Movies| Pad Patter 3.7.17

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Mar 7, 2017.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Do you ever go see movies at the showhouse? Or do you wait until they come to your living room? Do you get popcorn?

We love popcorn at my house. And if it's movie night at home, we make up popcorn to snack on while we watch. But at the showhouse? Nope! I just don't like the price of it or the flavor. So, 90% of the time, we eschew popcorn, and all snacks/drinks really. We do sometimes get it for epic movies like the last Lord of the Rings. But when munchkin goes with his grandparents, paternal or maternal, they tend to buy popcorn, and usually a drink. We've gotten more picky with which movies we will pay showhouse prices to see, and which we will wait on.

So, do you like to see movies at the showhouses or wait until they are out on DVD/Netflix? And, does popcorn factor in?

keepscrappin likes this.
  2. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

We don't go to the movies very often. And usually it's for something we have really been looking forward to seeing and waiting for it to come out in the theaters. Our biggest thing is to go on Thanksgiving Day morning. Kind of a begin our holiday season tradition. And yes, we get popcorn! My Dad loved popcorn so us kids grew up loving it, too. He would sometimes refuse to go see a movie if he didn't have popcorn money. And now, sometimes I'll go thinking I won't get any and as we walk up to the building...you know how the popcorn smell travels half way to the parking lot????? Gets me every time! And I just have to get some. LOL :)

And I have to share this...When us kids were little we'd ask my Dad if he would pop some popcorn. His answer was always "We'll see." And we'd run off to play yelling "Yay! We get to have popcorn!!!" To us his answer was always a definite YES! And this was back in the days before popcorn poppers. You had to put oil in a pan and warm it up and then the kernels and then hold the lid on while you moved the pot back and forth on the burner and give it a shake every few seconds so it wouldn't burn. It was quite a job to make it.

bestcee, keepscrappin and cfile like this.
  3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

We very seldom go to the movies at the regular theater, only when it's something we've really been anticipating or sometimes on random summer days. It's just tooo expensive and I'm a tight wad :giggle. I'm also just really bad at sitting for any length of time. I get way too antsy. We do try to go to the drive-in a few times during the season it's open. It's cheaper and I can move around more during the movie. I do love movie theater popcorn, so we do buy it when we go. It's part of the special treat of a movie day. But, we get the big one to share with free refills.

bestcee and keepscrappin like this.
  4. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

We have a cinema cafe here where you can order a meal so we will usually do a matinee lunch thingy and then have a lite dinner or no dinner depending on how hungry we are later. I think we went to the movie theatre 5 times last year? The movies/selections have not been the greatest lately, so unless it is like Startrek or Fantastic Beasts, we will wait until they come on cable. I don't pay for the movies on demand at home either.. they need to come on the cable channels I already pay for! We love Popcorn, but after both of us broke teeth on it, we haven't eaten it in years. The cost of the dentist and crowns is too expensive for popcorn! At home, we sometimes do snacks but most of the time it is normal watching.

keepscrappin likes this.
  5. cfile

Jan - I remember those days too BM (Before Microwave) .. Jiffy Pop was out but Mom never bought that.. it was popcorn that you would measure out, oil and then melt butter on the side for after when it was popped.. I remember our pot was slightly warped on the bottom.. we had gas stove so it worked out ok.. lol YUM!! Great memories!

bestcee, Jan and keepscrappin like this.
  6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

The last film DH and I saw in the theater was The Hangover. The FIRST Hangover. The Hangover came out June 2009. But my mom and I saw The Other Woman together, so that's technically the last film I saw in theater (so like 3 years ago?). Oh, the kids and I do see a couple older films (like, ones already out for 1 or 2 years) in the summer at a cinema near us that does a special $1 kids movie. Problem is, it's packed and loud. Day cares and summer camps come, so you've got, no joke, 20 kids per 2 adults. Not exactly a great ratio for settling kids in what should be a quiet theater. But like I said, they're older movies and we've already seen them, so I don't mind.
    So yeah, Netflix gets most of our business! My issue is, not only do DH and I have to pay about $25 for 2 tickets, but we also have to pay $30 or more for a sitter. We can buy a film AND pizza for less than that lol, if we're patient enough to wait. (The only reason we saw The Hangover was cuz my parents watched DD. We were at their place to celebrate Father's Day--and nothing says "Father's Day" like leaving your parents with your toddler! *giggle* But they said we should go out, so it wasn't like we ghosted lol.)
    As for snacks: I don't care for popcorn, so none for me. When my dad took the kids to see the LEGO movie (the "original," not the Batman lol), he got them a "kids tray," with popcorn, a drink, and fruit snacks. They love Papa lol! And I refuse to spend $5 on a box of Sno-Caps that I could buy for $1 at the dollar store. So no treats.

7. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Sometimes. Many times, it's in spurts, and depends on the movie. I tend to take the kids when there is a special - Two for Tuesday or $5 matinee, matinees in general or when we have gift cards. I sneak water.... and occasionally snacks.:hide I get the same candies, but from the grocery for a $1 or $2 instead of paying $5 a box or whatever exorbitant amount. I do usually buy a popcorn and one soda for the boys and I to share, and get a bigger size, as then there are free refills, which we use, lol! I am a part of a program, so even the popcorn and soda are discounted. That helps. I think everything about the movies are overpriced - to the making of them down to the popcorn and soda sales. ugh.

We love the fork and screen movies, but unless my parents are taking us, we don't usually bring the boys. If we go, it's usually part of a night out, but that is rarely. (We'd rather go out to dinner with friends and actually hang out and talk!)

Most of our movie watching is at home. With DH working for Verizon, we get every Premium movie channel free. If not, then it's usually like $5 for a new movie. I'd rather spend that than the $50 to take us all to the movies. So, we opt for that and the comfort of home.

keepscrappin and cfile like this.
  8. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

If we had more money we'd go to the movie theater more often. My husband and daughters especially love movies and the big screen. Instead, we only go every few months to see certain shows that we especially want to see on the big screen, and usually we don't pay for the exorbitantly priced snacks. Although I recently heard that the theaters don't make much from ticket prices, instead making most of their profit from the snacks, so maybe if I want to support my local theater I ought to buy a snack or two sometimes.

The last movie I saw in the theater was Fantastic Beasts. But I went even more recently to see a special screening of the final episode of the Sherlock season in January.

We use Netflix and occasionally purchase movies. I do enjoy popcorn, along with most of my family. I pop kernels in a big pot. We don't own a microwave or a corn popper by choice.

9. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I actually go to the theater often. I always go with a girlfriend or my daughter. We always catch the morning show as it is only $5. I love the popcorn LOL..... I take it how they give it to me, but I have a girlfriend and years ago we went to see one of the Twilight movies she was putting butter on hers........ we got up to leave and her lap was full of butter. We laughed so hard we almost wet our pants!

If I watch a movie with my hubby it is always at home. He has only been to the theater one time and that was to see Its a wonderful life in an old theater, which was pretty cool.

10. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

I'm not entirely sure where I fall on the theater subject. I do love seeing a movie on the big screen, but other people are distracting to me. My husband and I just went to see Lion a couple weekends ago and even though I was completely sucked into the movie... there was this one woman who went in and out of the theater a half dozen times (or so it seemed). Made me a little crazy. But watching a movie at home, I'm distracted by everything else (my phone, the dog, whatever)... sigh.

We used to rarely go to the theater here at home. Maybe once a year. But when we're at our place in Michigan we usually see lots of movies. We would go to the drive-in every weekend and see the double feature and now we've started going to the little one screen theater in the town near our place. I think one reason why its easier there is because we don't over think it... we just go see what's on and then discuss.

Now that the kids are both in high school, my husband and I just had the epiphany that we can go to the movie pretty much whenever we want! We don't go that often, but we have gone to a few since the beginning of the year (Oscar best picture nominees and a filmed lecture on the Beatles St. Pepper album).

As for popcorn, nothing makes me happier than theater popcorn! Love that stuff! I rarely eat popcorn outside of a theater though.

bestcee, MandaKay and keepscrappin like this.
  11. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Absolutely. We go to the cinema, once a month or so and always get popcorn and soda.
    When the children were younger I would only pay for the movie and we'd smuggle in contraband. Their Dad always bought them popcorn and soda so I thought, why the heck don't I? It's the same credit card. So since then...soda and popcorn complete the treat. If DD is feeling like a treat at home she will also rustle up some microwave popcorn and we will watch an episode or two.

keepscrappin, jk703 and cfile like this.
  12. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

We have Friday Family Fun Night every week which involves storebought pizza and a Redbox movie. It sometimes involves airpopped popcorn. It usually takes 2-3 weeks for a new release to hit Redbox so if it's something we've been waiting on, we'll go to Family Video (which is a REAL movie rental place like Blockbuster -- GASP!) and rent it.

I love going to the movies & movie popcorn but rarely go. I did go in January for my bday and saw 'La La Land' with my mom & sister but otherwise I go once or twice a year with my daughter who is finally old enough to sit still(ish) for a whole movie. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie in a theater with my husband -- it might have been before our daughter was born in 2009. At home, he likes to 'watch' the Redbox movie with his eyes closed.

13. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I'll go to the movies any time! Theater or home I don't care, I just love movies & the company I watch with. I'm not a big popcorn person, so that doesn't sway me one way or the other. If I'm in the theater & take my cousins they like to get candy & a slushy, so depending on the day I treat them to that or we just watch the movie. At home the snacks depend on who I'm watching with, lol.

14. Lor

Lor you've always had the power, my dear

We very seldom go to the theater; only if its something truly worthy of the big screen. And we watch alot of movies at home, especially those that are newly out. And popcorn is a must, either way. :-)

15. cfile

Love FIOS :)

16. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Haven't been for awhile and probably won't. We have a good surround sound system and a big screen 4K TV so we enjoy watching TV at home. I used to love going to the movies and chowing down on the popcorn with extra butter...yum. But...no more....no popcorn for me. If I do go to the movies, I will bring my own snacks (following a keto plan now).

17. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

The last movie we saw in the theater was Hidden Figures. What an amazing and inspiring movie! I was so upset it got ignored at the Oscars. Boo!

We save movie trips for special occasions, or those special movies that would be seen best on the large screen. The "bonus" I get from work every year is two tickets to the theater complex in our building. They don't get used right away, and since my kids also work at the same place we get 6 tickets a year. We have tons of Disney films as well as Netflix, so we watch a lot at home. It's a lot easier on the wallet!

We usually don't purchase food/drinks at the movies because it's so darned expensive! But if it's DD with a few of her friends we splurge on the big bucket and let them split it. We can refill it for free on our way out, too.

I love popcorn, and it's one of the snacks I can eat. I purchased a Whirly Pop a few years back and it gets used all the time. We mix it up all the time: coconut, canola, or red palm oil (that gives it the "movie theater" taste!). We top it with salt and at times Cabot powdered cheddar cheese. Yum! We even put cinnamon sugar on it once, and it wasn't bad. My favorite thing to make is to make kettle corn in it. It's so good! One of these days I'll branch out into some of the more exotic flavorings and see what they are like. I've pinned a lot of popcorn snack "recipes" on Pinterest, so we'll see.

bestcee, MandaKay and keepscrappin like this.
  18. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

The kids and I go to the movies together a lot. Usually once a month...sometimes twice. We can't wait for Beauty and the Beast!!

Popcorn is a must. I love me some popcorn with butter and salt. So bad for us but so yummy! Haha! We usually smuggle in candy and some water for me. I don't drink soda and I'm not paying $5+ for a bottled water. I'm sensible like that. LMAO!

keepscrappin likes this.
  19. chastml

chastml Shock me, Sinead O'Rebellion

We might go to the movies once a year. Like this year, we went to see Secret Life of Pets for my daughter's birthday. We get popcorn and sodas. We usually get the big popcorn, so we can refill it. We watch a lot of movies at home. My sister got us a popcorn popper for Christmas one year, so we pop up a big bowl and snuggle on the couch together.

keepscrappin likes this.
  20. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I'm married to a non-tv or movie watcher so basically I never go TO the movies. However, I do watch a lot of the tv but only when they are in Netflix or Direct Tv has them for free. Yes, I'm cheap and I have so many on my queue that I don't care if it's new. I really want a new DVD player so I can get really new ones if I want from Redbox. I like $1.52 for a movie.

"I sneak water.... and occasionally snacks." Jean's comment reminded me of taking my 3 chicks back in the day to Saturday movies. My eldest had an army fatigue jacket and he carried enough candy for the 4 of us - all from the $ store which was right next to the theater! I believe at that time the whole theater was doing it except for popcorn of course!