January 6: Dispersion (Technique Challenge)

Discussion in 'MOC 2018 Challenges' started by IntenseMagic, Jan 6, 2018.

1. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Can we use stock photos (from sites like Pixabay, Pexels etc) in this or any other challenge?
    @IntenseMagic @mrs2a50

2. gwany1999

gwany1999 Worst Cooks in America - I watch it, I live it

I am not getting this one at all and it's very frustrating.

I am stuck at this point.

Now we are going back to the top copy we made and select just the subject. I used the quick selection tool to isolate my granddaughter. You can do this however is easiest for you, and you don’t have to be absolutely exact. Once the selection is made, make 2 of copies of just your subject using ctrl-j or cmd-j. Once you make the copies of the subject, you don't need that second background copy, so just hide it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3. silent ranks

silent ranks Don't forget to turn back around

oh goodness. I will try that tomorrow with a fresh brain I think lol.
    thank you <3<3

4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I want to redo this and replay with making my own brushes, but it is MOC and there is NOT time! lol but I have used other techniques and they are tough..this is a great one @IntenseMagic ! Thank you for all your work!

[​IMG]

KittyY, Karen, elitka and 4 others like this.
  5. MiekSter

MiekSter We only regret the chances we didn't take

Ohhhhhhh, this really is a challenge! And I LOVE it! Never did this before, thank you so much for learning new techniques!

6. nhudao

nhudao Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I spent a half of day to understand the technique. Truly, i am still not clearly the technique. @IntenseMagic Please let me know my page was correct or not.

7. willimena

willimena Well-Known Member

@IntenseMagic - that was a very well written tutorial. Such a fascinating technique plus I had to teach myself how to make brushes out of some of the png splatters I had, so double learning. Thanks!

[​IMG]

Christina W and IntenseMagic like this.
  8. nanascrapper

nanascrapper Well-Known Member

dispersion.JPG Ok. Well I have spent hours trying to accomplish this technique and am pulling my hair out! I work in PSE 11. I have extracted my subject OK, but my version of PSE does not have content aware, so I have tried my best to use the clone tool and managed fairly well, but getting past next stage is proving a stumbling block! I am trying to use the brush on my extracted layers and nothing is happening, in fact my distorted layer disappears??? Is there another way to achieve this look, or can you suggest another instruction video? I have watched countless videos and these have not helped much at all. It is not easy to look up close to your pictures showing the layer details either. It is really frustrating! My work space looks like this. As you can see my distorted picture does not show up. HELP!

9. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

@nanascrapper With the top layer being a copy of the original (from what I can see) you need to make it invisible. Otherwise you won't see what you are doing underneath.

edit: just realized it IS invisible. Sorry, I thought it was visible because I am not used to the red stroke through the eye...
    See my next post though.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  10. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

@nanascrapper Oh, and right now, your distorted layer doesn't show up because it is totally masked out. One you have made the top layer invisible you start removing the non-distorted bits by using a black brush on the white mask (2.nd layer from top), and then you bring the distorted dispersed pieces to show by using a white brush on the black mask (3rd layer from top).

11. willimena

Hi @nanascrapper I'm in pse11 - I could try to help .. my layers palette ended up looking like this (I have renamed my copy1 and copy2 for explanation reasons). I'm up for another half an hour if I can help out.
    upload_2018-1-6_23-4-32.png

Attached Files:

IntenseMagic likes this.
  12. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

@IntenseMagic must it be a photo? Could it be an element, a balloon or kite perhaps? And, if it must be a photo, must it be our own?

13. willimena

Totally happy to be corrected but I think the aim of this step is to remove the subject from the photo. So one way those of us who don't have content aware could do this would be to use the clone tool to 'cover over' where the subject was in the photo. So in my second bottom layer in the example I provided above I have removed the subject by stamping over the area the cicada was with the clone stamp (helps that he was on such a plain background). Does that help?

14. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

@Nightshadow I am totally fine with this!! Thanks so much for playing along and doing what you can with your program!

15. IntenseMagic

I'd be ok with a balloon or kite or something. The technique is really more the intent than what you're using it on :)

16. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

Here is mine, for some reason I ended up with butterflies around the rooster... Hmmmm. @IntenseMagic Is this okay?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Nightshadow, Christina W and jesskab like this.
  17. krizo

krizo Well-Known Member

18. IntenseMagic

You don't really extract with the clone stamp, more just cover her up. The goal is to have a layer that is just background. You can use the quick selection tool in both instances, I did try it that way. It was a little harder for me to get a really clean copy of the background that way, but it works fine for the end result.

19. IntenseMagic

:yourock You are a rockstar! Thank you so much for all of this!! It looks awesome!!!

bestcee likes this.
  20. IntenseMagic

I'm fine with a stock photo if you want to use one. I'm more interested in you trying the technique than what you're trying it on :)