In need of a Travel Agent - Oregon, please

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by klee73010, Feb 6, 2016.

1. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I know there are a couple of you ladies in Oregon. Hubby and I are working on a plan to visit the Portland area for scouting neighborhoods we'd someday like to live in. .... Neither of us has ever been there. If we were to spend 3 days in the area, where would you go? Restaurants you love, sites that truly exemplify the Pacific Northwest... Things like that. Neighborhoods you know about. Good bad ugly. Whatever.

I am just really struggling with how to even begin researching this, because I've been in AZ my whole life (minus married to the military life for a few years, where I stayed in one place for that time). What questions to ask the Google to help me figure things out...

We are thinking first week of May. Good a time as any to experiment, I suppose.

MelanieB likes this.
  2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

been to Oregon a few times (my brother lived there for years, and my bestie is in Portland) I just want to give you a heads up from a desert dweller too.
    the green there can overwhelm you. YOU can not see street signs 10 blocks away, cause they have these tall green things called trees that block the view..be careful of them.

3. carilyne

carilyne It's only impossible if you think it is

LOL Anne! I don't know much about Portland but places to start are Trip Advisor, I'm sure there are what to see in Portland sites, Rose City, etc. But I used Trip Advisor a lot in my plans for traveling east.

klee73010 likes this.
  4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I haven't lived in Oregon since I was little. So, I'm not much help.

But I wanted to say: have a blast! Are you considering the move sooner or later?

5. MelanieB

MelanieB Well-Known Member

klee73010 likes this.
  6. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

We love going to the Oregon coast but I haven't spent time in Portland. Trip Advisor would be a great place to start. Maybe, also the local Portland tourist info site or the Chamber of Commerce site.

klee73010 likes this.
  7. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I'm in Spokane, WA but I grew up around Centralia, WA (the central point on I-5 between portland & seattle.) SO- I LOVE Portland! We would always head that way for shopping (for sales tax reasons ;) ) and definitely prefer the portland airport over seatac. I love the Lloyd Center mall- it has an ice rink in the center! That whole downtown area is fun to explore. They have a pretty decent zoo too! I have a friend who used to work the Saturday market (kinda off burnside) and that is an experience! Like Farmer's market on crack! ;) Hmm... If I think of anything else, I'll get back to ya!

klee73010 likes this.
  8. klee73010

It's in our 5 year plan. The goal is about the time my kids start "real school" or not long after. We didn't want to go when we had baby babies and still needed so much family support to help us.

bestcee likes this.
  9. klee73010

I've never seen that.
    But thank you for the pinterest board. I will check that out. :)

10. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

[​IMG]

11. MelanieB

It's an 80s classic!

:yourock :heartslub :heartslub :heartslub

lorryfach and amien1 like this.
  12. klee73010

I haven't seen a lot of "80s classics" because I was born in the 80s. Lol. I watched a lot of the "90s classics" though. Lol

Tree City likes this.
  13. MelanieB

This is no excuse! 80s classics are timeless!

And there is no such thing as "90s classics"! :giggle

14. bestcee

This!!! LOL. Although, there are some that I love to watch from the 90's.

enjoyyourpix and klee73010 like this.
  15. klee73010

@MelanieB @bestcee no classics from the 90s?!
    In no particular order... Clueless, Titanic, Home Alone, Toy Story, The Lion King, the Shawshank Redemption, Forrest Gump, Seven, Edward Scissorhands, 6th Sense, Fight Club....

16. bestcee

You misunderstood @klee73010 :bkMy statement simply meant that there are no excuses for not seeing the 80's classics, even with the 90's classics :giggle:giggle

enjoyyourpix likes this.
  17. MelanieB

This. This was all in good fun, poking fun at 80s movies and how nothing compares to them! Bowing out of this thread now.

bestcee likes this.
  18. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

What??!?!?!?!?! That's like blasphemy. :giggle

Preach it!

In Portland you should go to Powell's Books, check out some of the McMenamins properties (fun and quirky hotels with unique venues, bars and entertainment), Voodoo donuts (I've never personally been there but my daughter raved about it). They have Wordstock (literary festival) in the fall. Art & Soul (huge artsy retreat with amazing classes). Fun indie shops all over. They have a food truck area downtown. And one of my favorite spots to visit in Portland is a little restaurant called Kenny & Zuke's, which is like a NY deli with amazing bagels. And I'm sure there's tons more, but I haven't been there in awhile. And of course, then you'd just be about three hours away from me. :giggle And that has to be some kind of tourist attraction. Bwhahahaha.

The Oregon coast is amazing. Seriously. All of it.

19. klee73010

MelanieB and bestcee like this.
  20. klee73010

Thank you @scrapsandsass Kimberlee! I couldn't remember where you were in relation to Portland!
    I would totally be down to meet you for a bagel... since you don't do coffee. Lol!

scrapsandsass likes this.