What's In Your Tool Box - Stamps and Stamp Pads

Discussion in 'Hybrid Pad' started by ArmyGrl, Jul 12, 2022.

1. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

So...I wanted to do something then realized I don't have stamp pads. They dried out and thus I thew them out prior to my last move (rather than buy refill ink...maybe I should have bought refill ink).

Anyways, just got some Ranger Ink in as well as Brilliance brand. Sepias are on their way. The black, white, gold, and sepia are what I was going for. Got sucked into the other colors (thanks Amazon). In the past I used Stampin-Up pads and inks and really do like their brand. Because I like to layer paint/gesso, stamp, more paint/gesso I am leaning more towards permanent inks these days. Which reminds me, I forgot to purchase stamp cleaner.

I'll let ya know how I like (or not) these Rangers.

IMG_7928.jpeg

Do you have favorite stamp pads? Brands? Colors? Do you use water based or permanent?

Do you have artwork using stamps somewhere in the layout you'd like to share with us? And or techniques using stamps or stamp pads (e.g. distressing edges)?

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  2. mywisecrafts

mywisecrafts Pollywog

Ummmmm, let's not ask......so stamp wise, I love tim holt ditress oxide ink pad, alternes ink pads and pink fresh ink pads. I have a few others but these are my major ink pads. I do like altenew obsidian pigment ink for when I like to "water color" with my ink pad colors. It's a black ink that does better with wet applications.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  3. ArmyGrl

I am intrigued by this. Will have to check it out...I do like the look of ink splotches....sounds like one could get that look with this.

4. mywisecrafts

mywisecrafts Pollywog

that altenew obsidian is great for using stamps and coloring/painting them in with the bold outline.

paint splotches..... try adding some water to your paper first before applying the paint..... Oh it's quite fun..... do it on the gelli pad as well before transferring the color to the paper..... get some funky fun stuff. I do stamp my ink pads onto a class surface and play with the ink that way and mix it with water, etc.

5. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I have a distressed ink that’s kind of tea stain color and a black one, but I have very few stamps to use them.

6. CharlotteM

CharlotteM Well-Known Member

I have a lot of ink pads - and not only use them for stamping, but much more often to design backgrounds

1. Distress oxide - I love it very much because the color is very creamy and full-bodied.
    I have many colors, I mainly use these sea colors.
    The advantage is that the colors are perfect to use as a background, with a sponge, especially for tags and cards, I often spray stamp cleaner on the finished background, this creates beautiful stains

2. For me, the perfect universal color is Memento's "Paris dusk". Black is often too dark for me and this color is a full, very dark blue and looks very nice

3. I find these brown tones ideal for edges and gradations, since the companies don't take that much

4. I find the small Brilliance stamp colors ideal for cards, I love the gold tones

I mostly have non-waterproof colors because they are creamier and easier to spread.
    The downside is that they can run when you then build more layers on top of them

If you're just using them for stamping, the waterproof ones are good too

[​IMG]

7. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I have real problems with ink pads ,which is a pity because I really love them.
    Any tips on how to keep them nice and flowing? Maybe it is the climate here in Malta. But even the best brands,seems to turn I to something resembling lipstick in consistency,and I have so far ruined 2acrylic blocks,because I simply can not get them clean after the ink has turned that way,went every where ,including on the block. Please say you( or someone.... anyone ) have a solution.

8. ArmyGrl

My heart is so happy to have these conversations. My Gel Press is still "new" at just 2 months old. I never, never thought to add some water BEFORE laying the paper down. Yes, I can understand how interesting patterns (or splotches or a bit of a watercolor look) can be achieved. Thank you!

9. ArmyGrl

Thank you, thank you, thank you Charlotte :fairydance I am wanting the stamp pads to make tags (of course I'll use them for many other reasons too). I love your recommendations to use a sponge to lay down the color and to use the stamp cleaner to get that stained/ink splatter in reverse look lol. I wonder if isopropyl alcohol would do the trick too. Gotta try as I have the alcohol but forgot to purchase the stamp cleaner (and no I will not use alcohol to clean the stamps in fear of drying out the rubber).

I will hunt for some Paris Dusk. Yes, you are correct. Sometimes rich, pigmented black is too strong. A toned down look is often desired. Yay! :D

Thank you again for the ideas, tips and colors!!!!

CharlotteM likes this.
  10. mywisecrafts

mywisecrafts Pollywog

Try the alcohol spray and let us know......

clear gesso or gel medium is good for making paper or the finished product more water resistant. I haven't tried it yet on stamps or water coloring but plan to do so so I can do more with the water color effect.

ArmyGrl likes this.
  11. ArmyGrl

Vivi, I have not had this issue - pigments becoming too thick. I am thinking, like you, it may be a heat / humidity issue. Have you tried thinning out the stamp pads with distilled water? Using a pipette or eye dropper add a few, small drops around the pad surface?

Many brands make ink refills. Does refreshing the stamp with fresh ink help?

For the acrylic blocks, have you tried using stamp cleaner? Like a Ranger archival ink cleaner (good for water based and permanent inks)?

12. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

My favourite brands are Gemini, Spectrum Noir and Crafter's Companion (primarily due to them being UK brands).

13. Becca Bonneville

Becca Bonneville Oh my God Becky

My favorite stamps and inks are Catherine Pooler’s. She uses squishy foam pads which are lovely.

14. ArmyGrl

I had not heard of these. Ooooo - "googled" them - such yummy colors!

15. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Where do you find those acrylic blocks that people stick their stamps on before inking them? I can't find any!

16. Becca Bonneville

Yes!! I might be a bit biased since I illustrate for CP but honestly, the stamp pads are super juicy and fab. The black ink (midnight) is archival but the other inks are water-reactive and can make some fab background blending etc. They have a lot of Facebook lives and YouTube videos where you can see her stuff in use.

17. Becca Bonneville

Again, I love Catherine Pooler's blocks haha. She has several shapes and sizes. They feel super good in hand.

18. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm thrilled that I found 4 of my Tim Holtz Distress Inks and a couple of Momentas. I need to replace my ink refills, however. I inked the page of my envelope journal before I added the elements and love the way it came out.
    Susie, have you looked on Amazon? I got mine (that are lost, of course), at Michael's.

19. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I could just cry right now. I have NO acrylic stamps, or a few of the wooden ones I had, no acrylic blocks, hardly any ink pads. I just placed a very basic order on Amazon - the quest to replace my art supplies has begun. I DID find 3 of my Tim Holtz Distress ink pads and a couple of my Momenta inks pads.

I ordered a few more Distress Inks, some stencils, brushes, a set of basic acrylic paints - like I said, VERY basic to start with. :cry

20. ArmyGrl

@Cherylndesigns I am so incredibly sad for you!!! Thats the part of moving that absolutely sucks - stuff getting lost or broken. Its why I still do not have really nice furniture. I used to move every 3 - 4 years. Anyways. I am crying with you for real. Stamps and store-bought stencils last forever. That is an incredible loss.