With templates... do you?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Kat, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

When you download a template that comes with PSD files PLUS pngs/tiff/page files, etc... Do you need to keep all that? I have only ever used PSD files and sometimes I think maybe the PNGs would come in handy but will they? I keep it all and I have a space issue where I want to lighten my load both digitally and in my house. I have so many files that have all this extra.

Do I need it? When would a TIFF file be beneficial?

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Kat I had the same issue in around October.. I started to get rid of everything but the tiff file (smaller then PSD) unless there was no tiff then I would save the psd. I freed up a lot of space on my hard drive that way. You do not need page files if you use PS CC/PSE ...Designers include page files for those that use other programs and the same with the png file.

Tiff has all the layer info just like the psd and is a smaller file then the psd.

bellbird likes this.
  3. Kat

I've never used a TIFF file, I use the layers a lot in the PSD, does it work the same way?

bellbird, LoveItScrapIt and cfile like this.
  4. cfile

Yes exactly the same :) It has styles on it etc. just like a psd.

bellbird likes this.
  5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I only keep the PSD files. I've never felt the need to have the others.

Kat likes this.
  6. Kat

okay I never knew this, lol. I'm trying one now. I don't unzip any of the other stuff if I don't have to. But I'll delete the rest until I decide. Anything to keep my footprint lower. I have SO many externals now. I'm even deleting some old photos and misc stuff that I've saved for years.

bellbird and cfile like this.
  7. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I use the png files, but keep the psd files too just in-case I can use them one day. The rest I delete or don't download.

Basically the png files are included for those of us who can't use layered files, when the designer is kind enough to create them for us.

bellbird likes this.
  8. cfile

Try it and see what you think.. as a photographer, many use tiff for their photos as they can use the CMYK colors with the tiff file too.

bellbird, LoveItScrapIt and Kat like this.
  9. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

the TIFF file shows up as a preview when I am going thru files, so I toss everything else! If it doesn't have TIFF, I sometimes save them as TIFFs for me.

10. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

For many years I’ve been deleting PNG and PAGE files. I keep PSD and TIFF files both. But if I understand what I’m reading above, I could be just keeping the TIFF files. I was only keeping them in case I switch back to PC someday because they show a preview but PSD doesn’t (at least not prior to 2011 when I switched to iMac). Do TIFF really work exactly like PSD?

cfile likes this.
  11. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I only keep the PSD files. Sometimes, you have the option to only download what you need. I'm going back through (when I have time) and deleting everything but the PSD files. I've never used anything but PSD, so I guess I don't need any of the others.

12. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

This. The tiff's are smaller files & I get to see a preview & they are still layered exactly the same as a .PSD. So anytime I have a .psd file without a tiff I resave it as a .TIFF and delete the .PSD & everything else.

cfile likes this.
  13. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Unless you use Storybook Creator or Artisan software, you never need to keep the page files. Those are specific to those programs.

Because I convert other file templates to page files if one is not provided, I will usually save the png folder and the psd until I've done the conversion to a page file, then delete them.

14. cfile

Yes.. I would suggest trying one next time first and see how you like it. They are much smaller and save room on your hard drive.

Ferdy and michelepixels like this.
  15. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I'm with the TIFF ladies. I like having the preview of the template and it's smaller than PSD. I keep nothing else. If there is not TIFF, then I actually convert the PSD to a TIFF

16. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

If you convert a .psd to a .tiff does it become smaller? I may go for them in the future just to save memory space.

Not here, but in other stores I often do save the .pngs because it's easier to use the actual individual product than to search for it on a multi multi layered template. Those .templates are more like the Scrappable Stackable ones here.

bellbird likes this.
  17. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

@bestcee or @gonewiththewind I remember them talking about this during one of Scrap with Cheryl. Something about PS and psds being better for something, and TIFFs being not used. I can't remember the conversation. I went yeah yeah, yeah, and kept scrapping..bhahah

18. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@Kat @AnneofAlamo

I save PSDs and toss the rest (well, except for my design files, and then I have all file types). PSDs are the native file format for Photoshop/Photoshop Elements, so I just choose to use that file type. I am now using Lightroom to organize my digi supplies, and I can preview PSDs within that program. If you aren't able to preview the PSDs with Lightroom or another program or an Apple computer, then keeping the TIFF version could be very helpful.

With proper compression (LZW compression), TIFF files can at times be significantly smaller in size than PSDs. Generally speaking, a TIFF version of one of my templates can easily be 50% smaller than the PSD version. LZW compression is a "lossless" type of compression, so you don't lose quality like you do when compressing a JPG for web. Having said that, without proper compression, a TIFF file can be significantly larger than a PSD. A PSD is automatically saved with that compression. The TIFF file gives you the option of choosing lossless or not.

Both TIFF and PSD files are layered (you can save TIFFs as flattened images though, so watch for that when you are saving and preserve your layers for future editing).

PNGs are helpful to peeps with different software as they may not be able to use a layered file like PSDs or TIFFs, but they can bring in individual PNGs. So if you're using Photoshop, I wouldn't worry about saving PNGs as you can easily pull out layers from a PSD file onto another.

PAGE files are made specifically for a type of scrapbooking software (Storybook Creator and Artisan) and you don't need to download those.

Hope this helps!

19. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

TIFF files are high quality and best for print. I use either the PSD or TIFF. I keep Both of them in case I save over without renaming g one. At least I will have another copy in that case

Not that I have ever done that...

:faint2

cfile and bestcee like this.
  20. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I just keep PSD.....too many years of habits to change now I think.

Kat and bestcee like this.