when to start charging

Discussion in 'Photography Pad' started by ShannaNoel, Dec 23, 2009.

1. ShannaNoel

ShannaNoel ShannaNoel

I have been playing with the idea of charging for the past year or so. I would never want to do it full time, I see how hard you all work and I don't want to leave my classroom. BUT I have a CONSTANT flow of people asking to take their pics. Usually I shoot for about an hour and burn them a CD of 50+ edited pics.
    I was thinking about charging just a flat fee of $100 to do so. Not for an income just to help updated my equipment etc. What are your thoughts?

Just for fun I designed this little logo...

[​IMG]

2. Lisa Carroll

Lisa Carroll Lisa Carroll

I LOVE your logo. It is so cute and creative. I think your rate is very reasonable.

3. renee82

renee82 renee82

Ooohhh... that is super adorable, Shanna! LOVE IT!!! I think that's definetly a reasonable rate... well I know I would pay it! You're photog skills are amazing! :)

4. jdesai

jdesai Wonders what's in a name?

Love the logo, Shanna. I think your rate is reasonable. I was wondering the same. Whenever my dd is invited to a bday party, i end up taking lots of pictures and just give the picture CD to the host. I've been asked few times what my rates are but i have no idea what to charge. I'll have to give it some thought next year. :)

5. mlpieters

mlpieters the princess of PINK

very cute logo. very.

i have no idea what rates are these days. sorry.

6. ShannaNoel

ShannaNoel ShannaNoel

thanks ladies you are all so supportive.
    My friends who are photographers in the area are charging $125-$150 sitting fee and then you order prints through them. I know I am not AS good as them and therefore would just be charging that flat rate. Its such a huge step for me, though everyone around me is encouraging me to do so.

7. meems

meems New Member

love the logo!

$100 sounds very reasonable to me too, although I actually have no clue about this stuff. Unless you're spending hours & hours editing the pics -- in which case, maybe you're shortchanging yourself?

Good luck!

8. 1girl1boy

1girl1boy Miss Glee!

Oh Shanna, your logo is adorable! I think that $100 is very reasonable.

9. jstbkuz

jstbkuz needs a spanking

oh man i LOVE LOVE LOVE your LOGO!

as far as charging here is my advice...
    Be Confident that you ARE GOOD and charge what you feel you DESERVE.

Seriously I have seen some of your stuff and it is AWESOME!

For a CD I charge $150 with a $100 photo order and I have a $50 sitting fee and have only been taking clients (more than just family) for 1 year.

$100 is very cheap but if you just want to build a portfolio for a few months it sounds fine. I make my money on prints though, and everyone wants the CD so they always purchase it.

10. eryn

eryn gross no longer

no idea for costs but love your logo and good luck with it!!

11. Jenna

Jenna Jenna

I have been tossing around the idea of doing EXACTLY that in the new year. I do not want to do prints but I know that's where the real money is for photogs. I just like the photo shoot and the editing work and hand over a CD. I love it, I'll spend hours on the editing alone if it's a really good shot. I wish you TONS of luck, I love when people make a hobby work for them!! Happy new year... and ADORABLE logo!!

12. ShannaNoel

ShannaNoel ShannaNoel

thanks sweetness and good luck to you as well!!!!

13. my3hens

my3hens Is only good for one thing....

This :beat
    Lurveee your logo!

14. shades of bliss

shades of bliss bolʹshie koshki

Adorable logo!! Good luck sweetie!

15. Stephie

Stephie Member

I am the worst person to ask this question. I've been shooting professionally for almost 2 years, and still don't charge enough. LOL