Purging Kits/Supplies

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by rdjrneace, Jul 23, 2017.

1. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I hoard everything from the pad. Designers that are long gone, retired are like memories of friends on the other side of the country.
    There are two designers, that I have outside of the Pad....and I eagerly wait for them to come here..bhahhahha
    it worked with Dawn, Tangie, Cheryl and Danielle! lol I held to those folders for ions! soooooooooooooo
    we never know who is coming....spoiled we are here!

2. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

I need to do this, especially with freebies. I'll admit I have hoarder genes, especially when it comes to digital things. My style has changed so drastically since I started... Maybe it's time to purge.

3. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

I like to get rid of stuff irl, but I tend to hoard my digi supplies. Ya never know when you might need something. I have 5 EHDs - 4 are collecting dust... yikes! I should probably go through them and delete stuff, but I'd rather be scrappin... hehe

4. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

Kayla, I so agree; I would rather scrap then "clean" my EHD & system but I realize I have so many kits/stuff that I know I will never use so why keep. I also realized my "taste" has changed and some of the earlier stuff is just not what I like anymore.

Tree City and bestcee like this.
  5. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

This is one of life's conundrums...play (scrap) or clean. As you can see from my images in another thread, I have a hard time getting rid of things. At least deleting from an EHD is just a poof and it's gone. The one thing I have found is that I'm less likely to buy just because it's new. It has to be really different to catch my eye these days.

I did read a saying about getting rid of old stuff...If you saw it today, would you buy it? re many of my digi supplies the answer is definitely NO.

Tree City likes this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm a huge digi-hoarder. I figure hard drive space is pretty cheap, so I keep almost everything. Now having said that, I did go back and delete a TON of stuff that I downloaded freebies from like 2006 when I first started. Designers have come a LONG way since then! :giggle and I know I wouldn't have used that stuff. But if I paid for something, I'm probably going to keep it, but I have moved some older stuff onto another HD and tucked it away in a drawer.

7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

and yes to those you say "I'd rather scrap than sort/clean" Ain't nobody got time for that! :giggle

klee73010 likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I routinely clean out, but I haven't had a big purge in a long time. I need to do it.

Just think, if it was a paper kit, you would have already used it and it would be on a layout - you've gotten your money from the digi kit in the same way. If it's no longer an item that you would use on your layouts, then you should let it go.

This is brilliant! I'm going to make a SIX MONTH DEATH ROW folder! bwahahahaha

bestcee likes this.
  9. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I purged all of the freebies that did not come from TLP Designers without guilt; however I don't see myself purging other items for quite some time.

bestcee likes this.
  10. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I don't delete, i just buy another EHD.
    Love going through old kits and finding old favourites and making them new again.

11. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I have all my LilyPad stuff and a few old favorite designers that I love that no longer design on a EHD and I don't see myself deleting anything from it. I use a lot of it but even the stuff I don't use often I still love it to much to part with it. Now, when I first started digi scrapping I had a much different style and i used to store all that stuff on cd's but that was 8-10 years ago and I finally just threw all those away because I knew I would never go back to them.

bestcee likes this.
  12. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I'm a long-time digi scrapper, too. It must be tough for newer digi scrappers to understand that items from 10+ years ago aren't exactly what we would use today. (Not everything that old is "bad" or out of style, but I won't lie and say none of it is.) When I purge, I don't think I delete much post-2014, but I admit I got rid of lots of pre-2011 stuff. For some reason, that seems to be the cutoff year for me: I don't feel guilt getting rid of stuff that I'll never use.

Having said that, I do have an EHD at my parents' place and I think a lot of the stuff I've deleted is on there. That 8 yo EHD, except for the pics, is mostly obsolete.

Karen likes this.
  13. cinna

cinna The Force is ALWAYS with me ...

Oh, I really need to do a big purge of my digi stuff! There´s just so much that´s just sitting there- LOL! :giggle

14. SirScrapalot

SirScrapalot Tackling my to-do list with gusto

This is so powerful to think about!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  15. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

90% of my stash is less than 3 years old. Unless it's something really really specific, chances are a new birthday/Christmas/summer/skiing kit is around the bend that will work just as well as the 10 year old birthday/Christmas/summer/skiing kit I have lying around on my EHD.

You don't get the money back whether you keep it or whether you delete it so why not delete if you know you're never going to use it, KWIM?

bestcee and SirScrapalot like this.
  16. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

Nope..Nope..never

bestcee and Karen like this.
  17. Shivani

Shivani I live in an anemonemone. An amnemonemomne.

I will probably need to do this at some point. I would like to think my stash isn't big enough (yet) to force me to do that! Having said that my style had changed quite a bit so I can see myself purging stash which I know I would not come back to!

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  18. Meredith78

Meredith78 Well-Known Member

I’ve deleted most of the free stuff I’ve downloaded over the years, particularly if it’s dated or of poor quality. I don’t tend to purge kits because there’s nearly always something in them I might use...I have a heap of baby kits I received as part of subscription years ago and I’m glad I held onto them as I’m using heavily now. Sometimes I receive a kit I know I’m just not going to use, ever, and I tend to shuffle those off to a Dropbox folder I don’t keep synced on my laptop and will delete it next time I’m doing a clean up.

bestcee and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  19. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

for me... I have a hard time with the delete as well... I think kto free up space I may go back and delete old PSD files as I keep both JPG and PSD so I may be doing that soon!!

20. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Okay - you convinced me... I have my content on my laptop hard drive so I can scrap where ever, but I do need the space. So going in... I also have been wanting to make a list of kits that I bought and have not used yet.

bestcee likes this.