In hindsight....

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jk703, Jan 18, 2018.

1. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

So... we bought a new washer and dryer after the holidays. Our dryer was beginning to literally eat holes in clothes. Out with the old and in with the new. We shopped around - appliance stores, read reviews, checked amazon, weighed the pros and cons, worked out what was available sooner rather than later, and finally made a decision. We bought some heavy duty HUGE washer and dryer that are working out perfectly. I love them.

So, the washer and dryer were delivered, and installed - we ended up using Best Buy. Best salesman in the store, turnaround time was great, worst delivery and installation ever. That is a whole nother story!!! Finally all set, and I go to do a load of laundry. Get it going, and then I go to switch the clothes to the dryer. Here's where I should have thought of beforehand.

I can only reach the bottom of the washer on my tippy tippy toes (I'm not that short 5'5"/5'6")! In hindsight - I should have seen if I could touch the bottom of the washer when shopping for washers! :giggle My 13 year old is going to be learning how to do his own wash (since he has his own man cave room now and well, 13) and he's going to need a step stool! :lmao

Now, every time, I switch the laundry, I start cracking up thinking I'm going to fall in the washer and get washed!
    :laundrynaughty Well, not on it... but in it! You get the idea!

So, have you learned anything in hindsight?

cfile, Mylinn, bbymks5 and 2 others like this.
  2. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Oh how funny!!!! I love front loaders. Never did like top loaders-----maybe that's why!!! Well, if you fall in, just give a yell, we will come pull you out!!!! :rofl

3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

You are not alone... I have this same issue with my washer. But only with a load with lots of small stuff (socks, underwear, etc). I did not get a big heavy duty washer either since it is only me. I pretty much do only 2-3 loads every 2 weeks. But I am short. 5'1" on a good day. I keep thinking I should put a step stool by the washer for when I need it!

Another issue I have is my new bathroom counter. The company that did the remodel did tell me it would be taller than the one they took out but I never imagined how much taller it would be. It is the same height as the kitchen cabinets. In fact, I had both rooms done and have the same cabinets in both. Now when I brush my teeth and lean over the sink, my droopy you-know-whats rest on the counter!

I've had the washer long enough that I just deal with it (it is 5 years old). But, I do sometimes wish I had done some more research before doing the bathroom this way. I love the walk-in shower they did but the cabinets....

bestcee and jk703 like this.
  4. HavaDrPepper

I could never have a front loader with this puppy... She takes things out of the dryer and runs upstairs with it. She loves socks and washcloths and doesn't care if they are wet!

cfile likes this.
  5. jk703

I'll give a holler! We opted for the top loaders - lower price, bigger machine - I think it's 6.2 or someting, and I thought it was easier on my back, lol! Now, with the leaning all the way in, I'm not so sure, but at least I'm giggling and the clothes are washed.

6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

This made me laugh! I can just see you chasing her to get back your clothes!

7. bestcee

They aren't on a pedestal you can move them off of are they? My mom had to switch to front loaders because she likes the pedestal drawers, but is too short to reach in the top loaders! (5'2-5'3)

jk703 likes this.
  8. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

Oh that’s annoying! Isn’t there a way to return it for a better height?

I don’t understand those washing machines with the opening on top btw. I had never seen on irl until I moved to Canada.

jk703 likes this.
  9. jk703

No pedestals. :giggle... I'd definitely need a ladder then.

I've only had washing machines that have the opening on the top, lol! I can reach the buttons, the lid, etc. - my issue is that it's so deep that when I reach in, to get to the very bottom, I'm on my tippy toes. I think this is standard height for washers here - it didn't seem extra tall in the store. I think it's wider and deeper than most. I'll keep it, it does a huge amount of clothes, quickly, very clean and fresh, and we got it for a great price! :)

10. jk703

Benson, our 6 month old puppy, steals the clothes from us when we fold. Mostly, the socks from the boys as they don't pay attention as well when folding. lol!

Karen likes this.
  11. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Oh Jenn, that is funny! Hopefully you can work something out to make it easier, cuz as I mentioned in Justine's thread, laundry is never-ending!

When we bought this house it came with a nice washer/dryer set and they have the pedestals, which make the w/d a nice height for my giant self. :) IDK what we'll do when it's time to replace them (which better not be for a LONG time) cuz I have become VERY used to the added height. I don't have to bend down like I'm tying my shoes to reach into the w/d lol! But that's not exactly your problem since it's the depth, not the the height, that's the problem.

That's so funny because I never saw a front-loader IRL until I was an adult. My mom always had a top-load washer, and it's what I bought for myself because I like that I can keep the lid open and let dirty clothes "sit." It was great when I cloth diapered my babies...let those smelly things sit in the soap for as long as possible lol! Now I've got the front-load washer as I mentioned above, because why keep my old top-loader set when I've got such a nice, pretty front-loader "included" with my home? :)

12. HavaDrPepper

Yeah, there is that too... I used to fold clothes while watching tv and putting the stuff on the couch until everything was folded and ready to put away. Nope, can't do that now... Washcloths come up missing. So I have to put the basket on the bed which does sit up higher with the new mattress. She can't jump up on it yet (hoping she never will) but I can't put the clothes close to the edge cause she can get her mouth high enough to pull something off. If she can ever jump up on the bed, I'm not sure what I will do to fold clothes! She is 8 months and pretty close to full size, may just gain weight so here is hoping!

13. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

That's exactly why I cannot do any of the updated top loading machines!! I'm 5'2" and had to have half of my body inside the display models to touch the bottom, and hubby is 5'6" with a Pooh Bear belly so it wasn't looking any better for him LOL!!!

jk703 and bestcee like this.
  14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I swear that sometimes I put off big purchases like this because I worry about what I'm forgetting to think about. Lol! You can do research all you want, but sometimes you have to USE these things to know what you like and don't like and by then it's too late to return. I was looking at replacing our built in oven in the kitchen in the fall and kept looking and looking at them, but same thing... how am I supposed to know what i want until I use it? Lol! I did a ton of reading user reviews to see what those people liked and didn't like... then I ended up not having to replace it because my hubby was able to replace the broken heating element and resurrected it from the dead for a little longer. :giggle

bestcee, cfile and jk703 like this.
  15. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

we have always had top loads. I am always afraid with front loads if there is a leak in the seal you will have all the water coming out in a wave!

HavaDrPepper and jk703 like this.
  16. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

When we bought our first house, I insisted on getting a chest freezer, because my parents had one and I thought we needed one too. However, it turned out to be very hard for me to reach the bottom -- I never put anything into it, because I couldn't get it out again!

We gave it to my parents when their old freezer died, and I warned my mom about the reach (since we're about the same height). She told me it didn't matter, but after using it for a while, she told me she has the same problem!

I purposely got a front load washer the last time I bought one, because I was tired of the struggle to get socks and underwear out of a top load. That was 17 years (and one water pump replacement) ago and I'm still happy with that decision. I didn't get the pedestals (because they were cheaply made $150 plastic drawers that didn't open on the demo models); I kneel on the floor in front of the washer, shake out the clothes, and toss them into the dryer. I guess I shouldn't be there so long that it is worth kneeling (LOL) but it really isn't a bother, especially when I have to reach inside to grab a stray sock!

jk703 likes this.
  17. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

This thread reminded me I need to go move laundry from the washer to the dryer. :rollin

And my most recent appliance purchase, a fridge, is okay, but I'm not totally happy with it. I was skeptical about the drawer-style freezer from the start and now that I've used it for a few weeks, I'm confirmed. It's ANNOYING. Stuff doesn't fit very well and it's very inefficient. I'll learn to live with it because we can't exchange fridges can we? And we use our things until they die so I'll probably have this fridge until we all move out of this house when my kids are grown up. But I can't believe this drawer freezer is so popular that it's all that's available in larger fridges. Ugh.

18. jk703

I had a drawer freezer, and then we moved... and this house had the top freezer. I hate it! I can't wait for it to die so I can go back to the drawer! :giggle I go in the fridge so often, I don't want to bend over to see what's in it. And the amount of times that I've hit my head on the corner of the freezer when putting food away or someone is getting ice, grrrrr! Plus, I don't like side by side - not enough room for all the food my boys eat! I can't wait to go back to the drawer! :giggle

19. bestcee

Different folks, different strokes?
    I miss my drawer freezer! I have a top one, and I hate having all the vegetables slid out on my head when I'm looking for one. Or, like Jenn said, smacking my head on the corner. That hurts! Also, I have a problem with munchkin not pushing it shut hard enough, so it sits open a smidge. Just enough to work harder! Luckily not enough to defrost everything.

20. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

LOL I have the same problem with our washer!! The first week we had it I was so sore from bending and stretching just trying to reach everything. If I'm barefoot it's almost impossible. Having my shoes on gives me about an inch more toward a little easier reaching. My Honey built me the nicest little step thingie to help me reach better. He surprised me with it one day after work. I didn't know he was making it for me. But somehow, because of the way I'm built it doesn't make a bit of difference in making it easier! My arms are still too short to reach the bottom. Soooo weird!! But let me tell you! I can now reach things on the shelves ABOVE the washer and dryer!! LOL Have you seen photos of little kids reaching down into boxes or baskets to get something out of them and all you see is their little backsides with their feet off the ground because they are falling into said boxes or baskets? That's what I think of when I reach into my washer. LOL :) Only it's me falling in. Oh, and I have found that a pair of tongs like you use to turn meat over when cooking....just a short pair....works really good for getting the things I can't get. But if I find coins or screws or anything like that in my washer I have to get my Honey to get them out for me.