When it rains...

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Kat, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Just to sum up the last three weeks...
    • Cancelled Christmas/Anniversary Disney Vacay due to husband's work (third vacay cancelled this year)
    • Less than 5 year old AC unit has major part go out.
    • Lucky to get it covered under warranty but only through the original company who isn't always a company you want working in your house.
    • Company is more like a demo crew. (insert miley cyrus gif of wrecking ball)
    • Company damages wall and attic and water damages the carpet.
    • Sends "pay less" home repair to do the repairs.
    • Beautiful attic door now looks like crappy attic entry in middle of the hallway of the primary bedrooms in the home minus the extra finishing touches and bonus addition of ugly fasteners painted white.
    • Carpet cleaners they hired refuse to do the job correctly (so I said no to them)
    • Called our home insurance to jump through 20 minutes of hoops just to ask if they will have an idea on helping us restore the condition of the home, got to the person, told the story, lost the call. He never called back.
    • Got an HOA violation for the "pay less" home repair who went to lunch for 20 minutes and left the old stairs in the yard.
    • Medical issues going on during all of this, pending some blood work and a doctor visit tomorrow.
    Oh wait, did I leave out the part where the AC company called the cops on me claiming I left the house and locked them out and tried to steal their tools and while I was on the phone with the PRESIDENT and VP of the company, a thunderstorm blew through and hailed on my car which was not in it's comfy garage space due to them needing access to the breaker.

People wonder why I'm slightly cranky and very untrusting.

Why the overshare? I just needed to tell someone how much fell on my shoulders so I don't feel as guilty for being late on my work edits and totally in the least creative mood ever. All of this while my husband is working excessive hours (said when his usual hours are 6 am to 8 pm)... and his response to almost all of it is.... well... I don't know what to do but I've got to go b/c "insert random person's name" is at my desk and I have to be on a call in 5.

I honestly just asked him if we could just skip Christmas this year. The tree isn't even decorated. I'm lucky it's even standing (I never took it apart last year and stored it standing in an extra room) but I have zero desire to put anything on it even. I certainly don't feel up for traveling but I do want to escape the house so I don't have to look at the ugly new attic door.

PS I am open to suggestions on how to handle fixing the cheap work on my nice new construction home that is just shy of 5 years old. Maybe that's why I am typing this. Maybe you guys will have some brilliant ideas.

2. rdjrneace

rdjrneace Following the yellow brick road on foot

I am sorry to hear this Kat, my suggestion is don't let up on the people that did the "bad work". They need to fix the damage the way it was prior to the damage.

LoveItScrapIt and Kat like this.
  3. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

That is crazy!!!! Do you have any photos of the before door?

4. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I've been seeing this story unfold on Facebook. What a nightmare! I hope you can write to the BBB/Angie's List/your local consumer affairs department about all this. This is exactly why I'm afraid to have anyone but us do work on the house. I've heard so many horror stories like this.

And I'm sorry about your Disney vacation. I hope it can be rescheduled soon!

5. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Oh my goodness! That's all awful.

Kat likes this.
  6. Kat

Yes but not that I have found yet before the damage. You can still see the door has an elegant look with extra trim and molding so it looks nice since it's so visible. At some point we took extensive photos when we moved in but I am still looking for them. They have to be here somewhere.

7. Kat

We are trying to decide what to do about Disney. Scott's boss dared to suggest he start planning it all out for next year right now. I laughed and said I'm not planning anything again until you are sure they will allow it. Tell him that from me.

I am trying to consider going further than BBB/Angie's list. We'd like to hire an attorney to just handle it for us honestly. Today I got a call to "set up a time" to discuss further with one of the owners of the company. I couldn't even bring myself to return the call.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  8. Kat

I agree completely. We thought the "pay less" home repair would do a good job. We had every reason to believe at least. But when it was all done and the door looked terrible (the rest was fine but we don't see that, lol)... my husband said the guy was SOOOO PROUD of his work that he couldn't bring it up. I rolled my eyes out loud honestly. I'd already told him I wanted the trim/molding put back and he'd over talked me saying how it wasn't needed. I said but I liked the look. And then left it to my husband.

9. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

No words of wisdom here, just wanted to send a hug for all the hassles and having to cancel your trip.

Kat likes this.
  10. Kat

Much appreciated definitely. :)

11. rdjrneace

Kat, don't let up. We had a metal roof put on a few years back and when I got home I saw areas that I did not think was right (overhangs that was not done or metal cut short). I called the owner and had him meet me so I could explain what I felt was not right. Some areas was my misunderstanding where others were their mistake. He fixed all the items I pointed out.

Talk to the owner/president and express what you expected and why you don't feel it is right.

Kat likes this.
  12. Kat

This is helpful. I was just sitting here contemplating how to put words to it. I told the carpet cleaning company I'd like them to consult on the issue of the water damage b/c it's a large open area and I didn't see how they could clean one small section of it and it look the same/consistent. They told me if I wanted "additional areas" cleaned they would quote me and the AC company would only pay for the small area. I felt they were saying I was trying to get something for free. I can afford to have carpets cleaned or even replaced but I should not have to.

They had the guy email me to "answer my questions" vs coming out to consult and discuss it. Water was allowed to seep into the padding for a couple of hours. The attic door is not put back to the quality it was (sure they upgraded the stairs but I was happy with the wood ones and would rather have had the elegant look of the molding).

So this VP or something I was on the phone with the other day emailed "to answer my questions" and I'm not even sure what to say to him. I'm so sick of having to explain myself. The why of it is because it's not what it was and don't forget your company called the police and lied to them about me. So that's why. lol. But he cc'd a MILE LONG list of people in the email, including the rude supervisor who called the cops in the first place, so frankly I am not sure I trust him to toss me a ball without hitting me in the face with it. I can't decide if I am being unfair or unrealistic and just angry or not.

13. rdjrneace

Kat, my suggestion would be to write down your issues/questions and then calmly review each one writing down specifics. Maybe this will calm you down so you can logically talk about the items.

I would also have pictures to discuss what it was like before and how you want it to look.

Now the rough part is was this discussed with the contractor on what was expected? Is it possible that maybe your husband OK'd something without your knowledge? Be calm and discuss what you expected and why you feel the work was not done to your satisfaction.

I understand that you don't like everyone be copied on the email (and trust me I feel the same way at my work when multiple people are copied) but since this could be a potential claim against their insurance or their reputation they are doing what they feel is necessary for any potential legal situation. Once again be calm and give them an opportunity to listen to your expectations. With having the information in writing it will become formal request so if something is fixed you now have the proof of bad workmanship.

As hard as it is you have to let some of the bad feelings go and deal with facts (can you tell I am an insurance agent). Best of luck and remember to document everything so you can proof of all items that is not being done correctly.

norton94, bestcee and Kat like this.
  14. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

15. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

That's a lot to deal with & sounds like it just kept snowballing - very depressing especially re: Disney - I hope his work settles down soon?!

16. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Ugh! That is so much to deal with all at once. I sure hope that everyone's suggestions above are helpful and you are able to get the companies to fix their mistakes to your satisfaction.

17. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Oh goodness Kat! How horrible! Possibly asking for their insurance information to contact them directly? I'm sorry you are going through this, and that you had to cancel your vacay.

18. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Ugh, Kat, that is so much to be dealing with right now. And on top of that a missed vacation! So sorry you are going through this. Hugs!

19. kimingvtx

kimingvtx I'll try anything once!

OH Kat! Hugs. Like others, I don't have words of wisdom, just hugs.

20. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

UGH!!! That stinks on all fronts! Big hugs, and above all the frustration I hope the medical stuff is all good - as aggravating as the rest is, the medical is obviously the most important in the biggest of pictures.