What are different file formats?

Discussion in 'Help Pad' started by addykan, Feb 5, 2014.

1. addykan

addykan 5* Brit Bear

Hi, I've just bought a template file and when I came to download it it came in 4 different file formats.
    PNG ( which is all the little elements on there own)
    Pages ( which PSE wouldn't open it)
    PSD which is the photoshop document with all the layers
    Tifs Which looks the same as the PSD when I open it.

Whats the difference between a TIF and a PSD?

Do people keep all 4 different files or do you just keep the one which is relevant?
    Thanks
    Karen x

2. Roboliver

Roboliver I feel right at home at the Glitter Gulch!

I think that the TIF & PSD are super similar but the TIFs are a bit smaller. That's the one I use the most. I don't keep any of the others.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  3. MissKim

MissKim ichthyophobic

A .tiff file is a smaller file size but preserves the layers. A .psd file is the native photoshop format. I prefer to download .tiff files (and will convert a template to .tiff if it only comes in .psd) because of the smaller file size and because I can see a preview when I'm looking through my folders.

The other two file types are used by people who use software other than photoshop.

I only keep the .tiff files. The smaller the file, the more room I have on my hard drive to buy more.

4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

I used to only get the psds they are the layers in one page, but you can't see them when searching saved PSDs, but you can with TIFFS. So I only get the TIFFS, and I save my layers as a TIFF now, and then a JPG. The PNGs are for people that aren't using Photoshop, other programs won't open the TIFFs or PSDs.
    Tiffs are supposed to be a smaller file also. So I love the TIFF

all the acronyms are crazy huh?

5. addykan

addykan 5* Brit Bear

Thank you so much everyone! I was downloading and keeping everything!!!!!
    Now I know to keep Tiffs! Perfect, it's all a bit confusing at the beginning.
    Thank you xx