What's your style

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by DisneyMom, Feb 6, 2019.

1. DisneyMom

DisneyMom official mousketeer

After just finishing up my very first MOC my mind is still spinning at all the layouts that were created. So many of them were unlike anything I had ever done or thought of doing before. I learned so many new techniques and even more importantly more about my own personal scrapping style.
    [​IMG]

I started digi scrapbooking way back in 2007 and my style was WAY different that it was just 2 years later and it changed again over the course of the next few years. Sure we are influenced by the latest trends and newest products, but I'm looking more at what is in your comfort zone. What you find the easiest way to scrap. I love that we are pushed and challenged to learn new things, after all how else would we discover our new favourite style???

Lately I tend to lean towards two styles. The big large photo with a smaller one on the side or a small cluster to embellish my layout. The second one would be the clean cut, white space layout with a few ellies and a few paint splatters for pop. Kinda like the speed scrap this afternoon - I got that layout together in 15 min tops. It pretty much did itself since it was so much within my comfort style.

[​IMG]

What about you - What's your style? Have you found it's changed over the years? What influences your scrapping styles?

Chippi likes this.
  2. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I'm a paper style scrapper, though I cluster more than real paper scrappers can do. I'd say I have 2 styles, too. My first style is my favorite. I scrap 1-3 medium to large photos on a solid or lightly textured background. Those layouts have a moderate amount of clustering and embellishments. I also do pocket style layouts with a handful of simple embellishments. Those pages are more for necessity; I have lots of photos and memories that aren't worthy of their own layout but are still worth having in our albums.

I've been digiscrapping since 2004, so my style has definitely evolved as the hobby has. I've always been a paper style scrapper, and my photos and journaling have always been the focus of my pages. I cluster and embellish a lot more than I used to; some of that is because I've improved, and some of it is because of the trend in digi to use a lot more elements than most of us did years ago. Before pocket pages I was always trying to fit as many pictures on a page as I could; I almost never scrapped a 1-photo page. I love that adding pocket pages to my scrapping has allowed to me to do more 1 photo pages and really showcase the best photos in a way I couldn't before.

DisneyMom, Karen and Chippi like this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I've always said I was very "eclectic". What I'm NOT is minimalist. That is very difficult for me. I usually put a lot of stuff on my page - that's pretty consistent for me. I guess I go more for the messy look. I've really gotten into Art Journaling since coming here, and that's usually not using any photos at all. So, I guess, I really don't know what my style is. :crazy3:lol:lol

AJK, DisneyMom, Karen and 2 others like this.
  4. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

That's the best thing about MOC- you really do get to know 'yourself' & what your normal wheelhouse is!

I'm definitely a 'kitchen sink' scrapper- I just love all the things & want them on my layout! lol! I like lots of photos! I LOVES me some word arts/strips & rarely do a minimalist page- even though when I do, I love them too! ;)

I think that when I first started doing digi (from paper) I was not a big fan of big clusters with lots of florals- which I almost always use now! I also have gotten more comfortable 'winging' it & not relying on templates!

I'm on a number of creative teams, so that is mostly my inspiration- finding a way to use a kit with my photos & make it all work! I also really love pinterest & am a big fan of re-creating digital layouts from paper examples!

DisneyMom, Karen and Chippi like this.
  5. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I love multi-photo layouts, more like traditional paper scrapbooking. However being on creative teams I have learnt to load product on my pages, the more the merrier. I love clustering now and splatters of paints etc.

6. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

This is one of biggest reasons that I love MOC. Just trying something different that you never would have done before!!
    My style is ever changing. I love looking back and seeing the "what were you thinking" styles and the "typical paper scrapper" style, the "trying to cluster" style and the "all the painty bits" style, haha! I don't know if I will ever stop with one style!

Oh @rach3975 you sound just like me. I don't do many single photo pages unless it is a family photo or something like that, even then it will have a coordinating page with the rest of the photos on it. And I love scrapping in pocket (6x4) size!! I call those my "Little Stories".

DisneyMom and Karen like this.
  7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

My style is chaos? :giggle I love to jam all the things on my pages. I mostly love a lot of photos and I must have journaling and then I like to add some painty/arty elements mixed with physical looking things like buttons, sequins, etc.

AJK, Tree City and DisneyMom like this.
  8. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Hmmm.... This always stumps me. I think my style is about clean lines. I can have a full filled layout, but it will have clean lines... or I can have the white space layout with clean lines. Not too much fluff. I do like some, though! I will occasionally have a painty layout!

DisneyMom likes this.
  9. Heidi Nicole

Heidi Nicole Well-Known Member

I’m definitely a minimalist currently. My pages have evolved over the last 10 years of digi scrapping... and it’s a lot different than my paper scrapping style.

I love thinking outside the box, but my comfort is 1-3 photos and a handful of elements. I’m learning more and more about making my pages look realistic, and this year, one of my goals is once a month use a new technique on a layout. (That was easy for January with MOC and all!)

One of my favorite things to do is take a themed kit/collection and use it in a completely different way. I see it as a bit of a challenge, and in my mind it helps other scrappers see that you can stretch your digi stash with a little imagination!

DisneyMom likes this.
  10. GlazeFamily3

GlazeFamily3 Peeking in everyone's windows ...

I think the best way to describe my style is generally mathematical. It feels ironic considering math is generally NOT my favorite!

I love shapes and I love creating designs with shapes and playing with papers. I tend to fill pages this way and embellish minimally otherwise. I also tend to highlight one photo and I often use a big title.

DisneyMom likes this.
  11. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I am so mixed.. it depends on my mood... I can go clean and I can go messy, and anything in between.. analytical and creative LOL

AJK and DisneyMom like this.
  12. Li Li Wee

Li Li Wee I create my imagination

I think my style is everywhere.. lol!

DisneyMom likes this.
  13. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I think I can generally scrap in any style. My favourite tends towards multi-photo layouts and 2 pagers.

DisneyMom likes this.
  14. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I have a very distinct style (I am a woman of tradition & routine, y'know): one picture with lots of elements clustered around it, one background paper with paints underneath the photo + element cluster, some journaling.

DisneyMom likes this.
  15. DisneyMom

DisneyMom official mousketeer

I love hearing about everyone's styles. I find when I do CT work I scrap differently than I do in my personal pages. Not to say I don't use or print my CT work pages. It's a fun challenge to try and fit in as much as the kit as you possibly can. That's where I will layer papers, use paper strips, lots of clusters and Alpha's. But when I'm scrapping for my own personal projects I lean much more towards white space and minimalism and the photo is usually the star of the layout.

16. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

I don't really know how to define my style. I love to try new things, and I get bored doing the same thing all the time. If there is something that is consistent with most of my scrapping, aside from art journaling, it would be that I love lots of flowers, paint, string, and metal ellies. I don't do too many pocket pages, and it's pretty rare that I use journaling cards. When I started scrapping, I'd use photos straight out of the camera and didn't think about how they contributed to the vibe of my page, but now a big part of scrapping is spending time processing the photos to try to get them to go with the feel of the page.

DisneyMom likes this.
  17. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Definitely eclectic. I am becoming more and more minimal in many ways - smaller clusters, more use of paint and stitching as backdrops to photos. However, so much depends on the purpose behind my layouts. I'm currently working on our 2018 summer vacation. Visiting many historic sites, I tend to not only put more photos on the page, but I also embellish less and journal more telling about the details of what we saw and what those meant to me. For scenery, I'm into large photos or large photo masks and minimal journaling. The one constant for me is using a page title.

DisneyMom likes this.
  18. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I started out as a minimalist scrapper with a lot of clean lines, using 1-2 photos. Then over the yrs I started delving more into clustering and the artsy side of it, learning to use brushes, blending, masks, overlays, etc. I started filling up the page more. I've never been a big storyteller and that is something I'm still working on.

What I love about scrapping is that you don't need to have a "style" per se, just do what makes you happy, and that can change from day to day.

Angela Toucan and DisneyMom like this.
  19. AmandaJ

AmandaJ Adagio, or Allegro? I can't decide.

I am a clean and simple girl. But that can apply to the amount of product on the page, or the color palette used. I lean toward just a few photographs and a story. I am definitely a moments scrapper. Events give me the heebie jeebies, LOL!

DisneyMom likes this.
  20. rchansen

rchansen in the sweet tooth recovery program

When I am completing pages for challenges and stuff I like the clean and simple style. But my actual family scrapbooks, vacation albums or girls basketball team albums actually have a lot of photos on each page and are very boxey (kind of pocket style but no templates). Still use just minimal elements. Don't usually do a lot of printed backgrounds, I use more simple, subtle backgrounds. And I am not usually very good at journaling!!

DisneyMom likes this.