How Do Font Managers Work & Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by EHStudios, Oct 26, 2017.

1. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I really want/need to organize my fonts to see what I have & maybe organize my categories/styles.

I don't really know how font managers work or the best ones to try?

2. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

I am using NexusFont. It is free, easy to use and rather reliable.
    I am only speaking for that specific program now. It lets you organize your fonts into sets and you can temporarily install a chosen set of fonts. Or - if you chose to do that - temporarily install all fonts in a certain folder.

I have all my fonts in one font folder and break them down into various sets, e.g. brush, script etc. If I want to look at all brush fonts I just select that set to look at.

However, all other fonts are then not installed, so if you used a font that is not in that set on a layout and open the layout you will get a warning that the font is not installed. I usually solve this by loading all fonts I want to use in a specific layout in a set called "current layout". So when I open a layout I select that set in Nexus beforehand and all fonts are there.

bestcee, EHStudios and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  3. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

It would be cool to have my fonts organized into categories/styles, but I think it's so much work.
    Right now I do this: I write each font's name using that font. It's all mixed, but I think it's easy to find what I want.
    Here is my last sheet:
    0111.jpg
    And sometimes I use https://wordmark.it/. It allows you to write a phrase and preview it with fonts on your computer.

EHStudios likes this.
  4. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I had a bunch of categories in Mac's Font Book but they got poofed! when I had to reinstall everything. Somehow I really don't see much of that categorizing happening again any time soon.

5. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Like Rikki, I use NexusFont. I really don't keep many fonts loaded in PS at all, just the main ones I use most often. I just start up Nexus font when I'm working on a layout. I like it because I can preview the font in different sizes and colors, and even in whatever sample text I want. It's pretty user friendly and you can create sets of fonts for organization.

EHStudios and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  6. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I haven't used a font organizer for many years. It was too much trouble when I did. I solved my problem by just not having thousands of fonts. When it comes down to it, I probably use less than 50 fonts other than those that are installed by the operating system. But that is what works for me... less decision making no matter what I'm doing that uses fonts!

bestcee likes this.
  7. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Exactly this. I do the same. I don't even install fonts anymore since they can bog down the PC and PS. I had a blog post about using it, hold on and I'll see if I can find it

EHStudios likes this.
  8. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

I'll definitely watch some videos this weekend.

My issue is I tend to scrap lots in a row, so I never know what fonts I'll use on each page & wouldn't want to keep opening & closing photoshop to keep temporarily installing & uninstalling

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  9. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

Well, you don't have to open and close PS. Once you load a new set the others are just de-installed and PS recognizes the new fonts as available now (and the other fonts as gone).

LoveItScrapIt and bestcee like this.
  10. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

On my Mac in PSE, once the fonts are installed in Font Book they are there and active unless I disable them. Then they don't appear in my PSE list of fonts.

11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I use nexus font too.
    I don't have to open and close PSCC. It auto changes.
    Mine is set up in 4 or 5 groups, and then I tag them instead of groups. My groups are mostly by the font creator or store (like I have a TLP folder).
    So, I can have them all open and "installed" and just click the tag to narrow down what I see.
    That works for me because I tend to think 'I need a script font' or 'I need an outline font'.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.