*** CLOSED***Technique Slow Scrap Oct 24 @ 6:00 PM PST

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by bcgal00, Oct 24, 2017.

1. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Technique Slow Scrap - Using Multiple Brushes to Create A Mask

Join me today at 6:00 PM PST in the chat room, where I will be sharing instructions on how to use multiple brushes to create a clipping mask for a photo. You will then create a clipping mask to use in your layout for the slow scrap.

Following the hour long chat, you will then have an additional 24 hours (prior to October 25, 7:00 PM PST) to complete your layout, post it into the speed scrap gallery and then copy the linked image into this thread to be eligible for a participation coupon.

The slow scrap instructions will be posted here in this thread and the technique instructions are posted below. Hope you come join me!

INSTRUCTIONS, starting at 6:00 PM PST

#1: (Start)
    Start with a solid, lightly textured or patterned paper. Select one image that you will use with a clipping mask that you create with at least two brushes or more. Instructions for creating the clipping mask with brushes is posted at the bottom of the main post in the speed scrap thread (in the Scrapping Pad forum). The clipped image will be positioned in the middle of your page (don't measure, doesn't need to be exact). Please read the instructions for creating the clipping mask and ask any questions during the chat hour or post in the forum thread afterwards.

#2:
    Select paint, overlays, brushes, etc and add to your page.

#3:
    Create a scatter of elements along the left side of your image.

#4:
    Add string, yarn, thread, ribbon or stitching somewhere on your page.

#5:
    Add a title to your page.

#6:

Add journaling below your image.

#7 (Finish)

Here's my sample page.
    [​IMG]

Using Multiple Brushes To Create A Mask (Using Photoshop CC)

You don't need any specific type of brushes to create a clipping mask. I use a combination of soft edged, hard edged and decorative brushes to make a mask. Whichever brush you use can be resized, rotated or further manipulated to give you lots of options in your design.

Each brush can be created on its own layer or you can select each brush while remaining on the same layer. The advantage of using multiple brush layers is that at any time (before merging your layers) you have the option of going back to that brush layer to alter it. I prefer to build my mask with multiple bushes on one layer, adding and erasing all within that one layer. It's a personal preference. As you build your mask, the shortcut CTRL + ALT + Z will revert back one step so it's a quick easy way to edit as you stamp with your brushes. With multiple brush layers, a group layer (one single layer) can be created by selecting all the brush layers and then pressing CTRL + G. This group layer will have an arrow symbol that when clicked will open up the layers that were stored in the grouping. Each layer is then editable if desired.

When you have finished creating your clipping mask with brushes, if you have multiple brush layers, highlight each brush layer and merge into one layer or create a group layer (as explained above). Your photo (also works well with paper to create a paper mat) will be clipped to the mask, it goes onto a layer above the clipping mask you created. Then you clip the top layer to the underlying layer. There are a variety of ways to do this but my preferred method is to hover with the cursor between the two layers (in the layers panel) and select ALT while clicking in that hovered position between the two layers. You will see a downward arrow that indicates that the layer has been clipped to the layer below. If you repeat that step (ALT + clicking between the two layers) you then unclip.

Once you have clipped your image to the mask, you may resize/move the image and/or clipping mask, as desired. You can open the group layer (or single brush layer) and add more brushes to your mask and/or resize/move your image. Be sure to have the layer selected.

I found this video on youtube that you might find useful. Check it out.

Variations to try:
    1. Change blend modes.
    2. Reduce opacity of the brush layers.
    3. Change the attributes of a brush i.e. jitter, scatter, spacing.
    4. Use text brushes.
    5. Stamp overtop of your image/mask.

Have fun creating your own mask; the possibilities are endless!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  2. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

Thank you for the chat and teaching a new technique! Here is my page:
    [​IMG]

3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I should do this more often. So often I've been dissatisfied with the masks I have in my stash. Or at least, I now know better how I can edit those ready-made masks!

[​IMG]

BevG likes this.
  4. KairynLisa

KairynLisa Wouldn't make it as a fighter pilot

Here's mine! Thanks for a great challenge... always love learning new things!

[​IMG]

5. jang

jang Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

I combined some of my brushes with some of dawn's Besotted brushes. Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

6. bbymks5

bbymks5 Where oh where can it be?!?

I used a brush from Sabrina's Creations Nostalgic kit to add a bit of texture to the paper and the circle word art is my "title"

[​IMG]

BevG, cinderella and flowersgal like this.
  7. flowersgal

flowersgal I have big ears and wide arms

Thanks for all the tips. I enjoyed playing with making a mask and learned some new things about brushes during the chat. This stretched me a bit but I had fun with it.
    [​IMG]

8. gwtwred

gwtwred Leaving, on a jet plane ...

Thanks for the fun chat and challenge!

[​IMG]

9. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

I couldn't be at the chat, but I am going to do this one anyways. I LOVES masks!!
    Back later.....

bcgal00 likes this.
  10. honeyandcheese

honeyandcheese Digging the island vibe

I don't use masks often, so this was fun! It's a great way to hide undesirable sections of a photo without cropping oddly.
    [​IMG]

cfile and BevG like this.
  11. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I'm sorry I missed the chat. DH visits with his mother every Tuesday, and he comes back home at 8 p.m. (central time) and we have dinner together. So it was either dinner with hubby or chat. I opted for dinner. With any luck, I'll be back with a layout. Using brushes as masks is something I use quite often, love the technique!

cfile likes this.
  12. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Thank you for the tutorial. I'll try it again for sure.
    [​IMG]

13. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Title is Grandma.. my journaling is simple.. October 25 (today was her birthday)
    [​IMG]

mcurtt likes this.
  14. Electra

Electra Shutterbug

honeyandcheese likes this.
  15. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I think I'm in time. :-)

[​IMG]

16. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Thank you all for playing along. A participation coupon will be sent to you soon.

17. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Great tutorial Rae. Sorry I missed it but I'll definitely play with this idea. That is a terrific video.

18. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Thanks for the chat and technique Rae. Sorry I missed getting a page done. Great idea to keep in mind.