Affinity photo on iPad for scrapping?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by gracielou, May 1, 2018.

1. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

has any one used this? I've just started playing around with it and I am loving it so far. I have not had time for scrapping in a while but I am finally finding little snippets of time while sitting with the family during tv time or riding in the car here and there. I am loving not being tied to my desktop, which is in a corner of my bedroom. So far the only thing I've noticed that's different from my workflow with photoshop is the ability to put my drop shadow on its own layer so that I can warp and manipulate it more. I was able to bring my shadow styles in that I use in photoshop but I do miss being able to tweak them. I'm doing more project life pages so it's not a deal breaker for me at the moment but I do hope to see the feature added in a future update. I think I would totally give up photoshop if that were to happen. Anyway here is a page I'm working on right now. 21A0E490-1441-40AE-A0F8-DF31742AEE3B.png

crazsquaw likes this.
  2. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I have it, and have been starting to use it more; I even bought the Windows version of it because I would like to replace PSE on my Surface tablet and possibly on my desktop. I've completed one layout so far, and there are a couple of others that I've started in Affinity and finished in PSE.

I would use it more, except that since Project Life added the options for no drop shadows and text anywhere, I've been using that more often. I like Affinity better, but I'm still learning how to use it and Project Life goes quicker with a significantly smaller learning curve. For some reason (probably that I only work with it for about an hour, once or twice a week) it seems to be taking me a very long time to figure out a solid workflow in Affinity.

Here's the one that was all in Affinity Photo:

[​IMG]

I haven't figured out photo cropping yet, so the photos are from a template in the Rhonna Collage app. That's really the only thing keeping me from using Affinity all of the time.

There is a Facebook group: Project Life to Affinity with some video tutorials and *a lot* of people with answers! (There is also a group for all apps, Project Life and Beyond, and one for Project Life only, Simply Project Life. I'm sure there are more, but these are the three I belong to, and I think there are many of the same people in all of them. I started with the Affinity group.)

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    crazsquaw and gracielou like this.
  3. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I've got all the Serif software that came before they made Affinity. I'm considering upgrading to Affinity for my birthday in the summer. It's supposed to incorporate the functionality of all the old packages from desktop publishing, drawing, scrapbooking, photo editing etc.

gracielou likes this.
  4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I haven't used it Amanda, but I just had to pop in and say it's good to see you around here! :)

gracielou likes this.
  5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

:eek: How can you scrap on such a small screen?!
    Granted, I haven't used any tablets so I'm not experienced with them. But I did, briefly, try scrapping on a 15" laptop and I hated it. Ended up hooking it up to a full sized monitor for scrapping.

I could see making very simple layouts with it. Is it easy to add journaling and see it well while you're typing? I currently journal with the DayOne app, but I'm not totally happy with the extremely limited way photos are included.

gracielou likes this.
  6. gracielou

Thanks, Karen! I miss you guys so much!

Karen likes this.
  7. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

@michelepixels

I use a 10.5" iPad Pro, which I think is a great size for scrapping. I also have a 13" Surface Pro (Windows) tablet that I bought for scrapbooing and that screen was too small for PSE. (Not impossible to work on, but it definitely works better on a larger screen.)

Pinch-and-zoom makes it very easy to enlarge a section to see how it looks and it is quicker to do than to manipulate a scroll wheel or to use a mouse or keyboard command to zoom. I also have a portable bluetooth keyboard that I use for extensive journaling. (I could use it all of the time, but I often don't bother to take it out of my bag unless I'm doing a lot of typing; it's a little trickier to balance a keyboard with the tablet on my lap than to just manage the tablet by itself.)

I have seen some very complicated layouts made in Affinity; I scrap in a simpler style myself, although I know it is possible to do some very complex things with it.

michelepixels and gracielou like this.
  8. gracielou

I certainly understand about the small screen. I used to feel the same way. I have a 27" iMac and I do love that big screen. I started homeschooling my youngest 2 last year and since then I have found it nearly impossible to sit at my iMac and scrapbook and be able to get everything done that I need to get done during the day as teacher, mom, wife etc. so my scrapbooking got put to the side. I also saw how much I needed that one thing to be able to enjoy for myself so I started trying to find ways to fit it in and I started by playing around with the PL app on my phone. I liked the app but I hated the way it limited me from using all the fun little elements of digital scrap kits. I am pretty much a project life scrapper but I want to use more than just journal cards so when I ran across an introduction to the Affinity app. I had to give it a try. When I used to scrap on my iMac I would find it miserable to switch back to the small screen of my phone but since I haven't scrapped on my iMac in months I guess I have adjusted to a smaller screen. That's the only way I know to describe it. It really doesn't bother me and the most important thing is that I'm getting to enjoy the hobby that is so dear to my heart and brings me so much happiness. It's super easy finding little snippets of time here and there while riding in the car or waiting on my older kids soccer and softball games to start etc..... Also, for me, my largest snippet of time for scrapbooking is at night when kids are settled in bed and my responsibilities for the day are done. That's when I curl up in bed with my iPad and sneak in a little work on a page and since there's no way to drag my 27" iMac in the bed with me (though there was a time I probably would have tried cause I loved that computer so much) my iPad became my new best friend.

As to the journaling, it's easy for me because you can zoom in and out of your project with the touch of your fingers. I think that's why I like scrapping on my iPad. I like all the touch features. I also have the Apple Pencil which makes some things much easier. It's certainly not for everyone and there are still some features I miss about photoshop that I really hope get integrated in the near future but I do love that I paid $20 for a powerful editing app and I'm done. I don't have to pay to use it every month like PS. I have been waiting for the day that someone would give PS a run for their money and I think it's finally arriving. I've always thought PS was waaaayyyyyy overpriced and then when they went to the subscription model that really did me in.

michelepixels likes this.
  9. gracielou

I think I will upgrade in the future to the large iPad Pro. I kinda wish I would have just got it when I bought my iPad last month but I didn't even know about Affinity then. I also have a surface pro that I actually bought for the purpose of having a tablet style portable device to be able to scrap on but I have honestly found the screen quality of my iPad so much better than the surface pro. I never have really found my love for it. I think that has been a huge love for me about the iPad scrapping. Just the ability and ease of touch controls and using my hands in the whole scrapping. Things really are faster for me that way.

10. michelepixels

We're homeschoolers too! From the start. My kids are 11, 14, and 17 now, though. I remember when they were young and I stayed up past their bedtime so I could fit in scrapping and Me Time in general. That was mostly before I got a laptop and well before I got my iMac in 2011.

The way you two are describing the ease of navigating by touching the iPad screen sounds like how I use the Magic Trackpad with my iMac. I love it. I think I can imagine scrapping on a sizable tablet someday, if I ever get one.

gracielou likes this.
  11. zanthia

zanthia CT - Kate Hadfield

totally agree - my pc died and now stuck on a 15 inch laptop - its awful screen is so tiny to scrap

how do you hook up ot monitor - doesnt laptop screen get in way.

12. michelepixels

A special cable connected the laptop to the monitor and there was a setting to adjust in the computer, telling it there are now two displays. Sorry I don't know more specifics; I bet you can ask in a computer store and they'll point you in the right direction. Here's how it looked when I did this in 2010.
    [​IMG]

13. MiekSter

MiekSter We only regret the chances we didn't take

Never heard of it before! I love it!
    Thanks for sharing!

14. MiekSter

MiekSter We only regret the chances we didn't take

15. michelepixels

16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

17. michelepixels

18. Firstoscartgrouch

Firstoscartgrouch Save the salmon, and the lemon butter!

I've used it since last summer I think. I scrap on my iPad 2. I've never used photoshop so being on my iPad is all I know. If you take a look in my gallery allmost all of MOC6 was done with Affinity Photo.

There is a FB group called App Scrappers - Project Life to Affinity with a bunch of us that use it.

gracielou likes this.
  19. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

20. navaja77

navaja77 Well-Known Member