

So then I decided to try listening to podcasts on my walks. I've been walking the same route around the perimeter of my neighborhood daily for four years, so I don't need to concentrate on my route. I just stay on the edge of the road to avoid being run over. My neighborhood has no sidewalks, but wide streets and dirt/gravel/weeds between street and people's lawns. I've enjoyed a lot of TED Talks Daily, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, Hidden Brain, and others.

As for music, I listen to that mostly while driving and doing housework. I'm still attached to Pentatonix and Superfruit, but other than that I'm a fan of classic rock. Occasionally I still like to revisit my teen years and listen to 80's pop rock.

berniek likes this.
  7. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

When I’m scrapping definitely podcast or audiobooks. When I get ready in the morning first radio and then audiobook. When I drive to school (work) either radio (3fm: Dutch station or BBC radio 1) or if it’s a good one, my audiobook again.
    When I’m running I have a podcast that coaches me through it with music as well obviously.
    When I’m cooking I listen/watch a rewatch of something I like and am familiar with. Or, again, an audiobook. Did I say I like audiobooks?

I need more podcasts though? Any advice?
    I like humour but with a subject. Like the Gilmore Guys, but that’s finished. It definitely doesn’t need to be ‘clean’.

8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Hahahah That's funny! I usually just tell her to play top hits or 80's rock or classic rock. Sometimes she'll playing something entirely random that I've never heard, but I haven't gotten any farting songs yet lol.

bestcee likes this.
  9. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

@bestcee @IntenseMagic I'm so glad it's not just me!! I'd love to be able to listen to them, but it's just a no for me.

IntenseMagic and bestcee like this.
  10. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Music. Podcasts. Random house noises. ROFL

On the way to work and on the way home it's music. Usually at work at my desk it's podcasts.

11. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I listen to podcasts on my drive into work and audiobooks on the way home.

I would like to listen to music, but I don't want to manage it myself, and it seems like playlists (Pandora, Sirius XM, Google Play, Amazon) are short, with not much variety, and repeat often.

I usually have the TV on at home, although sometimes I'll listen to Pandora or some other streaming music for a little while. At least at home I can try to steer the music choices, but it still seems to narrow it down too much and repeats the same songs too often.

12. bestcee

I totally understand that!
    I will say I use Google Music. I've put a couple hours over a few weeks into making some playlists I like, and it's been nice. I feel I've gotten back the time I put in. I also try to hit the thumbs up and down when I can and that seems to make it "get me" better.

13. Ladydoc

Ladydoc Member

Well, if it's not too bold for me, :), - you could try my podcast, "A Creative Approach Podcast." http://www.acreativeapproachpodcast.com I have some fascinating guests.

KayTeaPea likes this.
  14. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

While...

Scrapping - talk radio/podcast
    Driving - audio book or talk radio/podcast
    Cleaning - Usually nothing, because I'm all over the house and too lazy to queue up media in every new room I go into
    Running - audio book or talk radio/podcast (there's definitely a pattern here!)

I actually very rarely listen to music, unless I get stuck on one song and play it on repeat for a while. I get terribly bored of music after a while.

Sometimes I'll play reruns of a TV show in the background, but lately I like to listen to new stuff rather than revisit old territory.

15. bestcee

That's when we just blast it. Turn it down when you are nearby, and blast it otherwise :clappy

16. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I've been listening to 40s and 50s music lately. I prefer the upbeat songs. At Christmas, I seriously OD'd on Christmas music. I played it ALL THE TIME.

bestcee likes this.
  17. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Can't get enough of this song right now!

18. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I really like that I can make my own playlists in Google Play Music; I just have to get all my music into it. I was too embarrassed to admit I haven't kept it up when I posted the first time. LOL It's still on my list of things to go back to, along with unzipping Digi Files, downloading photos from my SD card, and cataloging my ebooks.

bestcee likes this.
  19. bestcee

I'm pretty sure I will never have this done. It's so far down my list! I totally get it.

20. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Oh shoot, I thought I'd mentioned Vitamin String Quartet in this thread! I like to listen to music at night after dinner, but DD likes to read; this is a good compromise because VSQ covers songs that I like but they're orchestral and sans vocals, so DD can focus on her book (plus, she doesn't know many of the songs VSQ cover, so she doesn't start humming the words to herself, unlike me lol).