Childhood

Discussion in 'Journaling and Storytelling' started by bestcee, Mar 3, 2017.

1. lizziej

lizziej Active Member

I've scrapped some photos of me as a child, and I've done several photoless LOs from when I was a young teenager. My parents used to take photos often, and my siblings and me would love to just go through the photos. But somewhere along the line, I think my mom gave away photos. One time she was throwing away negatives, but I took them, and my DH scanned them and I was able to print photos.

bestcee likes this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Always :)

bestcee and mcurtt like this.
  3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Do it Jenn before it is too late. I found a notebook that Mom kept with all imunizations and other things re my brother and I.. I may be scanning some of that soon.. unfortunately for me I have no children to hand it all down to, and my brother's son is the only one who will be getting everything of family stuff .. not sure how interested he is going to be with all the stuff so I am sure he is not going to be interested in my childhood stuff.. his father maybe :) I am doing it though right now just for me and cherishing every moment now that both my parents are gone.. Mom 27 years ago and Dad will be gone 5 this November.. talk to your Mom and get every story you can out of her :) Cherish the moments!!

norton94 and Joan K like this.
  4. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I agree with @cfile . Get the info from everyone while you can. My mother passed away in 2000, my dad in 1987. I've got 2 brothers, but they aren't wanting to remember the past. Luckily I was able to get some minimal info from my mother before she passed away. And like Christa, we never had any kids, so it is almost a joke as to who is going to get my artwork. I sincerely doubt that any of the nieces or nephews are going to want it. But for now, it makes me happy. :-)

cfile likes this.
  5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I have done some layouts where I journaled about my childhood. I actually did a whole all about me album from a class I took from Cathy Zielske (sp?) called Me - The Abridged Version. It was a 26 page album where you brainstormed things about yourself that started with each letter of the alphabet. I did a LOT of stuff from my childhood in that album and absolutely love how it turned out!

Joan K, bestcee and mcurtt like this.
  6. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

I LOVE this thread!! This is a project I have on the burner and will be concentrating on as soon as I am done with my daughter's basketball album. I have a Pinterest board pinned with lots of things from the 70s/80s that bring me right back to my childhood. In fact I just started a FB group with my best friends from HS last week so we can share stories we remember...I'm hoping they'll get the bug to work on their stories as well.

mcurtt likes this.
  7. Mylinn

Mylinn What's that old bat up to now??

Love this thread. Reminds me to stop putting off scrapping my own past. While I have no family (by choice), my BFF's grandkids have adopted me. I also try to do pages so when I'm much much old n gray, some memory prompts will exist. Also, as a lover of antique things, with historian friends, the pages/books we are doing will let far flung future connect with us. L says future historians will love examining our layouts and talking about how we viewed our personal history (and via vintage items on pages, how we looked back beyond our past and felt, thought, etc.) If you love using photos but don't have any of your own, consider browsing flickr creative commons items for something period. Your journaling could talk about how your dress was X not the Y seen in photo. . .

bestcee and mcurtt like this.
  8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Look at Vivian Maier! She was childless, and relativeless when she passed, and yet her massive body of work has been put up in galleries, and is quite popular.

mcurtt and Mylinn like this.
  9. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I scrapped a lot of my childhood photos when I was just starting digitally scrapping (so like 2004) but they're terrible-looking and a weird size.

I think I might go back & pocket scrap just the highlights & include some photoless pages with other memories without specific photos.

bestcee likes this.
  10. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

That's what I think I'm going to do...just because it seems with pocket pages you can add so much more to the page. Might throw some traditional pages in too...

Ugh...this is my problem. I way overthink the process and don't just DO IT!!

mcurtt, Joan K and bestcee like this.
  11. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I've done a few like this one about how my sister and I loved to watch Scooby Doo when we were kids:

[​IMG]

mcurtt, Karen and bestcee like this.
  12. mcurtt

@dawnmarch When I was growing up, I remember rushing home from school to watch Garfield Goose. I'm not sure if it was shown in many markets other than Chicago. I even have a postcard from the show, can't remember if it was a fan club that I (aka Mom) signed me up for or what. I think I still have the postcard. I'll have to find it and do a page on it. :-) DH always tells me about Howdy Doody, his fav. I hardly ever remember watching that show. On Wikipedia, it said that Howdy Doody was shown opposite Garfield Goose. Yep, that explains it all.

Lillyia, bestcee and dawnmarch like this.
  13. bestcee

Love that @dawnmarch!

@mcurtt I never watched either of those. I did watch a lot of Sesame Street, and have a photo somewhere of me with Bert and Ernie I believe? I also watched Captain Kangaroo, and The Elephant Show. I think I mostly remember Canadian TV.

mcurtt likes this.
  14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I LOVED Captain Kangaroo. I even had a pair of green jeans inspired by that show and I wore them as often as my Mom would let me... which was often! :)

mcurtt likes this.
  15. Joan K

Joan K Maybe I'll just grow down

Like several others, I do not have many pix of my childhood, but I do feel that it is worthwhile to scrap the ones I have of either myself or my family. I did the first layout during MOC with a picture that my sister found of our childhood home, but I think I need to add more journaling. I definitely want to start a heritage book while my mother (age 87) is still with us. My father died young and his only remaining sibling has dementia, but I think my mom has quite a few stories from both sides waiting to be scrapped.
    My second layout is from my first year of college in 1974 and the third is from the early 60's. I love all of these, and really hope to do more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LynnG, mcurtt and bestcee like this.
  16. mcurtt

@bestcee I think I had this thread in mind when I put this together for the Little Butterfly Wings challenge. I really wanted it to be more girly, but the artsy came out instead. Three teeny pics of me as a little one, and I did try to journal a bit more beyond the photos.

[​IMG]

Mylinn and bestcee like this.
  17. bestcee

Bart isn't sure how old he is!
    [​IMG]

18. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

19. LynnG

LynnG Designer

I have done a few layouts, and I do want to do more. I am planning an album of our immigration out from England, and also just a general childhood layout. I'd like to do more about just everyday stuff which I think would be more interesting in the future then travel layouts etc. I was lucky that my Dad was a keen photographer

(I have done a "50 years in 50 photos" album using "Life in Pictures" so at least I know there'll be SOMETHING if I keel over tomorrow LOL) :agree

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jenn mccabe likes this.
  20. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

swoon at all the Lynn G pretties in this thread!

[​IMG]