Tagging and Organizing Digital Kits

Discussion in 'Help Pad' started by summerl, Jul 22, 2016.

1. PLM

PLM I know there's something in the wake of your smile

You can save your Picasa catalogue to your new computer, but the photos would actually have to be on the same place as the old computer.
    But perhaps you mean you don't like the idea of having to set the Picasa up on the new pc?
    > And you are right, there will be better and newer programs I'm sure, but as you say, it takes effort and I don't have the time for this too, lol ;-) I wish I could actually take a memorystick and put the manual directly into my brain :lol..

summerl likes this.
  2. PLM

> So you don't use Lightroom for tagging?

3. summerl

summerl New Member

Actually all of my stuff is on my external hard drives which I can plug into new comp. Picasa however is on the actual HD of old comp. when I was trying to goggle how to transfer I couldn't find anything that didn't make me have to copy or back everything up. Do you happen to know how I can get Picasa into my new comp? If assume I have to plug one into the other in some way?

4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I use tags for my photos, but my digital stash is cataloged in ACDSee. I tried to import all of my digital stash at one time into Lightroom CC, so I could see about just working in one program, but that was a mistake . . . it was going to take FOREVER to import all my supplies, and I just stopped the import because I had other things I needed my computer to be doing. LOL

It's a great program for tagging and keywords, so I want to try it again, but next time I'm going to add them in bits and pieces rather than try to import the entire stash in one go! Ha!

PLM likes this.
  5. PLM

I understand, it's also one of my ultimate dreams: one program centralizing everything! :agree

gonewiththewind likes this.
  6. PLM

You would have to install Picasa again, but you can copy the catalogue and paste it in.
    Just make sure your hard drive is connected to a portal with the same name and it should work.

Normally your databases should be on your C:/Users/Username/Appdata/Local/Google

There are 2 files: Picasa2 en Picasa2Albums - you have to copy both of these.
    If you can't find them, perhaps your files are "hidden" by Windows. You have to set it to visualize those folders in the maps folder. You can pm me if you need help ;-)

summerl likes this.
  7. summerl

summerl New Member

Thank you! I'll check it out :)

PLM likes this.
  8. summerl

summerl New Member

I do have one more question (hopefully) Do any of you know the difference between tagging or cataloging (if that's even a word) in ACDsee?

9. gonewiththewind

Well, ACDSee is a catalog program . . . just as Lightroom is. They don't make duplicates of what's on your hard drive. They simply see where you tell them to look on your hard drive. You can add keywords or tags and move or delete things from the programs. I do tend to use cataloging, keywording, and tagging interchangeably, and likely not correctly. LOL

scrappyjedi and summerl like this.
  10. summerl

summerl New Member

Well I am just about to give up on it all... I downloaded the free trial of ACDsee just to check it out. I haven't even gotten through a whole kit and lost everything I have tagged :( I accidentally put an item in the wrong folder while trying to find out how to remove that tag from that item I hit something and now can't find ANY of the items I have tagged and they are not in the folders via ACDsee. All the items are still in their files on my EH but not anywhere in ACDsee.. Maybe this is too complicated for me :(

11. gonewiththewind

Don't give up. If you'd like, I can do a quick video tour of ACDSee and how I use it if you think it will help you!

summerl and bestcee like this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I hate learning curves! I bet Cheryl can help you with her video. She's great at explanations!

I don't use acdsee, but I do love having some organization. It takes time, but is awesome once it's set up.

gonewiththewind and summerl like this.
  13. summerl

summerl New Member

That would be amazing! I honestly can figure things out with a little bit of patience and some googling on most things but this has just got me so stumped :(

gonewiththewind likes this.
  14. gonewiththewind

OK ~ give me a bit. I might be a few days before I can get it filmed and uploaded and such! :)

summerl likes this.
  15. summerl

summerl New Member

Hopefully you can see what I am referring to. I put keyword on about 1/2 if a kit and now they are not showing at all. Saying no items match the filter of that key word. But then when I do a search they show up? I was thinking it was only with the items I have tagged but I when I tagged something else after this happened the same thing. No previews in the keyword panel.

ACDsee screen shot.JPG

16. Li Li Wee

Li Li Wee I create my imagination

I wish I was more organized like you ladies..

17. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I have no answers for you summerl but most programs like LR, ADCsee etc seem to be very proprietary about moving links or changing them. When you do it another way (often the idea that makes sense to you!) the software is not happy and doesn't play with you.

It is really important to remember that these data base programs are creating links back to your files not making a copy to put into the specific program. If you do anything to break that link that is when the non human machinery says in effect "it's not there!" because the program no longer has a link. Depending on the program you may be a able to fix the link but it can be a royal pita.

I know because recently I foolishly had a fit and moved/renamed things on my EHD and when I was halfway through my renaming...I suddenly thought What in the h am I doing! Lightroom forced me to rename a lot of files....

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  18. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

If you do, Lightroom is pretty forgiving if it was folders you moved. Just tell it where to find it. Now, if like me once upon a time, and you move individual files....
    My heart hurts for you!

scrappyjedi likes this.
  19. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

i just wanted to chime in and say that I'm a former Picasa user who transitioned to Lightroom and LOVES it. I do keep separate catalogs for me photos and supplies, and I never tag anything (I like to joke that I'm allergic to tagging).

I talk a bit about my organization and scrapping process in this thread How do you organize your stash? if that helps!

KellyM and bestcee like this.
  20. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

@bestcee Fortunately, I stopped myself in time and didn't have to do much of the Click, Find, Click etc business. Long ago in a 'new to Lightroom stage' I moved things and didn't remember where I moved things to! That was not a fun time and yet, I still can be in a hurry and do something in Finder and then mentally smack my hand!

bestcee likes this.