What's the temp in your house?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by joelsgirl, Jan 15, 2014.

1. joelsgirl

joelsgirl joelsgirl

SO I'm new to winter, having lived in the tropics for most of my adult life, and we're back in the States from Jan-June.

NOT my favorite time of the year, but I'm adjusting. I've been keeping our thermostat set to 73 during the day & 71 at night, and I'm surviving. I just hate walking around the house all bundled up! In the Philippines I strip down to barely there as soon as we walk in the door; I find clothes to be so cumbersome! :giggle

Anyway, we haven't gotten an electric bill yet, and I was wondering if my comfort is going to kill my budget. What do normal people keep the thermostat set at and what is a normal gas/electric bill?

2. MissKim

MissKim ichthyophobic

Oh Kellie, you crack me up. We set ours on 68 during the day. Sometimes we go up to 70 if it's really cold outside. At night it's at 65. However, in the early morning and later in the evening, you'll find me wrapped up in a blanket on the sofa. I love to pile on the blankets and wear my flannel PJs.

3. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

I prefer 73° but we keep it at 69° so that we can also afford to eat. But I'm pretty freezing. LOL. Everyone else seems fine though.

4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Ours is usually around 68-70 during the day. When I remember I'll turn it down to 65ish at night. I love to sleep under a huge pile of blankets in the winter. :) I'm also known for wearing my wool socks and hoodies to keep cozy and warm (which I also love).

5. Nixenkind

Nixenkind Dreaming of boiling in Brisbane.

75. There are just things I don't compromise on, and temperature is definitely one of them ;). By the way: my husband constantly complains that it's too damn warm... and I'm still freezing. Honestly, my feet are ICE COLD!!! But just look at the name the naming fairy gave me, that says it all...

6. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

72 in the mornings and evenings, but it drops down to 66 during the work day and 62 at night. My office is on separate heat so that's usually... Like... 78. And I'll still have blankets on me. My office heat is a real budget killer, but I can't stand being cold.

7. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

thermostat is set at 63° mostly year round...

8. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I don't get a choice. The thermostat is on 69 degrees year round, so I am always cold and bundled up in a blanket/sweatshirt.

9. Dana

Dana Dana

i keep the downstairs at 70 during the day (cooler at night) and the upstairs anywhere from 63 - 68 depending on the time of day. every once in a while i get cold and turn it up to 73 during the day .. but our gas bills are REALLY expensive so i try to keep it cool. we are looking at a new house that has a geothermal system and solar panels … the gas bill was $30 for november … i am SO hoping we get that house!

10. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

when we sleep 62,
    in the morning (1/2 of crowd showering ) up to 68
    same in the early evening
    during the day, just me here, and it is 62
    our gas bill will sky rocket above that...we have gas stove, water heater and our reg heat.
    It only takes one high bill to make those cumbersome clothes feel better! lol

11. nymalexis

nymalexis New Member

We keep it at 70-71 all the time (we're pretty much always in the house) we turn it down to 65 if we do leave. We have a baby (ok, I guess she's a toddler now, but she's still pretty little) and it's been soo cold this winter, I cant bring myself to keep it any colder. Her little hands get so cold...even if she's all bundled up

12. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Our downstairs temp is 70 during the day and 68 at night. The upstairs is set to 68 all the time.

13. toriloowho

toriloowho Yep… I'm an over thinker.

Ours is set to 68 during the day and goes down to 65 at night. I typically always have a blanket on hand or wear a sweatshirt or cardigan around the house.

14. Tronesia

Tronesia Tronesia

During the day we keep it around 72-74 and at night, it's on 72. I just cannot stand to be cold at home and I do not like wearing clothes like I am walking around outside. It's just uncomfortable. I try to keep it at a nice in between though because of my daughter's eczema... it can get pretty bad if she is too warm or too cold.

15. marnel

marnel Pollywog

It's like 59 right now but it's 41 outside :(

16. FarrahJobling

FarrahJobling FarrahJobling

64 during the day, 68 in the evenings and mornings, and 60 at night. I have a space heater in my office

17. talivstouwe

talivstouwe Am I really that rotten? I can't remember. I'm s

70 when we are home, 65 during the day when we aren't home during the day. I think 66 or 65 while we sleep.

Sometimes when I get home I crank it up to 72.

18. alb52

alb52 · · · – – – · · ·

oh i take that back. 63 during the winter. maybe 76-8 in the summer (feels like it's been forever since it's been any kind of hot outside...).

19. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

70 during the day. At 10 pm it drops to 64 and I freeze my buns off because I'm a night owl, and I stay up til midnight at least! Honestly I'm even cold during the day - I've just resigned myself to the fact that I'll be cold from October-April.

20. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

I was surprised to find so many turn theirs down at night. That's when we turn ours up. When the sun shines through the windows it gets warmer in the day so I can turn it down to around 67 or so but at night it goes to around 69-70. I have to watch my husband though because he will crank it up to around 73 and it kills my sinuses and our bill. It usually runs close to $300+ in the winter.