What's the deal with challenge rules?

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges 2018' started by lou, Jan 30, 2018.

1. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

I have already done so. It shouldn’t be confusing as nothing has changed. The Things was not available on the storefront or via search at any point during this month. It was only available for 3 days during October 2017.

cfile and bestcee like this.
  2. lou

lou Well-Known Member

@lmccandless i have replied to your pm to explain where some could get confused (in short they keep links in a doc, check the link at beginning of MOC, link ok? Yes! use during MOC... Oops now what?)

3. lmccandless

We would never penalize people unfairly. I’ll let those layouts stand.

Karen and cinderella like this.
  4. Tiff

Tiff I don't need no stinking playlists!

There are often multiple parts to the challenge, and I found that after reading them, and mulling over, it was the *main" part of the challenge that I remembered when I made my page. I caught myself once almost uploading a page that didn't meet all the reqs, and then made a habit of re-reading the challenge when I go to upload.

I am so happy to not have any "throw away" pages this year, as I did in past years. That was frustrating to me. I do have some pages this year that have a MOC version and an ALBUM version. One was so substatially different that I even uploaded both to the gallery and noted the difference in the titles. I don't think there is any reason why you *can't* do this.

As for the retired products ... I have a lot of old BYOC that I gradually add to because of SOSN. I love how those kits feel new as I am able to add more sets later. Before this year, most of my 4-5 year old BYOC was still in the store, but unfortunately some great pieces from Valorie Wibbens and Little Butterfly Wings got retired in the last year, so that was kind of disappointing. However, I took note of the retirements, and was thinking ahead that that was going to mean I would have to be more vigilant about checking the store this year during MOC. Luckily, the Search box in the store is pretty good at auto fill (with an image even), so it's pretty quick to see if the product is in the store. However, I just don't understand why they would have retired some of my favorite beautiful products!!! LOL

Overall, this MOC was so much smoother and easier for me than past years. Part of that could me my scrapping situation, and I'm so behind that I have lots of stories and photos to pull from. But I also assume that the Pollys are getting more experienced, and working out the kinks and always making it better. GREAT JOB!

5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

So they can fill the store with new favorite beautiful products? :whistle

6. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

I don't think it is hard to follow the rules at all. This is my 3rd MOC and I have never gotten a conversation because I missed a rule. I'm not saying it's stupid if you've missed a thing or two. I believe that the hosts are checking everything and will point out "wrongs" to those who need it. Nothing wrong with that.
    I'm just saying it's definitely not too much to ask to follow the rules. The Polly's should not have to make exceptions as it is a doable to do it the right way.

londoncuppa, MrsPeel, Karen and 8 others like this.
  7. Serena

Serena Squishy soul poet who loves Walter Hunt

I'm actually paranoid as heck right now because I also haven't gotten any messages.. I'm terrified Julie's going to look at my gallery and go "nope. Disqualified here, here and here!" I know the Polly's have been working their butts off, but we have 400+ participating, that's a LOT of people!!! I wish I could help in some way, I do NOT envy them right now with the amount of work all this takes.

I agree with you, I have two MoC layouts I'm going to redo for me, but it was easy just putting those up for the challenge and leaving them there. :D I just read and had the challenge thread up every time I was making a layout and kept re-reading it as I went.

MrsPeel, Karen and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  8. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

When the challenge host has commented in the gallery on that page, you're good to go.
    I'm pretty sure it's the same thing if they "like" your post in the thread with your page in it. Then it's a go.
    You probably have no need to stress. :)

MrsPeel, lcpereyra, jk703 and 3 others like this.
  9. lmccandless

@Serena - We endeavor to be super, and I mean SUPER, vigiliant about catching any pages that don't meet the guidelines as quickly as possible so that you have time to change things if needed. We don't want to find anything last minute that would disqualify someone... anymore then you would want that to happen. Fingers crossed, but I don't think we've ever had that happen in 5 years of MOC. So, rest easy :)

suzyqscraps, MrsPeel, Karen and 6 others like this.
  10. Serena

@lmccandless Yes ma'am! Thank you! I just know that we're ALL human too and mistakes can happen, plus I was raised to think that everything I did was wrong, so I'm always sure that I'm doing things wrong. I can say "Hi, my name is Serena!" and someone will go "are you sure?" and for a minute my brain will blank and I'll second guess myself..

That said, everyone is working SO hard and having myself watched the gallery explode (and only have to hit refresh every minute or so after spamming the gallery to get fresh things to comment on!) I have to say this event is incredibly awesome and I wish I had signed up for four and five instead of being chicken and waiting until now! Consider me pre-signed up for MoC7! :D I'm READY! :giggle

MrsPeel, bbymks5, Karen and 8 others like this.
  11. lmccandless

@Serena - You know TLP is the place of YES. You never have to worry about being sure here. xo

Someone in the backroom said that MOC7 is 334 days away. Countdown begins... LOL

easyeyes4you, MrsPeel, Karen and 9 others like this.
  12. Serena

:lmao @lmccandless I'm pretty sure @mrs2a50 is permanently hiding under a table now :hide... I was going to offer to be her personal assistant but I can't seem to find her anywhere, she's running! :run:rofl

MrsPeel and cfile like this.
  13. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

Even if you follow the rules, though, you may get a conversation. One of my takeaways from the first challenge this year was to be thorough in my credits. I had 5 brads and a sticker as my 6 elements, but the sticker was put on a journal card so it looked to the host like only 5 elements instead of the required 6. Once I clarified, all was okay. So, (a) I learned to list better in my credits and (b) learned that you can't expect the host to know what's in every kit in the entire store. :)

14. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Hiding, but with my laptop! :giggle

15. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Wouldn't that make us truly amazing! :lmao

suzyqscraps, MrsPeel, Karen and 6 others like this.
  16. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Yeah! We need "ready for MOC7" siggy graphics now! :rollin

And Serena, I love how you added "I Survived" to your MOC6 graphic.

MrsPeel, Karen, LynnG and 2 others like this.
  17. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

Last year's MOC was my first. I thought it was an elimination contest and, since there is a big prize, that I was the only responsible to check if I met the requirements. I was grateful that a host contacted me about a problem on my page. Then I realized that they trully want us all to succeed. #ilovethisplace

MrsPeel, lcpereyra, Karen and 11 others like this.
  18. LynnG

LynnG Designer

I have rarely related to a post so much :thumbsups

19. Rikki

Rikki Next I'm going to look up naughty limericks

There is no rule that forbids you to use the one perfect item that you have that is not in the store. After all you have 25% to spend on things not only not in the shop but even from outside TLP. I would think that gives us plenty of wriggle room, no?

Like for @cinderella last year was my first MOC and I thought everybody is responsible for whether they meet all criteria. I was surprised to find that you get contacted if you did something wrong. That is a very nice thing to do and certainly doesn't go without saying. This just proves one more time what an awesome place the Pad is.

lmccandless, MrsPeel, Karen and 4 others like this.
  20. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

This! A million times this!!!