Radio Contests....

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jk703, May 23, 2018.

1. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Have you ever won? If you did, how did it happen, and what did you win!? What were you feeling!?

I did this morning on my way to work!!! I like all different kinds of music, and we have a country station, Thunder 106.3 around here in NJ. I jump around to music in the mornings, (I hate z100's phone taps) and landed on 106.3 - heard for people call to win tickets to Zac Brown... so I gave it a shot, twice. Busy. (I never call in, never!) I said to myself, third times a charm, and waited about 30 seconds and called again... it was ringing. I figured someone would pick up and tell me I was called 107, lol! Well... it was the morning show hosts that picked up, and I was stunned! They asked why I sounded nervous, and I replied that they were on the radio... but they were talking to me! They laughed and said I won! OMG... total excitement! It was great, I'm still giggling!

So, I get to go see Zac Brown at Citi Field in July! Woooo Hoooo!!!

PS... Totally made my day! Especially after the morning I had, and getting off to a late start on my commute! This made it so much better! :giggle

2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Woot woot! Yea, Jenn! How fun is that?!

I won tickets to see Blink-182 by answering some trivia question (can't remember the question lol). I took my brother, who got bored(!) so we left early. The concert was in Detroit so we did have a big drive back home, but I didn't want to leave early!

Anyway, HAVE FUN! It'll be a blast!

jk703 likes this.
  3. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Oh wow! That is such a fun story Jenn! Especially since you never call in! Congrats on the win!
    BTW -no, I've never won. I don't really call in either. I think I did a few times as a teen and never got through.

jk703 likes this.
  4. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Yay! That's so awesome, Jenn!

I once won George Strait tickets. Matt and I ended up in the nosebleed section. But, he just stands there so we didn't miss anything. Ha! I think Miranda Lambert opened for him that show. This was years ago.

I also won an opportunity to jump in a dunk tank full of jello to win a car. I hate jello but wth, right? I didn't win a car and just ended up a sticky mess.

5. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

We didn’t actually call in... but we did win something from our local radio station.

Every year at Christmas, our local faith-based station 104.7 The Fish has a thing called Fish Christmas Wish. Members of the community can nominate others who are struggling for a wish to brighten their holiday. We like to adopt a kid or two through this and help provide Christmas for them. During this time, The Fish spends a month or so going to Chick-Fil-A restaurants in metro Atlanta so you can choose a wish to fill in person (you can do it online too... and it isn’t just kids. There are also wishes for adults and families for a wide variety of things... we just always choose to adopt a child because I think it helps my daughter feel more connected and get involved more). One morning they came to a Chick-Fil-A near us so we decided to choose a wish there. After choosing a pair of brothers to take Christmas gifts to, they gave my daughter four tickets to see a Disney Live show a few weeks later.

jk703 likes this.
  6. jk703

Thanks! I was floored, lol! I wouldn't have been able to answer any trivia questions!

I' have never won. I don't think I've ever called either. I remember a friend in high school would win almost monthly! It was so funny... and then after I got over my initial reaction, I turned up the radio, and heard the tail end of me winning! I wish I turned it up earlier!

I am totally wondering about the tickets. There is a general admission section, I'm hoping there! :giggle Plus, I was so over the moon excited, I gave my information, but don't remember if they said they would call me... I might have to call the station, lol!

Awww... I love that. You guys were giving and they returned! Sweet reward for a kid too!

jenn mccabe and Tree City like this.
  7. DisneyMom

DisneyMom official mousketeer

Thats awesome!

Hubby entered into a draw contest with our local radio station and we won Floor seats to Disney On Ice this past March. With ticket prices around $95 each we have never sat that close before. The kids loved it.

This reminds me I still need to scrap these photos :)

bestcee and jk703 like this.
  8. jk703

That's awesome! I hope that we get some somewhat good seats!

DisneyMom likes this.
  9. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Congratulations!:winner

jk703 likes this.
  10. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

How fun!!! That should be fun concert!!

I've never tried winning anything from radio stations.

jk703 likes this.
  11. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Congratulations!! Enjoy the concert.

jk703 likes this.
  12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

How cool Jenn!!! I was smiling when I saw you note z100... I used to listen to that when I lived in NY and also to the oldies stations .. COngrats on winning the tickets!! Have fun and so fun too that you were on the air!

I always tried to call in on those things when I lived in NY.. never got through nor won.. So happy for you!!!

jk703 likes this.
  13. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

We don't even have a radio... and I tend to listen to podcasts on my phone. Most of my car trips aren't even worth turning the radio on. Himself has one of the paid radio services in his car but I can't be bothered.

But I did win a call in radio show back in 1986 in Bahrain. I listened to the radio as the children were getting ready for school and they'd play a few bars of a song and you had to identify it. I won with identifying "Jessica" by the Allman Brothers. I had to go down to the station and I won a towel or a plastic carry bag. Whatever it was, I didn't even want it! But after months of calling most days, I was done.

jk703 likes this.
  14. MiekSter

MiekSter We only regret the chances we didn't take

That's awesome! Congrats Jenn!

jk703 likes this.
  15. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

I won a Johnny Rivers record album one time....now THAT tells you how old I am, doesn't it?!!! We had rotary phones back then and I had tried and tried to call but it was always busy. I finally dialed all but the last number and when they came on and told which caller would win I dialed the last number. It went thru and I found myself being the winner! I was so excited. Didn't know who Johnny Rivers was, but I did like a couple of the songs on the record. LOL

jk703 likes this.
  16. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

That's so awesome! I've tried a few times, but never won anything. My daughter won a birthday cake one year because I sent her name in, but I don't think she ever went to pick it up lol

jk703 likes this.
  17. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

Hooray! I have no idea who Zac Brown is because I don't listen to country, but a free concert is a free concert.

Two summers ago, we spent a week in Haliburton, Ontario at a cottage with my parents. My Grandpa had died the week before, so we drove up a day late, and were pulling into town on Tuesday around 4 pm. Fiddling with the dial to find CBC Radio (our national broadcaster), we came across a local station that was doing Radio Bingo.
    That's right. Radio Bingo. You buy your bingo cards at local stores through the week and on Tuesday night, you tune in and they call numbers at a leisurely pace. Someone gets a line, they call in and get a prize. Next they go for a "T" shape or an "X" shape, and finally the grand prize is the whole card.
    In between the calls, we got small town, Northern Ontario radio. Completely random song selections (Up next, Janet Jackson, Kenny Chesney and the Four Tops!) And then random local announcements like, "Please don't tie up the phone lines if you're calling for business. Keith will be in the office from 8 to noon tomorrow to handle the advertising placements," and "The Rotary is having a barbecue at the grocery store to raise money for wheelchairs for seniors. If you're interested in more details, contact Dave at the grocery store." Because there's only one grocery store in town, and we all know exactly who Dave is.
    The only downside was, Radio Bingo is only on Tuesday night, and we had to leave on Sunday. I am trying to make my family go back to Haliburton just so I can play next time.

18. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Like @GlazeFamily3 - I didn't win from calling in but I did win from a radio station.

We were at an event in Downtown Orlando (don't even know what it was), but Z88.3 was there (the local Christian station) and they offered free Disney tickets to anyone who would hold their cell phone and act like they were in a dryer. (apparently this is something they would do on their radio show in a real dryer). I volunteered & won the tickets! This was over 16 years ago.
    I still can't believe I did it.

19. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Do they podcast their morning show? Then you could hear it! The one I like to listen to in Utah has a podcast of the morning show.

jk703 likes this.
  20. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

My dad used to win radio contests a lot. We had a rotary phone in the barn office, and most people had dial phones by this post (I'm not as old as my life experiences :yup). I don't remember what all he won, but I know it was a few different times. A "boombox" one time I think?
    I've never called in and won with a radio station, but I have received freebies for showing up at their events.

Enjoy the concert Jenn!

jk703 likes this.