Speaking of audio books...Playaway

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by cookingmylife, May 29, 2018.

1. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

My first foray, I think, into audio books was with one on "Playaway". I really liked this format as I've tried listening to library books on CDs but invariably there was a scratch or some issue with one of the discs. Apparently our county? state? library system is going to this format. I liked the user interface a lot and just carried it in my pocket while I went from one floor of the house to another.

I have the new Kristin Hannah book on hold this way but as there are only 6 copies ordered, I'm wondering how long that will take.

Anyone familiar with this 'deck of card' sized format?

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm not familiar with this, but it sounds intriguing. I think our library had something like this at one point awhile ago where the book was pre-loaded on a player and you checked the whole thing out. Is that like what you're talking about?

I frequently get audiobooks from my library as well, but I don't often do the CDs anymore because they have digital versions that you can check out and download onto your computer, your phone or your MP3 player. I love that!

3. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

Well the whole book is on a cassette that is the size of the deck of cards. You listen through headsets. Our library does not provide headsets nor the one little AAA battery. It seems if you buy directly from 'Playaway" itself the books are about $49-$79 each.

I'll have to check and see if our library does the direct download also! I almost always have my phone with me. thanks Karen.

Karen likes this.
  4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm all about finding the best way to get more books in my hands for free! I hope your library does have them too!

5. KarenW

KarenW Send in the Clowns

I loved it when our library started to switch over to the Playaway format - so much more convinient than Cd's although not so good for car travel. Only problem was that they are smaller and I lost one during a house move :blush and had to pay a hefty fine, sigh.

6. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

I noticed the playaway aisle at the library a visit or two ago. I havent tried them. But my library offers access to 2 or 3 apps with audiobooks, so I've been listening to many books through the apps. The ones I have are OverDrive, Hoopla, and RB Digital. I'm not sure what others may or may not be offered by your library, but if you have a smart phone, I find it the best resource. :beat

bestcee likes this.
  7. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I loved the Playaway books! Our current library doesn't do them.i think because they added so much to the digital audiobooks that play on your phone.

8. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

I love playaways! My problem is I like cozy mysteries and they only offer the newest releases of known authors. I start a series with regular books, then switch to play away when it is newer.

I have tried downloading our digital library app but the pages are off when I re-open my book. I have to use book marks to prevent this. They are trying to fix it.

Until then....I will just have to buy them for my kindle.

9. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Never heard of this!

[​IMG]

10. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

11. Amson

Amson Yoo-hoo!

Oops too late