Free Concert? What would you do?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by krscraps, Sep 12, 2017.

1. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

Hi guys!

So I'm on the fence about something. My best friend is getting married on September 23. On setpember 24, there's this huge benefit concert in Charlottesville, VA. That's a five hour drive the day after a huge wedding. Then the next day it's a 5 hour drive home.

Would you guys do it if you were in my shoes? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I live in the middle of nowhere. seriously, it is a 4 hour drive to most places.
    I would go to wedding, then drive the next day to concert. Get hotel an hour away from concert. Go to concert, stay in hotel....and then think about the pages you can make! tee hee

Meredith78, cfile and jesskab like this.
  3. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

I'm with Anne! It's something I totally would have done when I was younger.

4. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I think for me it would depend on what time of day the wedding was and if I could get away from there fairly early, then I'd be all in on the concert. I was just looking at that exact concert the other day :) I live about 3 hours from Charlottesville! It looks amazing!

Tree City and cfile like this.
  5. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

I'm in the wedding. So I would leave the morning of the concert. XD

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

For me it would depend on how hung-over I was the next day...sounds bad, but it's true LOL

Rikki, KatrinaHunt13, Karen and 2 others like this.
  7. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I would do it if the concert was something I wanted to see/hear very, very much! Definitely reasonable.

8. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

This. :giggle I'm a responsible person, with kids, and don't get out all fancy schmancy very often. I usually don't have an issue and know my limits but... so for me it would be a combination of late night, some adult beverages, time to get there, and stress level, lol!

For me though... everything is so close, around here, I would do it. (I'm in NJ, and PNC Arts Center amphitheater is far enough to hear faintly, but close enough to walk.) If I had to travel hours and that was my situation, I probably wouldn't since I know I wouldn't want to drive that... especially not being used to it.

bbymks5 and Tree City like this.
  9. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I think it depends on what a 4 hour drive is like for you. I do a 5 hour drive one way every few months for my kids' doc appointments & it's gotten pretty normal. If it was a concert I really wanted to go to 4 hours wouldn't seem like much at all.

AnneofAlamo likes this.
  10. busywoman139

busywoman139 Wish and hope and ... poof! There it is!

I mean, it's DMB so..... I say, GO!

11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Well, can you go? It says the request period is closed?

Me, I would probably go. But, we drive about 7 hours one way to see family every 6 weeks or so, so 5 hours isn't too big a deal. Especially if I could drive home the next day and crash for a few extra hours. Because adrenaline will only take me so far!

12. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Charlotteville is 5 hours from me as well. I am staying home, but then again I am now 56 and can't deal with a lot of crowds and noise anymore! LOL Enjoy the wedding.

If you do not have to make a decision off the cuff, go to the wedding and enjoy. Being in the wedding party, there may be some after party stuff. I would enjoy the heck out of the wedding with friends and family.

The next morning, if you feel you are up to it, since it is a free concert with donation fee entry then the seats are going to be nose bleed anyway, so go if you feel like it in the morning.

To me, there is no guarantee of seating room at the concert. UVA Scott Stadium can only hold so many and if it is raining?? I say skip the concert, and enjoy the celebration of your friend's wedding to the fullest.

13. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Don't drink to much at the wedding ,Enjoy it . Then go to the concert ! You are young you can do it ! But better still , find someone that can come with you and share the journey and the driving. But definitely the wedding is the important bit !

14. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Oh My Goodness GO!!! I would totally GO!

15. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

If I didn't have a ticket, and I wasn't guaranteed a seat after driving 5 hours, then I wouldn't go. However, if I had a ticket to at least get me in the stadium, then I'd be very tempted to want to go. But with traffic and unknown parking and the weather on top of not having a ticket, then I just don't think I'd go. (But I hate driving/traffic, so that's my issue.)

But another HOWEVER: if you want to go and you're able to go, then you should do it!

16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Looks like a great concert! Do you know if there is any kind of brunch the next morning that you will be going to with the wedding party? Sometimes people do those and open gifts in front of people etc. Better check to be sure you have a free day the day after the wedding. :)

17. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I'm usually pretty good too, but if I don't have a little one with me, it can sometimes be a Go Big or Go Home situation :martini

jk703 likes this.
  18. Juliestcyr

Juliestcyr Grammar nerd and proud of it

Question: How far are you driving to get to the wedding? Is the concert kinda on the way home? Or not really?

Also... I would totally have done this when I was 26. But I am nearly 36 and really hard to impress these days.

busywoman139 likes this.
  19. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

I've decided against it. It's 5 hours out of the way from the wedding and I hate driving, especially while tired. It's an upsetting choice, but probably the smartest one.

Thank you everyone for your input!