PS -How to auto insert name of file in layer? Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by cookingmylife, Aug 18, 2020.

1. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I have a bad feeling this isn't possible or as auto easy as it is in PSE. I have been trying to get a handle on PSCC and one of the big sticking points came after I was almost done with a layout and suddenly noticed that none of the layers had the file name... :faint It was only a small pain to go back and find all but one of the files I used but darn...do I have to copy the file name and add it into the layer name as I go? to me that adds up to a lot of bits of time.

And to follow up, how do YOU bring a file into PSCC and have it already in a layer? I was looking at a way...File embedded and it named each file/layer background.

2. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I drag files in from File Explorer (Windows) and drop them on the canvas. With the way I have my preferences set up, they are placed as smart objects and every layer retains the name of the file. The smart object is not necessary for the file name part, it just happens to be my preference.

genpref.PNG

Since I tend to add multiple files at once, dragging in is my preference (as is the "skip transform" part), but you can also "Place Embedded" one at a time from the File menu.

wvsandy likes this.
  3. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

I do what @KimJ does and love how it names the layers. The only issue is with .PSD files. If you drop them directly onto your canvas they flatten and you can't adjust the layers. You want to open them in PS as a separate file, then select the different layers and drag them onto your canvas.

\I really wish that designers who create template/.PSD files would name the first layer the same as the file instead of "Background". This way I would remember what files I started with.

Tree City and KimJ like this.
  4. KimJ

Actually, if you are using smart objects and drop in a PSD (such as a layered frame) the layers are retained. From there you can double-click the thumbnail and it will open in a new window, you can make changes, close/save, and it will be updated in your document. OR you can right-click on the layer and choose "Convert to Layers" and it will put the layers in a folder with the file name. The only problem with the convert option is if there have been transformations applied to the smart object itself or the layers inside it, they will be lost upon conversion.

wvsandy likes this.
  5. keepscrappin

keepscrappin ScrapWithTheWind

In PSE I use file > place. I think it’s named something similar in PSCC.

cfile and A-M like this.
  6. cookingmylife

Ah...thanks @Kim It worked for me withe a paper file. I'll be trying a PSD later this week. I have a studio clean up project I need to do before I start on serious photo scanning in September.

ETA Ok I went and I found Place, File Embedded and File Linked. Anyone know the difference and what each is used for AND will it keep all the .psd layers.

I TRY to remember the first time I open a .psd file to rename background. While it only takes a few seconds, I'm often too much in a hurry to start creating what I see in my head.

7. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

This is what I do in my CS6 and used to do in my old PSE6.
    Now I have also discovered using Window Explorer I just drag the file in and the file name is there.

@cookingmylife Maureen, that is a good suggestion of yours for designers to include the template name in the background layer. Maybe you should start a thread to draw designers attention to this suggestion.

8. cookingmylife

Any Mac users have anything to add here?

9. KimJ

Embedding puts a copy of the file in your document. Linking does not copy, but instead accesses the linked file to read in the information. The main purpose of linking is if you are using a file in multiple documents and want any change you make in that file to be updated in all of the documents the file appears in. This would be more common in something like web design with multiple page layouts or logos being applied across multiple items. I can't think of an instance where this would be needed for digital scrapbooking.

Embedding will keep the layers of the embedded item only if you place as a smart object, otherwise you will get a flattened/merged version. Since linking leaves the original file as is, the layers remain unless you edit that file to flatten/merge it, but if you open it to edit from within your document, you are editing the original file... probably not what you want to do.

I hope that makes sense. :)

10. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I have always done the file > place Embedded always as a smart object