Summer

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, May 24, 2018.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

What symbolizes summer to you?

Today I had a picnic with watermelon. There's something about watermelon that always feels summer to me! I love it. And yes, I kinda miss the watermelons with those big black seeds for spitting contests! But I'm glad that my kid isn't spitting seeds everywhere. :giggle
    [​IMG]

amien1, Karen, jk703 and 1 other person like this.
  2. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

me too! but i have to add 'cheap watermelon' - we can get watermelon imported from the US in July here but i'm not about to pay $5 or more per kilo for it - watermelon xmas trees are a cheap, relatively healthy December snack here!

(i would like to add mangoes to your symbols of summer list too!)

3. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Watermelon is one.... walking to the ice cream shop to get some soft serve (Kohr's), and my favorite is hanging out with friends BBQing, and listening to the kids play in the background. Ahhh... my favorite season!

bestcee likes this.
  4. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I know I am in the minority... but summer is the least favorite season in our house. It is primarily because my daughter gets migraines that are heat and sunlight induced, so summer means we are inside a lot.

Everyone else in my house LOVES watermelon except me. I don’t care for the taste and it makes my stomach feel awful. I do like to throw it in the blender and make the easiest ever popsicles for my daughter.

My favorite thing about summer is grilling. We are on the market for a new grill, though, because ours died at the end of last grilling season.

bestcee and bbymks5 like this.
  5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I absolutely love summer! Mostly because the kids are out of school AND sports, so we actually have free time to be at home without rushing around constantly. Plus... the sun is out and it's not constant cloudly here in Michigan, so that does my mental well-being a lot of good. Plus I live in a beach town, so that's awesome too. I'd say it's officially summer once we either make our first trip to the beach (planning that for the last day of school on June 6th) or once we host our first fish fry with our friends over. We might try for that this Sunday if our friends will be around. :)

bestcee, amien1 and Cherylndesigns like this.
  6. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Summer is my least favorite season. Only because where I am in California is HOT. Like 115+ degrees hot. Africa hot. I can't with Summer.

Buuuuut...I do love me some cold watermelon, hubbies bbq'ing (on a Weber with charcoal...he will never own a gas grill), smoothies and salads, more beach trips and having Fridays off of work (we work four 10-hour days in the summer).

bestcee and bbymks5 like this.
  7. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I 100% agree with you Courtney. Definitely watermelon, and any melon really ... oh and summer berries!!! I just love all the summer fruit. And summer veggies!

I can't take the 90 heat & humidity like I used to, but I still love love LOVE summer. It's my fave season.

bestcee likes this.
  8. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I'm with Desi and Carrie...I just can't summer LOL

Heat, watermelon, melting asphalt, broken flip flops, strawberry shortcake, heat, melty ice cream/popsicles, extreme electric bills, summer movies and :firey HEAT :firey symbolize summer here LOL

bestcee likes this.
  9. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Whenever the humidity turns on, which was about two weeks ago, it is summer (or at least feels like it).

Lots of fresh veggies, water with fresh mint, watermelon, A/C (lets be real here), camps...

Growing up we would often visit my Grandparents, sometimes one (or two) of us 6 kids would get to spend a week at Grandma and Grandpa's. Then it was eating watermelon every day in the back yard, spitting the seeds at each other (actually told to spit in the garden so my grandma got plants), and root beer floats (because Grandpa always claimed us kids needed them - we knew it was Grandpa that really wanted one), and shelling beans and other garden work (because Grandma had to keep us occupied and free labor), and climbing her big trees, and listening to the semi-trucks drive by when falling asleep (they lived on a US Highway), and ...

Unfortunately, my kids grew up without having grandparents close by, so their memories are quite different. And my kids were born and raised in the south where it is hot and humid all summer, so yeah, we don't want to be outside too much.

amien1 likes this.
  10. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I :heartlub:beat:heartlub:beat Summer! We have the best summer's here in the PNW! Hot- as in 80's some 90's maybe, no humidity & bright sunny skies! While watermelon totally is on my 'summer' list- the one thing that means summer to me is going out to the lake house. We do go out there in the other seasons too- but in the summer we basically live there! ;) I swear Lake Coeur d'Alene is a little slice of heaven!
    :heartslub

Our sunsets out there are just ridiculous!
    20170603_204720.jpg

bonnenuit, jenn mccabe and bbymks5 like this.
  11. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh how I miss Michigan summers!! They're the best! We used to sit out on our decks (with several of our neighbors) and watch the hot air balloons drift over our houses. What wonderful memories. Enjoy those gorgeous days!

Since it's pretty much always hot here, I have trouble remembering that it's NOT summer everywhere. Summer here is when we don't have to fight all of the tourists to go to the beach. LOL Bless their hearts - they're our main economy, so we don't complain, but we have the place to ourselves in the summer. The downside is - it's SO hot in the summer that sometimes all I want to do is stay in the AC.

bestcee and jenn mccabe like this.
  12. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Summer...hmmm. @Karen - definitely watermelon. But how'd you get it so early? and so early in Mich.????!!!! We are just now seeing it in the stores but it is pricey still. Waiting for them in the farmer's markets where they are really reasonable, then I eat them all summer.:heartslub Sometimes all day- but not for too many days in a row ( spare the details:hehe)
    @BevG I had those memories too- lots of time spent at the cottage with Grandma and Grandpa at Lake Erie and Cedar Point with picnics, boating, fishing. ahhhh! Sadly, due to our mission work, my kids missed that with our parents. Now both sets are too far away- Florida and Indiana. :(
    Summer means painting outdoors, grilling, a bit of swimming. Not a great fan of actually swimming, i tend to sketch or paint instead. No pool here in town, but I hope they finish the waterpark SOON!
    Camping too! And hiking. and LOTS of Farmer's Market time!!
    But S.C. is already hyper humid, and rain/storms for last week and predicted all next 10 days.... sigh. I long for Honduran weather- 75 year round, more or less!

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    bestcee and Karen like this.
  13. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Sun and warm/hot temperatures. Seeing neighbors out and about. Doors/windows open. Not being cooped up in the house.

My favorite season.

bestcee likes this.
  14. MrsEm

MrsEm Well-Known Member

I grew up in Michigan. So tadpoles, playing in the lake all day, horseback riding through the woods to friends houses, movies on the projector in the old barn.

Noooowww, summer in Texas is not as much fun. We sort of hate it when public school is out for the summer because all the fun places are so crowded. During the summer, we really put our noses to the books. We school right through summer and sort of hibernate until the public school kids go back. It's too hot to do anything here anyway, easily over 100 degrees everyday from late May until September.

bestcee and Karen like this.
  15. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

I love the summer storms. The beautiful cloud buildups over the Superstition Mountains. And even the haboobs with all their dust. I love the summer evenings when the air just feels balmy on your skin after a hot day. I'm going to miss all that when we move to Washington. But I'm looking forward to finding out what summer is all about up there. :)

I also love the 4th of July and the fireworks, barbeque dinners and watermelon and strawberry shortcake.

bestcee likes this.
  16. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

IDK why, but freshly-mowed grass reminds me of summer...which is silly because DH mows about 8 months out of the year lol! But a sunny day and a lawnmower mowing makes me think "lazy summer day."

@MrsEm I could have written your post (except the home schooling and the fact we've moved away from TX lol). Summer is a different beast altogether in Texas! I'm assuming you're more southern, since you get such high temps. The hot, humid swamp-air of Houston was intense in the summer. But there's a trade-off: while my West Michigan family were all hibernating from Oct through April, I was outside in sunscreen and shorts! :) They just couldn't understand how I could "handle the heat," but I explained that yes, I have to make sure my kids stay hydrated and slathered with sunscreen 24/7 in the spring/summer, but in the late fall and winter we can enjoy the outdoors. Basically the "bad weather" is just the opposite in TX than in MI. ("Lake effect snow" is no joke!)

bestcee, Karen and MrsEm like this.
  17. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Ah, @AJK - We went to Cedar Point often growing up in southern Michigan. Costco has watermelons... Haven't gotten one yet, but it is Memorial Day weekend...

@Tree City - I don't miss that Lake Effect Snow one bit -- my 3 sisters are still there in Michigan, while my brother and parents are in NC with us.

bestcee, Karen and Tree City like this.
  18. Karen

Yeah, we have to fight the tourists for our beach too, so I feel your pain there! We have one beach that we call secret beach because it looks like it's private access only for those who live there, but it's not private and is sometimes the only place you can find parking in town too! :)

bestcee and Tree City like this.
  19. Karen

WOW! That is a gorgeous photo! Sounds heavenly there too!

20. Karen

I just go to Meijer (our local grocery store) and it's all cut up in chunks and ready to eat! :giggle I'm sure it's not local watermelon, but I don't care and my kids love it, so that's what I get until we start getting local stuff.