Sugar has Left the Building|Pad Patter june 5

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by AnneofAlamo, Jun 5, 2019.

1. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

[​IMG]
    We got a new doctor, and he went total physical, blood work and everything. My boys are on the heavy side and he was concerned. He was correct. Both are right on the brink of blood sugar levels of prediabetes.
    They have always been active, but lately just lay in room reading or listening to books. So mom has taken all sugary cereal, snacks out of the house!
    The doctor also recommended doing away with milk. I am already an almond mild user, so the boys will use that for any oatmeal or cereal.

Water, water and more water!
    [​IMG]
    They are tasked to help themselves.
    I am the fun mom, and hate being the meanie, but meanie I will be for their health!

Anyone out there drastically cutting sugar or anything out of their life?

2. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I did cut almost all sugar out of my diet, but lately, with the stress of moving - it's creeping back in. I'm pre-pre-diabetic and even that scared me, so I was doing really well until lately. Thanks for posting this, Anne! You struck a nerve with me - I have to cut it back out. My dad was diabetic, but wasn't on insulin. He controlled his strictly through his diet. One of my uncles was insulin-dependent, so it runs on my dad's side. It's hard to cut out sugar in this house when DH, DD and GS sit and eat ice cream every night and they all love candy and cookies - especially chocolate. Our pantry has about 6 different kinds of cookies in it at all times. Talk about needing will power!:crazy3

3. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Now I want a cookie.

4. AnneofAlamo

AnneofAlamo Slippers IN sunshine? Even better!

bhahha oh Kat you made me snort hard!

I just went to the trash can with a box of cereal, cookies and such to the dumpster!

Cherylndesigns and Kat like this.
  5. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

:giggle:giggle:giggle

6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Good luck with the sugar ban, Anne!

7. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I cut out refined sugar a few yrs ago and don't miss it. It amazes me that I don't crave the sugary desserts like donuts, carrot cake, etc....all the things I used to love. I make a few desserts with stevia, xylitol, honey and maple syrup that keep me happy and even those I don't eat them often b/c I just don't think about it. I love eating low carb.

The weight fell off, the blood work returned to normal and I feel so much better. Yesterday I had my BP checked and my doctor said I have the pressure of a school girl :) It was 115/65.

Giving up sugar was the best thing I ever did for my health.

julianz likes this.
  8. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Well I have a daughter who bakes and wants to own her own bakery some day, so it is hard. Although, I will admit that I much prefer cookies over any other dessert so that makes it a bit easier.

I did give up all chips for many many years (I got hooked again this past year).

9. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I get it...my blood sugar levels rose in the months before Dick was diagnosed with cancer. (Jan-April) and even now it's hard to resist. I use stevia in most drinks but have read too many places that the diet sweetness fool the body into thinking it's sugar and the effect is the same. I do no want to think about that...:badmood

But this subject always makes me think of the old days ...when a person would say her mother or her father 'has sugar'. Anyone remember that?

10. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I don't remember that, but people often say, "give me some sugar" and mean a kiss.

bestcee likes this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Not here! In fact, I think I may need to go bake cookies to make up for all of you giving it up!

I did have the horrible experience recently of a fake sweetener, and ugh! Those make me throw up. So, I focus on limiting the amount of sugary things we eat instead.

And I'm pretty sure I have one of the only kids who wants eggs for breakfast not cereal. I'm teaching him how to cook those this summer!

12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Sugar is by far my biggest weakness and always has been and of course I really need to be careful because diabetes runs in BOTH sides of my family. Sigh. So yes Maureen @cookingmylife I've definitely heard the phrase "she has the sugar" a lot.

Last year I lost 30 pounds and basically quit eating sweets. After the first few weeks or a month, I didn't even want it anymore, but then when I got to my goal, I started having a little sugar here and there and now I'm back to addicted again. I do NOT want to gain that weight back, so I really need to go back to cutting it out!

Good for you Anne for being the meanie for your boys! :)

13. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I love sugar, I admit it. I try to be healthy, and if anything try to be more balanced. With my boys, we've gotten into switching and serving sizes. They seem to be always hungry. So, they can have small snacks - like a cookie or something, but then if they are still hungry they have to have something better for them - fruit, apple sauce, nuts, eggs or the like. So far, so good, but they are young still. It doesn't always work, but it's a process.

14. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I love anything carbs , sugary or salty but my body doesn’t. Need to cut them out once and for all I think and get back to more clean eating

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  15. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I was on a very low sugar diet for my entire childhood. Once I got out on my own, the pendulum swung the other way. I wish I was better at controlling my cravings. I know everyone says that when you're wean yourself off of it, when you do eat sugary things they are almost overwhelmingly sweet.

16. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

DH is insulin dependent. We both do our best to eat keto, so sugar and high carbs are not allowed. My fav alternative go-to sweetner currently is allulose. It tastes amazing. I found out about it from a former co-worker who loves to bake keto. The documentation on it says that it has 90% fewer calories than sugar and it doesn't raise blood sugar or insulin levels. It is also not recognized by the body as a carb. The only drawback I've found to allulose (aside from the cost) is that I find it will brown items quicker, so I keep that in mind.

Cherylndesigns likes this.