National Nut Day | Pad Patter 10.22

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Oct 22, 2017.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

We keep a calendar in my classroom of weird or unusual holidays throughout the year and try to celebrate each one if we can. I try to read the weekend ahead of time just for giggles and I noticed on Friday that today is National Nut Day!

Not this kind of nuts
    [​IMG]

But this kind
    [​IMG]

I'm not a really big fan of nuts in things or on top of things, but I do love them by themselves for a snack. Cashews are my favorite, followed by almonds.

So, I'm curious. Do you like nuts? If so, what's your favorite and how do you like them?

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

Both my daughter and my husband are allergic to nuts. My husband is just peanuts, but my daughter's allergy is also with the pollen found on the shells of nuts, so we have to steer clear of all nuts.

I do enjoy peanut butter and some candy with peanuts or peanut butter in them-- oh! And nilla wafers with peanut butter! Anyhow I have a small stash I enjoy on the super rare occasion I am home alone.

LoveItScrapIt and IntenseMagic like this.
  3. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I LOVE nuts. I like them in bread, as topping on things and by themselves. My favourites: pistachios, cashew nuts, Para nuts (I googled and found that they are called Brazil nuts in the US).

What I don't particularly like are walnuts.

LoveItScrapIt and IntenseMagic like this.
  4. IntenseMagic

That's too bad about the allergies :( Does your daughter's school have a policy about nuts? Mine does not yet, but I feel like it's a matter of time.

Pistachios are my son's favorite! How neat that even nuts have different names in different places!

5. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I like almonds and cashews the most. I don't eat them often, but I love grabbing a handful and snacking on them!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

My dad is allergic to nuts so we didn't really have them growing up. (His allergy isn't terrible, but my mom doesn't LOVE nuts that much, so she just didn't buy them to have around, and of course she didn't cook with them just to be careful...plus she barely cooked anyway cuz she'd rather go out to eat. Every once in awhile my dad will eat Turtle--it's a chocolate-covered nut and caramel treat, not the animal!--and I always get worried. But he says "Nah, my throat just tickles and my nose runs. No big deal." *sigh*) So, one of the first times I went to DH's parents' house, they had a little nut bowl on a side table. It was weird to see lol! I ate one and was like "Oh, that was good. What was it?" DH's family is, to put it kindly, obsessed with food, so they basically thought I was either insane or joking. I was neither. Anyway, I like nuts, esp. cashews and walnuts, but I'm not a huge nut person. DH will buy the big bag at Costco; I'll pick out a few and then he and DD will eat the rest. (Oh, DD just got her expander put in her mouth, so she can't have almonds, which are her fave. She's VERY upset about this!)

For me, peanut butter and chocolate is where it's at! Y'all can take the nuts if I can have the PB&C!

DS had an allergic reaction to sesame seeds this summer. I gave him the BOTTOM half of a sesame seed bagel and I scraped off the, like, 3 seeds on the bottom (cuz he doesn't like stuff on his bagel and we were out of plain), and he started whining about how "I can still taste them!" I thought he was just annoyed at not getting a plain bagel, but then his lips started to swell, and then his eyelids! We rushed to urgent care, which is much closer than the hospital. Anyway, he'd had sesame seeds before (in a few different types of food), so that was a shock to see! Needless to say, we were instructed to stay away from sesame seeds.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Almonds, cashews and pistachios are my fave.
    I like to roast my own pumpkin seeds. Soooo much better than the packed pumpkin seeds.

I'm not a fan of walnuts, brazil nuts or macadamia nuts.

IntenseMagic and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  8. GlazeFamily3

I homeschool her, so we don't have to worry about it! When I was in the classroom before having her, we had specific tables for kids with allergies to eat at. I know at my MIL's school, there is a flat out ban on all tree nuts because they have a kid with a nut allergy that is so severe. She actually has to check every kid's lunchbox as they walk in the door each day.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Funny, Jan, I'm the opposite. I love nuts in things, but rarely snack on them plain. I didn't eat them much for about a decade while my nearly 14 year old daughter was younger because she has multiple food allergies which used to include nuts. But a little over a year ago her peanut and nut RAST numbers were down so low the allergist suggested a peanut trial in the doctor's office, which she passed. Yay! He said she could trial the nuts one-by-one trial too, but she hasn't wanted to yet. She didn't even really like peanuts much at first and stuck with sunflower butter instead of peanut butter until this summer.

So now I'm enjoying granola bars and cookies with nuts in them again. :P

IntenseMagic likes this.
  10. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Man I remember every Halloween my mom would roast the pumpkin seeds, they were so good. I haven't had those in a LONG time

[​IMG]

IntenseMagic and carrie1977 like this.
  11. carrie1977

12. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I had pretty much committed to homeschooling already before my daughter with food allergies came along (her sister is 2.5 years older) but not having to deal with allergies at school was yet another reason I added to my long list of reasons why I love homeschooling. Especially because Caroline has several allergies and not all of them are common, and her worst - milk - is not the one schools typically pay attention to. I guess it's reasonable because the nut allergies seem to be the scariest. But she was contact reactive to milk, sesame, and chickpea (hives if it touched her skin) when she was young. I stopped going to La Leche League meetings because the littles ones toddled around with yogurt covered fingers and such. I was so glad for homeschooling. Plus my homeschool group was allergy-conscious; everyone was careful about asking before sharing food, etc.

Darn! While I was typing this Bart dropped in and I didn't even see him because I was talking too much. :blahblah

IntenseMagic likes this.
  13. carrie1977

I bought two pumpkins a few weeks ago just to get the seeds to roast them. It's so easy to do! I take them to work and my boss goes crazy for them.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Yes I like nuts!

On Monday morning there is a farmers market in my town that has an amazing stand with nuts, spreads, etc. I try to go each Monday for a bag of freshly roasted pistachio mix: pistachio, almond, hazelnut, cashew, and (my fave!) macadamia. Yum!
    I probably have photos, I should scrap a page about this one day.

As I don’t usually eat a lot of meat, eating nuts is important.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. IntenseMagic

My dad was a pharmacist, so he used to tell me that allergies could pop up out of nowhere. Of course he told me this after I had never been allergic to poison ivy, decided to weed the lawn in shorts, and was a rash covered wreck a week later :giggle

Ohhhh I love roasted pumpkin seeds!!

Wow! That has got to be difficult to monitor!

Great that she passed the trial! But I guess your tastes do adapt to what you can have.

Interesting about the milk allergy! My sister was allergic to soooo many things growing up, but milk was one of the things she could have. She outgrew some of them, but still has a few.

michelepixels likes this.
  16. IntenseMagic

Yes, you should definitely scrap that!! I love farmers markets!!

17. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

@IntenseMagic My dad is a pharmacist too! It's why it really annoys me when he eats something with nuts, because an allergy can get worse and he knows this! But yeah, it would have been nice of your dad to warn you of that BEFORE you "played" in poison ivy! That must have been horrible!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  18. IntenseMagic

Funny how they don't take their own advice, huh? lol My dad was the worst for just carrying around a pocket full of pills in case he needed one for something. No container, just loose in his pocket. But if you were ever around him and had a headache or some other ailment, he'd pull a pill out of his pocket for you :giggle.

Tree City likes this.
  19. GlazeFamily3

Yeah, Raileigh's is a contact allergy. But, it is an extremely bad allergy-- contact with a peanut shell will cover her in angry hives in 30 seconds. It was a bear to figure out that allergy because she PASSED A PEANUT TEST where they fed her peanut butter. However, that could definitely be a fluke because we've been told it would be easy for contaminants on nut shells to get into nut butter, so we just steer clear. She also cannot have things like kiwi, honeydew, cantaloupe, etc. because things on the rinds of these fruits transfer to the fruit when you cut them and cause instant throat swelling and rashes on her throat.

I am thankful that we don't have to worry about her crazy allergies in a school. She wants to go to an overnight camp SO badly, but she just isn't ready to monitor the allergies on her own yet and they are so weird that I don't feel comfortable sending her off and letting an adult who doesn't know her deal with it. She went to an overnight church camp this past summer, but my mom was there, so that was different.

Oh-- and to top it all off, she is a vegetarian (completely her choice-- neither me or my husband are), so feeding her can be quite the chore.

michelepixels likes this.
  20. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I love peanut butter (and peanuts by themselves on occasion) but otherwise I don't really eat nuts.