Top Sheet | Pad Patter 2.17

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Feb 17, 2019.

1. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

@Nemla Living in a hot country - we just have summer and winter weight duvets.
    I don't know anyone that uses blankets instead of duvets, only as an additional layer over the duvet come the cold of winter, as our homes don't have central heating.

IntenseMagic, Nemla and bestcee like this.
  2. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

I always used a top sheet for years, although I didn't pin them to the blanket the way my mom did (which keeps them together.) Then I discovered that IKEA sells duvet covers and I've switched nearly everybody to those.

I do have one for everyone, but my oldest son wanted a lighter quilt for his bed and it's cheap and thin enough that I just wash it with his sheets. His younger brother flips between a thin quilt -- no sheet or cover -- and a comforter with cover. The rest of us have comforters with duvet covers. (I guess they are duvets inside duvet covers, but I keep thinking of them as custom comforters. LOL)

I miss the top sheet; I should ask my husband what he thinks, since the puppy chewed a small hole in our duvet cover and I should probably think about replacing it. Maybe he'd prefer the top sheet too?

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. carrie1977

carrie1977 Tequila and Taco Tuesday

Man...never realized there was so much passion over a top sheet. :giggle

We have one but only because we just bought new sheets and there was one in the package. I don't think either of us actually cares if we have one or not. It usually ends up stuffed at the end of the bed every night so I don't know that it actually does anything other than frustrate me when it's time to make the bed.

Neither of my kids use one. They both hate them so I don't even bother.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Hubby and I have always used a top sheet. Otherwise my blankets would need washing more often and I hate washing all our blankets. Lol. My oldest son kicks his top sheet to the bottom of the bed instantly. sigh. But, my 12 year old uses his every night.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

I think this is why I don't use it! It just seems like more work having it on the beds!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

This is me... though we use washable down comforter and duvet cover from IKEA - all washable. Toss it all in. Kids are same.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

One more thought from me:

Every EVERY hotel or motel, from the cheapest to the most luxurious, makes the bed with a top sheet. Why would my standard be any lower than Motel 6’s or The Drake? ??????????

norton94, IntenseMagic and bonnenuit like this.
  8. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Hotels use them so they don't have to launder the comforter/duvets on a daily basis :)

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. jk703

That actually skeeves me out. I understand, but never thought about it.

IntenseMagic and SeattleSheri like this.
  10. SharLamb

SharLamb I should have been a Supreme

Exactly. Which should tell us something.

I rest my case.

11. Heidi Nicole

Heidi Nicole Well-Known Member

My hubs and I HAVE to have a top sheet... but my kids... (insert exasperation) Their top sheet always ends up on the floor at the foot of the bed. As a kid I didn't use one, but as an adult, I can't imagine a world without... lol

IntenseMagic and SharLamb like this.
  12. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I totally do not use a top sheet as I never, ever, ever sleep with only a top sheet on. I have to sleep with the blanket all the way to my chin. If I get hot, I stick a foot (or two) out but I never take the blanket down from my chin.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  13. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Yea, I always wonder about it when I stay at hotels. I try my best not to sleep with the bedspread touching me, lol.

I'm on team top sheet! ... but I do feel less worried about the cleanliness of the linens in my own house vs. with random hotel guests :)

IntenseMagic, jk703 and SharLamb like this.
  14. jk703

I want to be comfortable in my home, so I opt to wash it all. I feel constricted with a top sheet. To each his own, and that is the beautiful thing.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  15. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I use blankets as a cover over my comforter in the winter. I don't live where it's warm in winter, but I don't have heat in my bedroom. I like to sleep in a cold room :)

I've never heard about pinning it to the blanket...interesting!

Hahaha I never realized the passion either, so funny!! Yep, that's why I gave up on DS's bed, but with my own I continue to deal with the frustration because of my love of the top sheet :)

Same. I hate washing all the blankets!

I have to have it as well.

I have the covers all the way up to my chin as well. Most of the time it's the comforter and sheet, and I stick a foot out as well. But I have gone to only a sheet at times when the night sweats set in...Man, those are the worst and I've been glad to have a top sheet then!

Karen likes this.
  16. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

It's one of those things that I think everybody does, and then am surprised to find out no one does. LOL My mom would fold over the top sheet at the top of the blanket, and then pin it all together with diaper pins. (Mine were ducks!)

When I started my own house, I had a hard time finding diaper pins that would stay closed. I got tired of them popping open, so I quit using them.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  17. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Hubby and I use a top sheet on our bed. Actually, two top sheets. We have a split king adjustable bed, which is basically two XL twin beds side-by-side. So we each have a fitted sheet and a top sheet. I rarely sleep with more than a sheet. Often I am only partially covered by the sheet or not at all.

Daughter has a top sheet. Son has no top sheet. We agreed to no top sheet so it would be easier for him to make his bed. He has a thin quilt that's easy to wash, and I just pop it in with his fitted sheet and pillowcase.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  18. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

We are a top sheet family -- but we almost never make our beds - gasp! Okay, if we have company coming over and there is a chance they might see my bed, then yes I make it. Hubby is part of the air out the bed group so he flings all the sheets and comforter over the end of the bed every morning to air things out.

And my sheets must be perfectly tight and smooth - and the top sheet must fold over the top of the comforter so it does not touch my chin when I have them pulled up. And yes, I crank that A/C way down at night in the summer (and very cold in in the winter) so I can sleep with the comforter year around.

Kids are on their own - although I do wash DS sheets since he is only home from college on weekends. He is really in the pulled up, tight, smooth sheets and comforter group. He just sort of slides in between the perfectly made up bed and sleeps like that. DD is a pile of sheets, comforter, and large stuffed animals, but she does use a top sheet.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  19. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

This is so me!! If my bed doesn't get made in the morning (which it seldom does because DH is still in it when I leave for work), I will straighten and tuck it all before I get in it at night, fold that top sheet slightly over the comforter, and slide in...then smooth it on top of me. :)

BevG likes this.