What are your plans for 2014?

Discussion in 'Project Life/365/52' started by dennydenny, Dec 6, 2013.

1. dennydenny

dennydenny Why can't it snow in the Bahamas?

I started project life in 2013 but I'm very behind.
    I use the 8x10 vertical blurb photo book format. 12x12 is to big for me, and 7x7 too small even though I've used it for 2009 project 365 (the only album for the everyday photos that I finished:whistle).
    What are your plans?
    Next year I want to make things as simple as possible.
    I think to go weekly again because I take a lot of photos but I wish to add some full page photos too. I think I'll use a white background and a very clean style. But I don't know which template to use (there aren't many in 8x10 format).. what do you suggest?

2. Nixenkind

Nixenkind Dreaming of boiling in Brisbane.

2013 was my first PL-year, too, and I struggled all year to find a format and way that works for me...
    I started doing a daily 12x12 single layout, only to find out in summer that it's more stress than fun... so I changed to a weekly rhythm, which worked much better. I went through all kinds of templates, until I noticed in November that I missed leafing through a real book... printing 12x12 is way too expensive here since it's an unusual format in Germany, so I did a radical change and switched to A4. I bought some very simple A4 templates...
    Now I keep modifying them. I have more than 70 different templates I all made from the 6 I had at the beginning :whistle. I do a two page spread every week and just had the first bunch printed... it's so great to have something to touch again!!!
    I don't know about 8x10 since I never scrapped in that format, but if it's possible to get very basic templates, it's easy to change them by just combining spots in different ways... I always lay a basic paper beneath two spots I want to combine and cut it out in the shape of both spots... if that makes any sense, sorry, I'm not a native speaker.

I (for example) take this:
    [​IMG]

And then make this:
    [​IMG]

I will continue in this way next year... I think it might finally be something that works for me. But it took me all year to get there...:dizzy

3. jenevang

jenevang Rocking a two-piece under my scrubs

Here are some 8.5 x 11 pocket templates in the store. I'll bet you could import them and squish to 8x10 b/f using them and they would work great...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Also comes in Rounded Edges

For me... I'm gonna try (again). This time weekly. In 2013, I tried a 2 page spread every month and honestly, had too many photos, LOL. The problem is that some weeks I have tons and some only a couple. I'm gonna be flexible :)

4. Nixenkind

Nixenkind Dreaming of boiling in Brisbane.

Oh no no no, don't you show me more templates ;)...

Changing the size works great for me, too... it's only a few clicks, and there are SO MANY great 8.5x11 templates... excuse me while I go shopping...

5. jenevang

Sorry, LOL. Gotta enable by digi peeps :)

6. dennydenny

Thank you girls! You are great!
    Nixenkind, I'm not a native speaker too, I'm Italian :giggle! I think you have done a great job doing all those template :thumbsups
    Yes, I can definitely use the 8,5x11 templates and resize them, the difference should not be much in the end... I hope.
    Thank you very much Jen for all the links! :heartlub

7. dennydenny

I purchased the Valorie Wibbens PocketsNo4, they're great! I reduce it at 85% so they fit perfectly in my 8x10 page :wooot

8. jenevang

Awesome! Can't wait to see you rock your PL :)

9. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

I used Lynne-Marie's Horizontal template builder above and it worked great!

10. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

My plan is: don't join in! It's worked great these last two years. :) I will just admire all of your pages in the gallery. Good luck this year, ladies!

11. zakirahzakaria

zakirahzakaria Making to-do lists CHECK. Checking to-do lists...

I'm planning to try PL next year! My plan of attack is doing monthly reviews. Some months I might have more pictures, some I might have less. Hope this will work for me.

12. MelanieB

MelanieB Well-Known Member

I have finally found a system that works for me! I love my system. I've found a way to mix 3x4 & 4x6 photos & journal cards with larger scrapbooking layouts. I'm not married & I don't have children, and as much as I enjoy my life, it's just not exciting enough to fill two 12x12 pages every week! I decided to use the Simple Stories 6x8 Sn@p binder & pages (which I know is a bit too small for you, but it's an option!). I add things as they happen, not by week. This is so much easier!

I started each month with a title card from Paislee Press & a screenshot of the weather on my phone. In 2014 I'm also going to add a calendar:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I used Splendid Finns' monthly kits for journal cards & fillers. I like how there's a colour theme for each month. I'm going to use them again this year:

[​IMG]

I take a lot of photos with my phone. I use the Collect app, the greatest app ever, to create a monthly calendar and to create 3x4 cards for important events/photos. The cards fit easily into 3x4 pockets (or templates!). There are 7 different card styles to choose from. Each card includes a photo, the date, plus space to add notes. I chose the 'Graceful' card style (I added the black border around the card just for this photo; otherwise you can't see the cards on the white background of this post!):

[​IMG]

For special occasions (& for TLP challenges!), I've started using Amy Martin's 6x8 templates. I've also found it very easy to change most 12x12 templates into a 6x8 format. It slips right into the 6x8 Sn@p page:

[​IMG]

For example, I changed the template from this month's template challenge to 6x8:

[​IMG]

I can't wait for 2014. :woot
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  13. kaphelps

kaphelps CT - OLB

Love what you've done Melanie - Splendid Fiins monthly card kits are amazing- off to check out that "Collect" app! TFS!

14. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

2013 was a year of trial and error for and I've finally found my groove and will continue doing hybrid PL... using design A page protectors and continuing to do weekly spreads... I have 2 planners for recording photos and quotes and special activities, one for my desk and a smaller moleskine one for my purse and for art journaling

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  15. sushimommy

sushimommy Could you point me to the helipad?

Just snapped up (another) project life kit (I am hybrid) - hsn has the just add color kit (the one with the square pocket and the photo pockets) for better than half price, also the markers and extra envelope pages (I want to add a photo cd each month in 2014)

16. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

I think I've finally found a format I like as well. I'll definitely do digital again, and will probably continue doing larger photos on one page with blocked photos on the facing page. I also will probably continue to do quarterly albums - so, 4 books per year - and merge PL weekly layouts with my scrapbook layouts that pertain to that particular week. That way, the whole year is all merged together and I'm not doing a bunch of different albums.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  17. Ink and Pixels

Ink and Pixels Active Member

Melanie B - I'm dying to see a few of you PL pages.. Will you post a few? :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  18. Jen

Jen I believe in patterns & conspiracies!

I'm going to be giving PL a go this year. No kids at home except a 19yo, but I'm hoping I can find enough to do. That's going to be my challenge for the year also.

19. Heather Prins

Heather Prins Heather Prins

yay!!! new Pl-ers!!!! Jen you rock!!

20. krscraps

krscraps I'm a nerd.

Im gonna attempt project life this year. I'm single, living at home with no kids, so it's gonna be a struggle.

We'll see.