The Underground Railroad

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by AJK, May 16, 2021.

1. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

[​IMG]
    Is anyone watching?? We are, as this topic is near to our hearts. We were tour guides of the Levi Coffin House- a stopping house on the RR in S.central Indiana. There was a hidden well,
    [​IMG]
    a wagon with hidden compartment for transporting people,
    [​IMG]
    and a secret room in the dormer bedroom.
    [​IMG]
    One of the elders in our church had a secret door in a parlor floor that led to a cellar for hiding.
    It was a fascinating way to learn a small part of history.
    This series is INteNSE! There are parts that I wonder how much license was taken, but the point of the reality of struggle is driven home, nevertheless. I remember watching Roots when I was young, this is kinda like that on the intensity scale.

2. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I don’t have Prime, but growing up a house near mine had a hide-hole in the staircase. The step “top” pulled out and the hole underneath had room to hide someone. The owners at the time said they thought the house was a stop on the underground RR.

The house has since been torn down.

AJK likes this.
  3. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

It is on our list to see.

4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Oh! The Levi House is on my summer day trip destinations! Any tips?

I don't have Prime, but maybe I can borrow my mom's to watch. I've always been fascinated with the Underground Railroad. I remember writing a paper on Harriet Tubman in high school. And doing a project on it in elementary. I've always wondered if I would have been brave enough to be a safe house.

5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

We haven't watched, but it's next on our list.

6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I had not seen this yet, but will definitely add it to the list. That's awesome that you were able to be tour guides.

7. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

That's cool! It has been a VERY long time since we were there. We pastored a church whose building is now probably 100+ years old! No real tips, as the tour is not complicated. Back in the day, we had set time we were open. You may want to check on that here. :-) OH, the website lists times, but I would still ask cos of the past year, lol. (765)847-1691
    @michelepixels if this is anywhere near your route it is worth it!

bestcee and michelepixels like this.
  8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

We have Prime, we just don't have "real tv" but we're supposed to have it in the next few weeks. We've missed out on so many shows, because we only have Netflix and Hulu right now and only have that because we bought Roku. It shows Prime on the lineup, but we can't access it.

That's so amazing that you were tour guides, Amanda @AJK - I'm sure it IS near and dear to your hearts!

9. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

It is on my list, but we need to get through Designated Survivor first.

A good fiction book to read about this is The Runaway Quilt, part of the Elm Creek Quilters series by Jennifer Chiaverini.

AJK likes this.
  10. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I'm not much of a tv person, but this is one of the series I might watch anyway. If I do, it will be over the summer when school (work) is out.

11. bestcee

I have a Roku. You should be able to log into your Prime account, if you have one, and then Roku will be able to access it.

We have a love-hate relationship with Amazon, so while it's been hooked up through the Roku before, it's not currently because we cancelled Prime.

AJK and Cherylndesigns like this.
  12. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

We were diehard fans of Designated Survior, cos we loved Kiefer Sutherland in the series 24!

QuiltyMom likes this.
  13. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Yes, one would think. I haven't been able to log in since we lost "real tv". Honestly, I've been so overwhelmed with how difficult everything has been (concerning no wifi) that I haven't had the energy to go to the help section of amazon to find out why. I'm starting to have a love-hate relationship with them myself and would love to cancel prime. We don't have access to much living in "the middle of nowhere" so we're stuck with it if we want anything w/o driving an hour one way then they may or may not have what we need. They "say they do", then we get there and they don't. It's just too easy to order from prime and as much as we order, it helps to not have to pay the ridiculous shipping costs that some companies want. Sorry for the "mini rant". :carryon

bestcee likes this.
  14. bestcee

@Cherylndesigns If you need help, when you have the bandwidth to work on it, hit me up! I'll try to help you out!