Tutorial - Easy Matted Border

Discussion in 'Learning Pad' started by cfile, Sep 5, 2020.

1. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Ferdy @Ferdy asked me how I made the matted border that I use a lot for my pages, so below is a quick tutorial. This is being done in Photoshop CC however this is a simple process and can be done in any of the scrapping softwares.

Here is the page I made with the border:
    [​IMG]

***If you click on the screen shots they will enlarge to see better :) ***

1) Start with choosing your papers. I will use 3 papers from Pink Reptile Design’s Unscripted papers (Sept 2020 BYOC):

Off white: PRD – Unscripted SP 06

Teal : PRD – Unscripted SP 09
    matted border1.JPG
    Teal Patterned: PRD – Unscripted PP 07
    matted border2.JPG
    2) In your layout, place your base/background paper layer. I am using the teal (SP 09) that I have darkened a little, as the bottom layer.

3)Add a new layer above the background layer and place the off white paper (SP 06). I use the Edit>Transform >Scale on the white paper layer to resize a smidge. On most PS programs you can hold Alt and drag in from the corner and it will resize H & W (height & width) at the same time, otherwise resize each (H & W) the same amount. Then add a shadow to the off white paper like this:
    matted border3.JPG
    4) Now we need to add a new blank layer above the white paper layer

5)Using the Marquee Rectangle tool on the blank layer we need to draw a rectangle in from the edge of the white paper. I use the little + guide as a measure for the side and bottom edge width: (Start with the marquee tool at the top right and holding the shift move your mouse down to the bottom right and using the + for the guide)

matted border4.JPG

6) With ants active, using the paint can (flood tool) on the blank layer fill with color – any color.
    flood tool_paint can.JPG

matted border5.JPG

7) Repeat step 5 with the marquee rectangle tool and on the flood filled layer do the same from the edge using the + as your guide for width… from top left to bottom right holding down the shift key.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  2. cfile

8) When your shape is done, press delete to cut out the inside of the filled layer for a border.

matted border6.JPG

9) Now add an inner shadow on the border line.( fxon the bottom of the layer panel and choose inner shadow) I have the blend mode set to linear burn with a dark brown shade opacity 30, angle set to 120, distance 13 and size 13

matted border7.JPG

10) Now we will clip the patterned paper to this matted area we just made. Place patterned paper above the shape and clip it (Alt+Ctrl+G) or right click with your mouse on the pattern paper and select create clipping mask . Clip the pattern paper to the inner shadow layer:
    matted border8.JPG

11) Add a new blank layer.

12) Using the marquee rectangle tool again, draw a new marquee rectangle inside the matt border we just created. Use the + as a guide again.

13) Once selection is made, go to Edit>Stroke and choose a color you want your stroke to be… I am going to use the teal color of the background. My size of the stroke is 3… this will put a 3 pixel stroke around the inside edge.
    matted border9.JPG

14) Deselect… your background for your page should look like this:

matted border10.JPG
    15) Now decorate as you wish.

[​IMG]

[Note: When I made this page (using the Unscripted Sept. BYOC Bundle by PRD), I started with PRD’s template. I started at the background layer and did the steps above. ]

bellbird, marijke and Ferdy like this.
  3. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

@cfile you are really a good teacher!! I didn't want to give you all this trouble, with the screen shots and all, but it's so well explained, I'll bookmark this post!!
    I'm making an album from our trips to print, and wanted to make this effect, and tried so many times with no success...you really saved my day!! :bk

cfile likes this.
  4. cfile

Ferdy, do it once with different colors.. like a dark gray, then the white, then a dark shade and then the line and add your shadows and then save it as a psd .. this way you will have it as a "template" and then you won't have to do it seperately on every page.. you can speed up your process.. also save the inner shadow once you make it as a style so you won't have to redo each time. .. If you still have issues, let me know and I will make you a template for it :) Hugs

Ferdy likes this.
  5. Ferdy

@cfile you are a rockstar!! =)

cfile likes this.
  6. cfile

Did you need it as a template?

7. Ferdy

I can make it, Christa! go enjoy your bday!:heartlub thank you so much!! :yourock

cfile likes this.
  8. cfile

Thanks.. hope to see you at 1PM EDT :)

Ferdy likes this.
  9. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Thanks for sharing Christa and indeed you're a perfect teacher ...

cfile likes this.
  10. cfile

Thank you Marijke!

marijke likes this.
  11. Ferdy

just to let you know, I already played and saved my template...maybe I will need to make my border smaller, but it worked perfectly!! thank you so much for the tut!!

cfile likes this.
  12. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

Oh Christa! I make borders for my pages all the time but I never thought to make my own template for them - duh!! Thank you!!

cfile likes this.
  13. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

What a great tutorial. This is an amazing look. Thank you, Christa!

cfile likes this.
  14. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

15. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar