Thyriod issues?

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by dotcomkari, Jan 23, 2014.

1. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

Anyone else have Thyriod issues? mine recently failed.. :( and with that I gained nearly 30lbs. I was small to start with, but I feel really fluffy now! the doctor said I would drop the weight... but I am having issues.. anyone else experience this?

2. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

Mine did the same thing after my youngest daughter was born. It was a very long road to get the right balance of meds and diet to feel well. If you're on Synthroid, take a look at some of the NDT thyroid meds out there. Also, if you don't know, find out if yours is Hashi's (it is for 90% of women who have thyroid issues). Many people require a change to a gluten free diet to feel better and/or lose weight.

3. dotcomkari

laura thank you! :) I will look into it.. we already eat a lot of gluten free items due to my sons special diet for Autism.. but I love my pasta!! *L*..thank you agian

4. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

You're welcome! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. :)

Also, on the GF front, Barilla makes an awesome pasta. You almost can't taste the difference.

5. dotcomkari

I may PM you! in the future and thanks.. I will look into their gluten free pasta! ;)

6. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Sadly... I find my weight a challenge with my thyroid disease. I gained 15 lbs in the blink of an eye when I eased up on my workouts. I have to watch my carbs and calories while making sure I exercise as much as I can. I just can't get rid of the weight right now but I can't stop trying because I'd be as big as a house. It's definitely harder to lose now.

7. Peppermint

Peppermint One Little Bird

I've had a lazy thyroid since my early 30s, but I'm also pre-diabetic and whenever I manage my blood sugar consistently my thyroid levels fall within normal range again so I'm fairly sure at this point that my thyroid is just secondary to the blood sugar. And to keep my blood sugar under control I eat healthier - which is also beneficial for weight loss, so it's a great big cycle. If I get lazy about my blood sugar, my weight rises disproportionately and my thyroid levels drop again.

8. dotcomkari

Peppermint.. I did not know you were in Wisconsin too.. *L* seems like there are A LOT of people from the happy cheese state.. :P

and I have never had an issue with my sugar levels.. except when I was pregnant.. but I DO eat a LOT of sugar.. *L* (I have the worst sweet tooth like ever).. but maybe I will try to cut a little out .. to see if it helps with my levels? Odd how sometimes it seems like two things are connected..bodies are crazy in that way

9. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

after the big hysterectomy, my thyroid went a bit berserk! Almost 50 pounds gain and sluggishness that couldn't be explain. I did synthroid for 2 years, and my energy was up, but now weight stayed, sadly. Due to insurance insanity, I had to stop the pills and I prayed like a mad woman! lol I began walking, then low carb, more proteins and green food(oh green green green). About 90 pounds came off, went back to dr. and thyroid is healed! wootie woo and my thighs no longer rub together! WIN WIN

10. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Love hearing how well you did Anne. I am trying to eat as healthy as I can, keep it low-ish carb and lots more veggies and some fruit. I eat very little sugar. Right now I'm doing a 30 day challenge of ab/core strengthening. Today is day 3 and I'm slightly sore....I'll probably be lying on the floor passed out by the end of the month (each day the exercises increase) LOL

11. dotcomkari

mmm Anne, I had a hysterectomy a couple of years ago, never thought it may be related to my thyroid issues.. mmm

12. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Eat sweet potatoes to count as GOOD carbs. You still need carbs to burn for every day activities and even more if you are exercising. Good luck. I am in day 40 (I think) of my no carbs, no grains, do dairy, no legumes regimen. I am also doing Crossfit and I feel my butt kicked 3 times a week. LOL!!!!

13. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

My thyroid was low and they put me on Levothyroxine. My doctor said it should help me drop those few pounds, but I don't see them coming off. I love to eat, so it's EXTRA hard! I've gotten lax on working out b/c I had double knee arthroscopic surgery back in December so I'm kind of scared to do any kind of hard impact... so I just speed walk, ride my bike, use my elliptical... I really miss running, it's when I felt my skinniest. But, not going to do that to my body anymore.

14. kaphelps

kaphelps CT - OLB

Uggg. thyroid issues suck. I too am on meds for Hashimoto's disease & after turning 50 am now bumping the pre-diabetes category, which I understand is fairly common. The meds did nothing for me to drop the lbs- I battle with that but do notice I feel better without the carbs and eating tons of fruits/veggies. All my numbers are better when my weight is down... You might want to make sure your doctor is checking both your T3 & T4 levels. I am on an extra med that helps the Synthroid work better- PM me if you want more info. It can take awhile to get the dosages just right- hang in there!

Anne - 90lbs!!! Wow that is impressive - exactly what kind of green food was that? Congrats!

15. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

OMG Dalis....is there anything left you can eat? LOL
    Brandi - knee surgery...sounds painful...hope you've healed well.
    Kerri Anne - my Synthroid dose seems to be at the right level now and it did take awhile of back and forth. It's been much more stable since going on a lower carb diet and exercising more. It's just frustrating to have to work so hard to lose. But...could be worse so not really complaining (much) LOL.

16. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

so much spinach, I should be popeye! lol I guess you can use Kale too, but I never did! We do eggs or atkins bar breakfast, pickles or carrots for snacks (and I eat fruit, I don't care about carb count on them)! A green smoothie shake for lunch with chia seeds and flax!
    grilled chicken, steak, tuna and salmon are regular dinners.
    They have these low low carb tortillas that we use to wrap things
    cabbage! oh the cabbage I eat, stir fried with shrimp, chicken and mixed vegis!

coleslaw with splenda is a great one too

Green is GOOD! lol
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  17. kaphelps

kaphelps CT - OLB

Thanks for sharing your secrets Anne- that all sounds actually really good- that's the thing, I really do love healthy food too! Your transformation is truly impressive - as is your layout with the reflections & your beautiful bright, healthy smile- off to make a green smoothie for breakfast ;>)

Rae- good to hear your numbers are stable. Mine were good for about 4 years and now they seem to be going a bit wonky... I think it is probably all the hormones in my body at this point. Things could be way worse, so also try not to complain (too) much.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  18. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Wow Anne....so inspiring! I too am not worried about fruit carbs as long as I don't eat tons of it. I'll look for the low carb wrappers.

19. Brandi

Brandi You're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

Wow Anne! Congrats you look fantastic!

20. Heather Prins

Heather Prins Heather Prins

Ugh i hate thyroid issues. I work out and eat well but my weight stays the same. sigh.