Creating Coordinating Pages

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by GlazeFamily3, Jan 20, 2018.

1. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I am just curious... do you feel the need to make your pages coordinate if they are for the same event?

I have mainly scrapped Disney pictures using Project Mouse this past year, so they obviously work together because Britt and Krista's kits coordinate well. But, as I go back and try to catch up on the first nine years of my daughter's life, I am unsure how I really want to tackle that as far as coordinating pages go.

2. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

Honestly I normally never scrap the full event. For some reason I am all over the place in jumping from one photo to another with no "destination" in mind.

I recently started using Lightroom more so I am working from my "oldest photo" to current plus throw in the ones I have scanned of my kids from the early 80's.

I do enjoy the cohesion of the pages "matching" but at the same time I also enjoy making some "photos" stand out more.

I guess in the long run; you have to decide how you want your pages to look and go with what makes you happy.

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

If I am going to have a number of pages for an event, I will use the same kit (I am a kit scrapper) for all pages. I may differ the background paper but it is still the same kit.

When I did my 2010 cruise album, I also used the same kit for any pictures that were for the same thing... like the digital scavenger hunt was several pages so I kept them coordinated. Each port also used the same kit. That way as I'm going through the album, I can see that all the pages with a certain background go together. The next background color was a different place. Things that were just a single page were not coordinated.

My 2013 Disney pages were also done the same way. Parade was all one kit, Main Street were coordinated as were other areas of the parks. There were a few single pages that don't coordinate with anything else.

I love the way the albums flow when coordinating pages for an event.

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  4. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Sometimes. How's that for a definitive answer? Some albums - if I'm sitting down and consciously doing them "alike" - I'll definitely do it for; otherwise I don't worry about it. I made one trip album using the same set of kits, and I'll tell you I never wanted to see those papers or elements again! It did make for a very cohesive book, though. Now I try to use template sets to make things "alike", and I don't really worry about kits. It's more of your particular scrapping style that makes things seem the same, anyway.

GlazeFamily3 and wvsandy like this.
  5. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

No. I usually (but not always) coordinate two pages next to each other, but turn the page and there is something new.

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  6. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

I have done both. Usually I do two page layouts and make them coordinated. I like my books to have a cohesiveness and flow. But since I have been doing challenges, I have lots of single pages. Sometimes I will make a second page to coordinate with it if I still have pictures and story I want to include about the event. However, sometimes I don't.

When I plan a whole album of one event such as a special long vacation, then, yes I always try to coordinate it to be a seamless whole.

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  7. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I don't make a whole lot of double pages, I just don't seem to have enough photos; but when I do I need them to be matchy matchy.

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  8. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Sometimes I coordinate and sometimes I don't! Ha. I think it just depends on the mood I'm in.
    I have printed both coordinated and uncoordinated albums and I love them both.

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  9. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Kind of. I have done travel albums where I did make each side coordinate but made a couple of really different sets of pages for one Italian trip in particular. I always feel that those jump out too much. When I'm doing a project like that where I know I may have 25-60 pages I do tend to keep them pretty coordinated. If it's a multi city project, I may make each city have it's own fairly subtle plan. I love template sets like @LynnG 's and have made several albums and combined different sets in the longer albums.

Good luck - projects always involve a lot of planning for me. That's the good and the bad!

GlazeFamily3 and LynnG like this.
  10. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

When I created pages for an album I had printed last year about a bus camping trip I took around Australia way back in 1975, most pages were not coordinating. Two lots of open pages have coordinating pages not necessarily double pages. But even with the other pages not coordinating I made it work by each page having a solid colour border in the way I had to upload the layouts to the website of the place who printed the album.

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Yes, and no. If I'm doing a double spread and scrapping both sides at the moment, then I will coordinate them. But if I scrap two pages separately - it's unlikely they coordinate. When I print books I like to put the pages in date order. But if the two that go next to each other look hideous, I'll switch them around. It doesn't bother me at all.

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  12. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I don't feel the need to coordinate pages if they are of the same event. When I paper scrapped, I either did double pages that coordinated or they were single pages and they just went in the album chronologically whether they matched or not. I've never really felt a strong need to have them coordinate across the page break . . . I was more focused on the photo(s) and making sure that whatever I was using on the page helped me with my story/theme for the page. Like, I have a ton of photos from birthday events, but depending on the story I want to tell, I don't necessarily need them to all match.

Having said ALL that, essentially, it's going to be up to you and what you want your albums to look like. Someone else mentioned before that using the same kit for an entire album gets monotonous, and I'd agree with that. I think it's easier for me to use a large variety of products - keeps my creativity going - and keeps me from getting bored or bogged down.

scrpprgirl and GlazeFamily3 like this.
  13. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I think it depends. I like a little variation in my pages because I don't want them to get boring. Like you said, the Project Mouse items all coordinate, but there are so many packs that nothing looks "the same," which I LOVE. :) But for a one-day event (maybe a bday party) that I'll need more than one page for, IDK. I don't feel like I have to use the exact same kit for all the pages, but I don't want drastically different styles. So, either all art journaling or all "traditional" or all pocket pages. But that's about as coordinated as I get lol. Two-page spreads need to match so that they are "read" as one spread.

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  14. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

mine don't tend to co-ordinate unless they are for a mini album. The DYD I just did was the first time I used one main kit and template set for a full album.

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  15. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Unless I'm doing a specific album or specifically working on a 2 page spread, then no, I don't care if they match at all. It doesn't bother me :)

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  16. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

Nope, never have. I am the rougue scrapper!!! :happyclap I scrap with whatever strikes me at the moment and whatever the photos call out for. Makes for some interesting albums!!!!!

IntenseMagic and GlazeFamily3 like this.
  17. stamdl99

stamdl99 Active Member

This is an interesting thread. I’m just getting started so hadn’t even considered this. I keep a daily journal that is kind of arty/collage/color play/photos and the facing pages are similar in color. But, I can also see never finishing a digital scrapbook if I get too hung up on that and having scattered bits and pieces instead. Most of my scrapping will be from the past as my kids are grown and my daily journal suits my present life. We have had several recurring vacations and family reunion trips so I think those can easily go into separate books using kits. I’d like to do a book for each of my kids but those are going to take some time to sort back through digital and printed photos first. I have a lot of pics of my 17 month old granddaughter (of course!) so should probably start there. And there are so many cute baby/pink kits to choose from!

bestcee and GlazeFamily3 like this.
  18. MrsGaramer

MrsGaramer Using my imagination

I'm the same. If it's a specific album (travel usually) then i'll coordinate it but if it's just a yearly album then they will all be different

IntenseMagic and GlazeFamily3 like this.
  19. KairynLisa

KairynLisa Wouldn't make it as a fighter pilot

Funny this is a question I tackled when I first began scrapping... I wanted a cohesive flow to my albums, but didn't want to scrap the entire thing with the same kit! I finally decided on two page spreads and I've been happy with that minimum of "matchy, matchy" that happens when I do it that way. :)
    I think it's different for everyone, and you'll likely play around with both ways until you decide which you like better.

GlazeFamily3 likes this.
  20. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I used to try to do facing pages that matched even if they weren't the same event and I stressed out about it too much to make it fun... so now I just scrap whatever I want, with whatever I want. Even if I do 10 Christmas pages in a row, I use different stuff on each sometimes and I just don't care. Once I lay them all out in my Shutterfly books I have maybe three times in 10 years moved a few pages around if they clashed REALLY badly. :giggle Otherwise I just go with it. :)

GlazeFamily3 likes this.