Questions for RUNNERS!

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by AmberR, Apr 18, 2013.

1. AmberR

AmberR Take that naysayers! Pink is my color.

Hi all, I'm playing with the idea of signing up for a half-marathon, because I saw Rachel's post this morning and found out that they do one in October in Munich! The idea scares the BLANK out of me...so I'm still not 100% sure.

My little town is doing a Fall-Run on September 13th. They offer a 5k and a 10k. This is the question: If I were to do a 10K on September 13th, would I be able to do a half-marathon on October 13th? Or would my body still be recovering? Would it just be too much in too short a time?

It's unfortunate that everything is offered in the fall, though I understand the reasons (weather), but it makes it hard to stagger so I could build up...

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Part of the training plan that my husband did for his half marathon had him working up to run the full 13 miles and he did a couple 10Ks leading up to his half marathon because his training schedule had him running that far anyway. I think it would fit into your training quite nicely. :) In fact one of the last 10ks he did was about two weeks before his half marathon and he ran to the race, ran the 10k and then ran home in order to get all his miles in for that day. :)

3. AmberR

:faint2

WOW. just WOW.

4. stampin_rachel

stampin_rachel The Lost Spice Girl

I agree, the 10K a month before is a great jumping point.

I have registered for a few 5Ks and 10Ks over the next several months as I train for the 1/2.

5. stampin_rachel

I had a running question for you ladies - -

What do you do when a dog runs after you?

I have had a few recent experiences where my heart almost completely stopped as I thought I would be attacked by some large dog. I thought about buying a tazer or some pepper spray to take with me on my runs, but then that is just one more thing you have to carry. Any suggestions?

6. AmberR

OMG, seriously?! I don't know WHAT I'd do. I don't think that would happen here, as dogs are never out alone, and are all ridiculously well-trained and would never run after you. though, if they DID, they'd get yelled at immediately.

7. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

Yes, a month is more than enough time to recover from a 10k race. You'll be 100% within a week. If you don't RACE the 10k, you'll be fine the next day even. Just work it into your training and have that be your "long run" for that week. I generally have people increase miles for 2 weeks and then one week back down. For example, last week my clients did 10, and the week before that 8. This week only 6. Then we'll do 10 and then 12.

As far as the dogs, it's only happened once. I stopped running to show them I wasn't a threat and they gave up on me.

8. AmberR

All right, thanks for your input! I'm open to all other suggestions, tips and help! I've been reading through the training websites that were listed on Rachel's thread, as well as the stuff on the Munich Marathon website, but that one seems to be more intimidating than helpful, as I don't know what chips or pacemakers are, or how to dress, or where to find shoes, or what doctor to go to for a check-up. ack. anyway. baby steps! baby steps! I'm going to register for the 10K now. :hide

9. Angie4b1g

Chips are just things that attach to either your bib or shoe that track your time when you cross the finish line.

Dress in moisture wicking materials (no cotton) that you've worn to train in (so you know there are no surprises). Dress as if the temperature were 20 degrees warmer than it is and you weren't running. So if it's 50° you'd wear what you'd wear if it were 70° on a normal day. So, I'd wear shorts and short sleeves.

Shoes should be purchased at a running specialty store only. You need experts in RUNNING to look at your feet and your gait to give you the perfect ones for you. I'd do that as soon as possible, to avoid injury.

Unless something is wrong, you probably don't need a doctor. Unless you just want clearance to run, which your general practitioner/family doctor can do.

10. nfenchak

nfenchak Where is my personal shopper?

You can do it!!! And you will be so proud of yourself. it's a tough tough thing, but worth it!!

Dogs - I have had this happen. I stop and hold my hand out palm down (slowly) so they can smell it.

shoes - I agree - specialty running store - they know what they are talking about.

Once I got over the 8 mile long run in my training - it became much easier. From a lot of people I've talked to - apparently the 8 mile mark for the 1/2 marathoners is a big one - it makes you or breaks you.

Use your training time to figure out what works and don't change it up w/in 2 weeks of the race - for instance if you don't rehydrate during the race w/ gaterade - DO NOT use it during the race - it will go right through you and you will poop yourself.

Walk running the race counts - some trainers will advise you to run 10 minutes walk 1 minute intervals to store your energy. I saw lots of people doing this for the race. I personally wasn't able to do this - it's hard to walk/run/walk/run - but I've been recently training myself to do this.

11. nfenchak

nfenchak Where is my personal shopper?

oh & my dog would totally run after someone and then try to herd them or smell their butt!!! Or trip them - like she did to me tonight!!

12. AmberR

I die! and this actually brings up my next question: do marathoners really just pee as they run? or are there stops along the way?

13. Angie4b1g

Not if they can help it. ;)

There will be porta potties on the course. I've never soiled myself during a race, although it has been close. I've seen it happen, though.

For half / full marathons, I walk through the water stops. Partly so that I can actually get the water IN me rather than down the front of me. And partly because it gives me 10 seconds to catch my breath and get my head back in the game. That way, I'm breaking the course down into 2 mile increments, because I'm just running to the next water stop. It helps me mentally. And it doesn't slow me down any since I'm only walking for 10 seconds every 2 miles and I easily make that up and more by having taken that break.

14. AmberR

Angie, thanks for all your insight, input and help. and OMG. I just finally 'got' your title. bwa ha ha! I've been wondering what that meant for ages now!

:duh

15. Angie4b1g

For the record, if I were ever in a position where I might WIN the race, I would definitely not be above peeing myself to make that a reality. But, I'm a very middle-of-the-pack runner and 2 minutes here or there doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things, so I stop. But only if there is no line. :)

16. emmasmom

emmasmom emmasmom

I run faster :giggle

It's happened to me once too...most of the dogs here are fenced or have an invisible fence but thankfully the one that did chase me was friendly and slow and I was able to out run it :)

17. Angie4b1g

18. emmasmom

emmasmom emmasmom

19. stampin_rachel

Angie, thanks for posting that link. Some great information to ponder.

20. Angie4b1g

I've only had it happen once in 4 years, and it was during Run Across Ohio when we were in the middle of NOWHERE. We were probably the first people to run by that house in the history of the universe. lol