SuperMoon on 6/23

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by vixen, Jun 22, 2013.

1. vixen

vixen Pink Parrot Head

On June 23, the moon will be at its closest distance to Earth for 2013 while in its full phase. As a result, it will appear 8 percent larger and 17 percent brighter than usual—an event widely known as a supermoon.
    This supermoon will be coming on the heels of the June solstice, which takes place only two days before.

For photo hounds, the most picturesque moments will occur twice: first, in the minutes after local sunset on Saturday, and then before sunrise on Sunday morning as the full moon rises or sets at the local horizon.
    Shoot from a mountainside, hillside, or a roof so that the horizon will be pleasing. With a little planning, a distant landmark can add to the scene, possibly silhouetted by the moon. In order to make the moon large enough to look interesting, you can use a telephoto lens ranging between 100mm and 2000mm, depending on how you want the picture to look. By choosing a foreground carefully, the composition can be interesting for a wide choice of lenses. (courtesy, National Geographic)

[​IMG]

I'm going to get my telescope out, will you be moon-gazing?

2. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

we are in prime country for night watching and plan on poppin the ol' camera out for a shot or two!

3. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

oh man I saw the moon over the sea last night when I went to visit my Mum in hospital! I looked GORGEOUS and I am really looking forward to seeing it tonight at it best! Its a pity we live in a capital city as I am sure it would look amazing in the country without all the lights spoiling the brilliance.........its still going to be great though!

4. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

It was so darn cloudy. We are totally disappointed here in the house.

5. vixen

vixen Pink Parrot Head

am in the Country too, Anne, so the view should be spectacular,
    but they are calling for evening thunderstorms, am crossing my fingers tho

am glad you got to see it, Amanda, drag hubs out of town tomorrow night for a better view :yup

hopefully, you won't have cloud-cover tomorrow night, Dalis :thumbsups

6. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

I managed to see it tonight Deb in between cloud cover and it was gorgeous ... its times like this that i wish I had a super special swanky camera!

7. vixen

vixen Pink Parrot Head

christmas wish list gf, put a post-it on the fridge today,
    so hubs can save from now til december *wink*

8. mirjam

mirjam mirjam

I totally forgot! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! Maybe I will think of it today and have a little smaller moon shot!

9. tuttle

tuttle New Member

We missed it - so cloudy & stormy last night. :( It's supposed to be the same tonight as well. bummer!

10. vixen

vixen Pink Parrot Head

oh Mirjam, definitely have a look again tonight :thumbsups
    the weather forecast isn't cooperating here either, Heather, :tantrum
    but I've gotten my telescope out in the hopes that I can see it early, as it rises

11. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I want to try for a shot tonight but am afraid that the cloud cover is going to be too dense. Fingers crossed. I've never tried for a moon shot before.

12. asouthernladysramblings

asouthernladysramblings New Member

13. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

It's raining today.... seriously?!?!?! uffff.....

14. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I was able to take a few pictures, but after it was already up in the sky a bit. It rises on the wrong coast for the picture I'd really love... coming up over Lake Michigan. I could have of course gotten it setting over the lake, but I was still sleeping... zzzzzzzzzzzz! :)

15. Tronesia

Tronesia Tronesia

I had almost forgot about this after I wrote down the time. I ended up getting a few photos around 11pm Saturday night..right before the clouds covered it. I thought about getting up early too, but I already knew that was not happening!

16. grrfluudy

grrfluudy This? Oh it's just my million dollar pen.

I didn't hear about this until the day after. :( I would have loved to have been able to see it.

17. MrsPeel

MrsPeel LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

ohh I fogot about this...but I guess I wouldn't be able to see it as the weather here is so miserable (no surprise there)