What's the deal with challenge rules?

Discussion in 'Month of Challenges 2018' started by lou, Jan 30, 2018.

1. lou

lou Well-Known Member

So I am a rule follower, I read and re-read the rules before I start a challenge, during the page making process and before posting just to be sure.
    But I have seen so many pages now which are off one way or another (photos when photo-less is specified, art dolls not using the provided template, in today's challenge so much stuff sticking out of the row...). So are the rules just guidelines? and if nobody says anything, that's fine, we do not get disqualified from the GC? Or do we?
    And is it ok to point out the "trespassing" in a comment. I sure would prefer someone tells me early rather than late if I need to modify a page.. especially now with only 2 days left. Like "what a fantastic page, I like this and that about it but...". But all I see is positive comments, so is it just not the thing to do? or is everyone busy being polite, or going back to the start of my question does it just not matter if we "break the rules" a tidbit?
    What's the deal?! This is my first MOC and I'm very perplex! ;-)

LoveItScrapIt and crazsquaw like this.
  2. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I think the person who creates and posts the challenge is responsible for reviewing all the layouts submitted and contacting people via private message when they find a rule broken. This is my third MOC and I only got a private message for the first time early this month, so I used to think they might be easygoing about it. It must be hard to be absolutely thorough. But I do believe they try.

3. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

The Polly who hosts the challenge goes through the thread. We do not publicly point out if someone has a page that is missing something. We will send a Conversation.
    There are times that a page is updated, but does not show as updated in the thread because of computer cache, or they may have updated it and reloaded the page. On occasion, something like journaling might be sent to the challenge host, per the challenge rules, so you might not see that changed in the gallery.

Since only 1 Polly is checking the requirements for that challenge, you will see others comment on the page, and leave any rule fixing up to the challenge Polly.

Anything to add Laura @lmccandless or Julie @mrs2a50 ?

4. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Hi Lou - the rules are definitely not arbitrary, and we do contact the scrappers that clearly did not follow the rules. Sometimes you might be seeing their pages before they were contacted, or you're seeing a cached page that was fixed but isn't showing for you. Sometimes the host might decide that the page follows the "spirit" of the challenge (i.e., maybe a mosaic or a dispersion wasn't exactly how it was supposed to look, but the scrapper clearly made an effort to try the technique so we allow it). There is a fine line between being overly picky about certain things, and allowing people to express themselves. We try to maintain that balance while still following the guidelines that we've set out.

5. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

I am usually a rule follower, but I have gotten conversations where I was told to change my page more than once. It appears to be more opinion based than maybe some realize. Sometimes I also think the rules can be unclear or leave out something that maybe should be a requirement, especially if you contact someone about it. I even look through other pages to make sure I haven't missed anything, but somehow still end up in trouble. I agree if rules are clearly missed, definitely let that person know, but if it's subjective based on opinion only, then maybe best to give people a break. It's not easy to scrap that much, but it is fun and should be fun to try to meet the challenges. That's just my honest outsider view of it as someone who has tried to participate several times and completed the full challenge once or twice.

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  6. lou

lou Well-Known Member

I do get the "ok you tried the technique, so it's ok", that is why I gave some very specific examples where there is no technique or my software won't let me do that kind of issues.
    But thanks for clarifying!
    Seeing "wrong" pages, do drive the OCD-me crazy! lol

Nemla, cfile and Karen like this.
  7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

We definitely try to make our rules as clear as possible. We have spent months ahead of time on our challenges and have lots of people review the rules before we post, but there's nothing like posting it in the public to see where you maybe weren't so clear after all. :giggle We really do try super duper hard though!

Julie nailed it when she said we try to have clear rule that allow you guys to be creative, but still stick with the spirit of the challenge, but with so many super talented, creative and versatile scrappers, that's not always an easy task. And yes, if we see that you missed something we will send you a quick private message. We all want you all to succeed! :)

Ferdy, Aerobigirl, yellowpeep and 7 others like this.
  8. lou

lou Well-Known Member

Kat, I gave some specific examples where the rules are not at all unclear and they are there from the start. I would not notice more subtle or "open to interpretation". I do look through other pages, and that is why I get more confused than not. Take today's challenge "No elements, journaling, or papers outside of the columned design other than your background. (shadows, small overhang or dates are fine, as illustrated in my first page below)"... that is not open to interpretation, that's pretty clear cut. Then I look at people's pages, and i'm like "hmmm paint and splatter ok? not ok?" shall I make the page I really want to make or shall I strictly follow the rules? Confusing...

9. bestcee

Both!
    I don't know if you saw Cheryl, gonewiththewind, blind scrap page? She made one for the challenge, following all the rules. Saved and set aside. Then she added on to it in her normal style. She uploaded the challenge one to the challenge, but will print the more full one.

10. Kat

I tend to read fast, so I know I miss details sometimes... I need to know that for sure. I do know that I loved advice from Cheryl of Fiddle Dee Dee Designs. Her first week of MOC Watch Cheryl Scrap she said she makes a page for the rules and then customizes and adds to it to make it "her" if needed. I thought that was an awesome idea. I haven't looked at today's. I'm super behind. I do try to make my page as close as possible to challenge example but that can be hard on some of them.

I do think a discussion on this helps everyone. We all get confused at times.

11. Kat

great minds courtney, lol!! I was saying the same thing at the same time you were. ha ha :)

Karen and bestcee like this.
  12. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Definitely rules. When you look through the thread, particularly early on in the challenge, you could very well be seeing pages that haven't been messaged yet, or were messaged but haven't been fixed. Believe me when I say we have been messaging a LOT this MOC. If the rules don't fit your particular scrap style, by all means add some additional items to it later, like Courtney said, so you have one page for the MOC event, and one page for your album.

LoveItScrapIt, Sara, MrsPeel and 9 others like this.
  13. bestcee

Here's Cheryl's: she had a video too, but in the thumbnail you can see the difference between the two pages!
    [​IMG]

Kat likes this.
  14. sbpoet

sbpoet Well-Known Member

Last year I had to redo one page, because I didn't read the rules carefully. This year I've had to redo two, one twice! One of these was entirely my fault, as I tend to get into the rhythm of a page and forget the rules. The other might be an interpretation issue, but the challenger's interpretation rules!

15. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

It's my opinion ( :-) ) that the hosts have done exactly as you have said. This is my first attempt at MOC, and I have gotten two convos. Both were courteous and fair. :bk

sbee, yellowpeep, MrsPeel and 3 others like this.
  16. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

We do try very, very hard to make the rules as clear and easy to follow as possible. At the same time, we do have to enforce them since we are giving out $20 gift certificates for completion. We greatly appreciate your grace and understanding if you are contacted by a host. Please remember they are trying to help make sure that you get your gift certificate. I think it's also important to remember that it isn't fun or comfortable for that Polly when she has to contact you about a challenge page. They are volunteers who are doing this out of love for scrapping and the Pad, so please remember... don't shoot the messenger. Kindness and patience when we can't hear the tone of a written conversation go a long way!

17. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

OK, I am going to speak out (don't hit me!!!!) I am going to agree with @lou on today's challenge. I also looked through the layouts because I had an element sticking out beyond the lines. I saw MANY layouts with all kinds of stuff sticking out beyond the lines. Then I read the rules and thought "no way! We are too near the end for me to get a correction notice!" So I made sure nothing was sticking out beyond the lines we were allowed. It definitely said a vertical or horizontal rectangle with everything inside the rectangle and I'm good girl!!! That's what I did!!! :love
    And to all you ladies who brought us all these fantastic challenges? HUGS HUGS HUGS!!!!!!

18. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Another two cents: Life is much simpler, more pleasant when each one looks after themselves and gives grace to others. I am so glad that I am not responsible for more than myself- that is a big enough job!!LOL:crazy3
    That said, this has been by far the BEST activity I have ever had online! I have designed for several years and been at several sites, but TLP is alive, current and real. Thank you to each who made MOC possible, it was definitely a sacrifice of personal time. :clap:clappy
    TLP, :yourock

19. NancyP

NancyP All you need is a little bit of pixie dust

@AJK Well said, my friend, well said!!! I totally agree!

MrsPeel likes this.
  20. jesskab

jesskab Watch me sizzle & twizzle

Welcome to MOC, it really is a wonderful event! This is my 4th MOC. This year I've made mistakes on 4 different pages. I have never done that before & I was getting very frustrated. I have to say, the higher ups have been wonderful. Several Pollys have offered help & encouragement. Julie patiently listened while I tried to figure out what my mental block was. Some of us just process things differently. I know that a Polly will let me know, very nicely, when I need to correct a page. So, as frustrating as it is for you to see mistakes in the gallery, we that make mistakes are just as frustrated. I hope you can still enjoy all the wonderful art in the gallery, even if they aren't fixed yet.
    :heartslub

Vrielinkie, MrsPeel, LynnG and 9 others like this.