What software do you use to digi scrap?

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by Grrrma, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

I've had PSE 7 then PSE 8, I don't feel the need to upgrade at all until I get a new computer. And I'm not going to be doing any designing at all so I refuse to use a software that I will need to pay a monthly service fee too. I can't afford that anyways. The reason I bought elements is I researched online before I bought, and at the time Costco had a coupon so I was able to buy the software for $50

MrsPeel likes this.
  2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I started in 2006 with Photoshop 7 because my Dad had an old copy he wasn't using anymore and therefore it was free to me. Also, way back then digital scrapbooking was so new and nobody really knew what they were doing and those that did, and were kind enough to write tutorials were almost all written for Photoshop. Then I upgraded to Photoshop CS5 in about 2009 and I'm still using that today.

MrsPeel likes this.
  3. mummyd

mummyd Iron Maiden ...

I use PS CS5 and CS6, love them both, but do use CS5 a lot more, old habbits on that software

4. scrappyjedi

scrappyjedi Patience you must have, my young padawan

I started with Photoshop CS5, but then only reason I started with the "expensive" software was because Darren was still taking classes (after his first two degrees...ahem) at University and was able to get it for me with a student discount. Not long afterward, I realized it was the perfect choice because it could put shadows on their own layers, etc.

I use CS6 now and plan on staying with it forever and ever amen, because I really don't want to pay monthly for my software.

MrsPeel and ForeverJoy like this.
  5. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

I tried years ago on an Elements product and couldn't figure out. This was back when it was a fairly new concept to me and probably to most of the scrapping world. I gave up and went back to traditional but then was given a Storybook software and I even found someone who would teach me in person how to use it! That sold me and I've been using SBC ever since. I've purchased the Artisan 5 product but haven't moved over yet.

I've considered moving over to something more "mainstream" but find the thought to learn something new too intimidating. I think it could be easier now to learn it on my own because of tutorials and I know the "lingo" but a) i have no real desire and b) all my projects and templates are in SBC/Artisan format and I'd be out some $$ :)

I am super happy anytime a deisgner offers templates in page files and now that I know how to convert pngs, it's also opened my horizons up a bit :)

MrsPeel likes this.
  6. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Like Karen I use CraftArtist . I do have photoshop, and like to play with it ,and I always use it for the template challenges, because using pngs are a pain ,but Craft Artist is a lot more user friendly , and there really isn't much it can't do .

MrsPeel likes this.
  7. yzerbear19

yzerbear19 CT - Krista Sahlin

In the early 2000's I started with Photoshop 7.0 to make desktop wallpapers. So I learned a lot of skills making those. It wasn't until 2007 that I started digiscrapping. I loved PS7 even though it didn't have all the newest features. It was a great program. I tried PS Elements just because a version of it came with the scanner I bought my Mom and it wasn't as easy to me as PS I think because I was just used to the features in regular Photoshop. I did upgrade to PS CS2. I also have a subscription for Adobe Lightroom that includes PS CC2015.

I like having lots of options to do things in Photoshop. I think I would find a scrapbooking only program more limiting.

MrsPeel likes this.
  8. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

I started with GIMP and I've changed for PS CS6. And I Love it, because I can play easier with the shadows.

MrsPeel likes this.
  9. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

I did have paint shop pro way before I had even heard of digital scrapping. I couldn't find any tutorials and I couldn't grasp the concept of layers without them (apparently!). I got a copy of PSE5 I think free with a printer (again before my digi scrapping days). Someone I used to crop with did some digital scrapbooking and she sorted me out with the layers. As I moved over from paper to digital scrapping I upgraded to PSE9 then now I am on 11. I won't move to a pay monthly Adobe option until there is no other option.

I have to admit that I was surprised to learn so many people use other than PSE or PS. I thought other programs were more basic but I can see from looking through galleries that is not so and there are so many beautiful and creative pages from none Adobe folks.

MrsPeel likes this.
  10. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I started digiscrapping with Storybook Creator, then SBC4, then Artisan 4, now Artisan 5, though I still use 4 for page file converting for template designers. The software is a lot more sophisticated and capable than most people think.

I do have PSE but I only use it along with an action for saving png layers when I come across a psd template that I've picked up that doesn't include a folder of png layers.

11. chickypow

chickypow All I need is my gun, and my blankie

Started with PSE back in 2007 then upgraded to PSCS at some point and am now on PSCS5 and I'm staying here. I tried PS CC and while I love the glyph option, I know CS5 inside and out and don't wanna change haha.

12. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

I should have mentioned that I did use Pixelmator for years and years and I loved it. I know, um, one other person that scraps with it. I know it's super uncommon. But it's sooooo user-friendly, cheaper than PSE and does more. The only problem is it's Mac only and I had to switch to Windows for non-scrapping-related Windows. Otherwise I'd probably still be using it.

13. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I started digi back when CM released it's sbcStudio for MAC. Bought my MacBook Pro just for that reason. Well, most of us know how that worked out. I belong to a group on Facebook and my friends encouraged me to switch to PSE. I was very reluctant. I tried everything there was to try - iScrapbook, My Memories, maybe a few others that I can't remember. I finally downloaded a 30 day free trial of PSE 10. Took some Jessica Sprague classes and never looked back. I eventually upgraded to PSE 12. Then after a crashed computer which resulted in me buying a brand new MacBook Pro last year, I did the 30 day trial of PS CC. I wasn't so sure if I was going to keep it, but it has spell check!!

Lynnette likes this.
  14. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I have this on my Mac. I must have gotten it awhile ago thinking I would use it! I never have... I don't even know much about it! Funny you mentioned it today, I just saw it loaded in the programs yesterday! :giggle

15. StarryEyedDesigns

StarryEyedDesigns My goal, is to make a goal

PaintShop Pro X6 currently. PaintShop has always been easier for me. I PSP and PS CS4 when designing though. Depends on what I am trying to make.

16. ~Mary

~Mary Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth

I can't remember the name of the program I used for so long to edit photos - but I started with Adobe with PSE6. I bought a book for dummies and taught myself to use it. I really wanted Illustrator (I used to use Inkscape, a free vector drawing program) so I bought CS6 a few years ago and decided I liked Elements better. I bought PSE10 and that is the one I know inside and out. I upgraded to PSE14 before Christmas and am finally getting the hang of it. I use Illustrator for fun when I design my own things, Photoshop (CS6) when I can't do what I need to in PSE, but PSE14 for scrapping. I had planned to upgrade to CC this year but not sure if I am going to yet. I can still do what I need to in CS6 so am not sure why I need to upgrade yet. I would rather get a really good scanner instead. I have sooooo many old photos that have not been scanned yet.

17. lorryfach

lorryfach Likes to be chauffeured

Have you considered a scanning service instead? Scanning is tedious and easy to mess up when you're working in large quantities.

18. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

19. readingfool

readingfool Well-Known Member

My son taught me the basics of PS many years ago, then when I went to school I got CS4 for one of my classes, and have since upgraded to CS6 - some day I will move to PSCC, if/when CS6 stops working.

20. jenny

jenny jenny

This is me as well since November 2013. I think it may have been a Black Friday sale actually. I didn't love the idea of not outright owning, but have gotten used to it. I use both Photoshop and Lightroom frequently and find the cost to be reasonable. Our Canadian dollar is increasing it slightly but fingers crossed that improves soon!

Lindzee likes this.