Scared Awake?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bbymks5, Feb 21, 2018.

1. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

What a way to be woken up!!!! My heart would have been pounding for sure! We don't have a lot of crime in our cul-de-sac and all the neighbors keep an eye on things for each other. My neighbor called the police last month when he saw someone he didn't recognize struggling to open the back porch door of the home beside them. The home was up for sale and we knew that the tennants weren't staying there for a few days before everything got moved out. So luckily the police were able to chase the guy away and nothing was stolen. But the door jam and lock were damaged so the robber was probably just seconds or minutes away from getting in and ransacking that family's stuff.

I am always terrified of late night knocks on the door or the phone ringing late b/c usually it isn't anything good, its almost alway bad news.

cfile likes this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

oh my no.. we have woken up with the alarm going off... it just happened that there was a wind tunnel in our garage and the door to the inside of the house wasn't closed all the way. The alarm was on and then the wind blew the door, and well the alarm went off and hubby and I ran.. He was going to hit someone over the head! LOL My heart was pumping a mile a minute.

Oh there was one time when he was stationed in Atlanta. we were in an apartment complex on the second floor. On my way home from work (we lived by the airport) there was on the news that a criminal or 2 had killed someone at the hotel near the complex we lived in... there were police barracades and the perps were on the loose. We locked all the doors, and then after dinner hubby went to bed early as he went to work at 4 am. So here I am at 8pm and I am sitting in the living room and there is a knock on the door... I freaked out as no one ever knocked or came by and the peep hole in the door was too high for me to see out of. I would not open the door. So I start peeking out the window and noticed my headlights were on, on my car. The neighbor across the hall had knocked to let me know. I was so scared as the criminal was still on the loose. I then went out quick, turned off the lights and ran back in the apartment. I then went into the bedroom and told my husband.. he said do you really think the criminals would come and walk up to the second floor and knock on the door?? We laughed but it was scary!

3. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

We got an alarm system when we moved here in 1999. I did not know the area or anyone, and he was going away on business trips alot and sometimes to Europe. This one time he was going to Italy and Spain and that was when we had the alarm system added before he left. It was a good thing too as I set the alarm and went to work. When I came home from work, my garage door was open. I was so scared to go in the house as he was on a business trip. The guy next door was in the Navy and was home in the front yard and I asked him to come in the house with me as my garage door was closed when I went to work. As soon as I opened the door, the alarm went off, so i knew all was ok.. I think the garage door opener was on the same frequency as the neighbor. When my husband came home we changed the garage door openers code.

4. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

Oh no, pitter patter would of been my heart!

30 years ago when we were first married there was a rape in the apartment complex we lived in, my hubby ended up putting boards in the tracks of the window and doorwall. Our front door he put a board between the middle of the door and the wall, he was a firefighter and knows how easy it is to knock down the door.
    Turns out they ended up arresting the guy who lived across the hallway from us!! Never felt safe in that apartment after that.

5. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

OMG! So when i read this bit i thought you were going to say you got pranked awake by some bored/trashed/both teenagers, not the actual police! All we have generally is neighbourhood cats fighting (outside our bedroom window because we're one of the only 'no cats live here' houses i guess - they come here to rumble then leave (sometimes covered in water, sometimes DH has thrown a slipslop shoe/thong in their general direction) but no, nothing like that Timmi. (I did have a dream last night that DH took my coffee pod machine off the bench - i haven't had coffee in a month but i'm not ready to take that step yet, that scares me) Glad you are all alright!

6. shastahun

shastahun Active Member

I haven't been scared awake, but I have been relaxing in a tub taking a nice bubble bath and had someone come trying to kick the door down (we lived in an apartment). Scared the heck out of me and after a couple tries the guy left but then came back a minute later and started taking my window screen out so he could climb through the window. I was on the phone with 911 dispatcher when he got in and I started screaming at him.

Long story short, he was on Ambien and had a few drinks to try to go to sleep. Instead, he was running around trying to break into people's apartments with barely any clothes on (his pants were basically falling off him). The cops found him in his apartment (just a few down from mine) with all the windows open, butt naked, burning a grilled cheese sandwich. I pressed charges on him and he spent the night in jail. His wife tried apologizing to me a couple times but I had the feeling she was doing it mostly so I would drop the charges (he was having a hard time sleeping apparently and was newly prescribed Ambien). I was so happy when we moved out of that apartment complex, and out of the state.