Where do you store your scrapbook kits?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by GodBlessAmerica, Mar 16, 2019.

1. GodBlessAmerica

GodBlessAmerica Active Member

I am now scrapping on a MacBook Pro until we move and purchase a new iMac. I have extra iCloud storage and am wondering if any of you store your kits in the cloud. If so do you set up a separate folder that is not in your documents? Not really understanding how the cloud works to backup folders not in the Documents folder. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Jan

2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Welcome back Jan :) I use an external hard drive. I have a folder reflected as The Lily Pad and then a folder for each designer and then I file the kits under each designer name. If I am looking for a "flower" I just search for that under the lily pad or under the designer I am interested in using product from. I am on a PC.

Not sure how others store their kits/files.

Good luck :)

3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I’m using an iMac. I store my digistash on an EHD. Everything I get from the TLP store goes into one folder called The Lilypad. I change the default blue folder icon to the kit preview for every product. That way, I can scroll through the folder and see at a glance what I have. I also make extensive use of the search function.

I wouldn’t store my kits in the cloud. I think the cloud is for backing up. Keeping kits local means faster access. My kits are backed up to the cloud just in case though, using Backblaze.

cfile likes this.
  4. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I used to use an EHD, but my current laptop has a large built in drive, so I use that, and back up onto two EHDs.

cfile likes this.
  5. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I think the Cloud is a great "place" for a backup but it probably would be a difficult place to scrap from. (But that's my opinion: maybe it would work well for you. I'm impatient and I don't think I'd like having to download stuff as I scrap.

Because having one copy of a file is never safe, perhaps an EHD would work as a place to store your supplies and the Cloud could be a great backup, if you're allowed to back up the EHD to the Cloud.

cfile likes this.
  6. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I have iCloud and even pay for extra space, but I don't find it terribly user-friendly except for storage. It's not very fast and I get impatient every time I use it, but I'm a very impatient person.

I have lots of space on my computer + I also use an EHD. I keep files that I don't use as much on my EHD, also out-of-season files, if I know I won't be using them the rest of the year, like very specific holiday stuff.

GodBlessAmerica likes this.
  7. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Using a cloud requires internet access or cellular access. There are remote areas without those, so something to consider. I certainly would think it would be slower than your hard drive or an EHD.

Also, I don't know about Photoshop but I do know that users of another software got corrupted layouts when using the cloud as workspace for their layouts. The auto-synch feature and the software did not always play nicely. If you are storing just content on the cloud, that may not be an issue as you are not modifying the content like you do with a layout.

8. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I have kits for my CTs that need to be used + a favorites folder of all my go-to stitching, alphas, etc. on my computer HD. Everything else is kept on and backed up to EHD. I back up all of my photos on Google Photos, and my current (since I got this phone last fall) photos are backed up to the cloud.

9. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I also store all of my pictures and digital kits on an external hard drive. I have two computers in the house, so it's nice to be able to unplug my EHD and take it to whichever computer I'm working on.

Some Routers for your wi-fi actually have a spot to plug in an EHD too... you could plug one into that and then access it from anywhere in your house. I actually have that type or router and keep forgetting to try it. :giggle

10. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Everything that Michele said. I too am on an iMac and all my digi supplies are on an EHD with an alias link (the main TLP folder i.e.) to my desktop. Ditto making the blue folder the preview image (and I ditch the 'Folder' image at the same time keeping only the preview jpg).

One thing I do that not that many do is have a full TLP catalog in Lightroom. I use that a lot to find things, get ideas and yes, I am a serious keyword-er.

11. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I scrap on an iPad Pro and use iCloud for all my storage. I have the lowest tier subscription and have all my scrap stuff stored there and still have lots of room left. It works great for me but that’s probably because I am on an iPad. I’ve never used iCloud with my desk top. I use affinity photo app for scrapping so I can have my scrapping app open and also my iCloud files open at the same time so I just drag from cloud to my page I’m working on. I also have everything downloaded so I am not tethered to internet or anything like that. I have even worked on pages while sitting waiting for my kids in car rider line.
    This is how my set up looks. I have a folder strictly for scrapbook stuff in my files app:
    [​IMG]

I also use the tags feature to organize all my stuff. You can see some of my very long list of organization on the bottom left of my photo.

ETA: I also have an EHD that I strictly use as a backup to store all my scrap stash on too. I’ve also used jump drives in the past when I was working on a laptop so that I could take my scrap stuff with me while on a road trip.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  12. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

I store all mine on my hard drive and have an online back up. I had started transferring some older supplies to EHDs but after having two fail within a couple of weeks of each other, I decided to stick to my hard drive.

13. GodBlessAmerica

All great ideas. I was lucky that my kits and pictures were backed up with Backblaze, so I was able to get a EHD from them when my iMac died a sudden death. I have ordered more RAM to speed up the process of using it with the MacBook Pro. I also plan to set up a time machine.
    Oh course the Lilypad will get its own folder and I stored most kit before by Designer, just need to really purged the old stuff. I have been digital scrapping since it first became a thing and there were only 3 scrapbooking sites. So way....back. It is amazing how the product quality has improved over the years. When you have worked with perfection, like designers @kjensen only the best will do.

KimJ likes this.
  14. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I back everything that's important to Amazon cloud. I'm surprised at how many people rely solely on EHDs since they are so prone to failure. I truly believe it's just a matter of when they will fail. The more you use them, the higher probability they will fail. I only plug mine in when I absolutely need to. I've had several fail in the past (thankfully with back ups).

15. GodBlessAmerica

Great ideas. Thank you.

Awesome information I did not know about the router thing. When we move and I also get our iMac I could use all your ideas. Thank you.

More great ideas. Thank you.

I will be in contact with you after my move. I also have Lightroom and plan to upgrade from 3 so I can handle png files. I love the alias on my desktop idea, not sure how to do it though. Thank you so much for all the help.

Karen and Cherylndesigns like this.
  16. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

@GodBlessAmerica re making an alias.

Go to your original folder or even file on hopefully your EHD.
    Right click on that folder and select 'Make Alias'
    The alias will be made usually right next to the original.
    It will have the same name but with lower case 'alias' at the end. It will also have a little arrow on the bottom left of the folder.
    Holding down the CMD key on your keyboard, click and drag the alias folder to your desktop. Voila! you now have your stash on you desktop but not taking up memory.

btw, if you major-move or really mess up the original folder, your alias won't know where it is. This concept is good training to remember for when you get into Lightroom. What you 'see' in Lightroom is really only an alias of what's on your original photo/stash folder, no matter where that lives.

fwiw, I keep the original folder of what I buy each month on my desktop. March is call ...ta da...1903 Stash. At the end of each month I put that original folder into my EHD folder and it then is ready to import into Lightroom As Is. It's only when I've tagged etc the individual purchases that I move them into the Designer's folder. Let's say I still have quite a few months to tag and move but I DO add tags for Designer and Preview as soon as the enter Lightroom.

Then the joy of buying starts again!!!

17. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I store my kits and templates in Finder. Two folders in Downloads labeled kits and templates. Inside those folders are more folders. A folder for each store that I buy from has more folders of their kits inside. The same with the templates folder. Each folder is in ABC order.

Everything I own lives on my laptop. I do have copies of my favorite kits on an EHD, but I don't scrap from that unless I've deleted a kit from Finder. (I've been known to do that!)