Single or Double oven - pros & cons?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by QuiltyMom, Apr 24, 2019.

1. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

So, we just did a new oven purchase. Originally, we had one electric wall oven and a gas cooktop. We removed the gas cooktop, cut out a cabinet and the countertop, and installed a 36" slide in range. I am IN.LOVE. It's amazing having two ovens for the times I need to cook two different things at different temps. And it was amazing at Thanksgiving.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  2. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

We don't have much counter space at all. It's a townhouse kitchen. Relatively small, but not the smallest I've ever used. But since it would be splitting one oven into two two smaller ones it wouldn't be taking up any more space at all.

Part of me wants to skip the whole process and do with what we have. Finding a reliable contractor has been a nightmare so far.

Tree City likes this.
  3. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Yep, I have thought about that as well. I hopefully won't be here too many more years, so selling is a factor.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  4. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I've had both and there are pluses and minuses to both. The biggest problem that I ran into was the interior size of the ovens. The double ovens were a smaller width. My current regular oven is also convection and the fan in the back limits the depth of the interior. I'd measure your favorite large pan and use that when looking.

QuiltyMom and cfile like this.
  5. jenn mccabe

jenn mccabe She's OUR sunshine!

Yup! This!

I bought nice pizza stones and they don't fit in the double wall oven bc of the convection fan. I love having two ovens for the space/and the cooking separate dishes at separate temps thing. But the depth of the convection ovens is an issue. sounds like yours wouldn't be a wall/convection oven but I'd just pay attention to the interior size and make sure it can hold the pans/dishes for the types of cooking you would be doing. Overall I do love my convection oven for how fast it can cook and I do love having two ovens. I'd go with that option again if I had to choose.

QuiltyMom likes this.
  6. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Be sure to measure both ways. I bought my dd a 24 cupcake pan and it was just a mere 1/2" too wide and would not fit into the oven unless it was tilted which won't work. I would take your favorite pan (cookie sheet) to the store with you and try it.

jenn mccabe likes this.
  7. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I never thought of this! I'll have to measure my largest pan and bring a tape measure with me when looking at ovens. Thanks for the tip!

8. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I have a 5 burner gas cooktop and one wall electric oven. Prior to our renovation I did almost no baking that couldn't fit into my good toaster oven. However, we started off with an Advantium micro/convection oven during the renovation, and found that it wasn't something we used to justify the price again.

But I did find out later that my wall oven was not big enough for a lot of things as many have said. That being said, my days of baking didn't last long as we got fatter by each dessert! But I think if I did it again, I too would have a drop in range rather than two different appliances, but still go with the dual fuel models. btw, my son and dil had a full sized range with that smaller oven on the one side. When they had all three children at home they used it a lot but without the chicks, it was only used on holiday dinners.

9. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

We have a double oven and we use the second once a year for thanksgiving. Otherwise we store all our bakeware in it.