Proms and Dances | Pad Patter 5/19

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jk703, May 19, 2022.

1. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Oh boy... I'm in the thick of it! I am ready to hide. :giggle

[​IMG]

I'm running around like a chicken and texting like a fiend preparing for the 8th grade dinner/dance and graduation and then the Junior Prom. Oh it's crazy.

I gotta get new pants for my 8th grader... he grew a LOT since September.... (and I just remembered right now, I didn't have him try on his shoes (crud) which we bought a little bigger at the time, let's hope they fit?!). I just got word of where we get to take pictures at before the dance, so I'm excited about that... at least that part was easy! I know something else will pop up, especially with his birthday and graduation on the horizon.

And my junior is making me nutty. At least he looks good in his tux! :giggle Between a crazy promzilla friend he has (boys aren't allowed to use gel for pictures - what?!?!?!?) Crazy girl or her mother doesn't want all the parents over for before pictures. So, now I have to arrange for pictures in a nearby park before of my son and his date. If I would have known that, I would have invited everyone to my house for pre-prom. Oh, then I had forgotten to order the corsage... so got that done Monday, and ordered a Boutonniere as well, cause I have no clue if the date did. Then he tells me it's a Masquerade party, and they need masks.... what?! ok. Geez. Thank goodness for Amazon... my kid said "and don't forget mom, her dress is emerald green, try to get a green mask." Oh goodness....

And to top it off... now, his date's mother wants to me my hubby and I. The kids are just friends.... and she is going home after prom from what I know. So, really?!? Ok. Let's add more stress to this.

Oh boy.

Do you have any stories about prom? Dances? Crazy?
    Is this only me? I'm excited for him, but also excited for Saturday... the day after prom, lol!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

This year's prom went very smoothly and wasn't too stressful... except for my son telling me about 3 weeks before prom that he wanted a tux (after telling us up until that point that his suit would be fine). That was a little stressful because we didn't even have a free night to go get the tux and felt like we were way behind on that tasks once he told us. Boys! :giggle

Last year's prom was SUPER stressful though because my son was a junior and wanted to go, but then with Covid we didn't know if it was even happening or not. Then the school decided to do a prom on the football field outside and then we had to figure out how to do pictures without gathering too many kids at once. My son is painfully embarassed to talk to his parents in front of people, so I was really worried he wouldn't even tell me where pictures were going to be and I'd miss out, so I suggested that he could have his friends over to our house before prom. We live a block away from the school, so thankfully his friends were all about that and I got lots of pictures, but then they all wanted to come to our house after prom because the school wasn't doing anything for "after prom party" like they used to do. Then I was all stressed out about them staying up super late and having too many kids over and being a super-spreader event or something. Eeek! Darn Covid stuff. Then on top of that we had to go shopping for a suit because he grew out of his old one and he HATES shopping, but we ended up getting a nice deal on a suit at the first store we went to and it all worked out. And the kids all had a blast and especially enjoyed being together because of all the separation they had due to Covid before that, so it was great in the end. Phew!

Also... I totally forgot to get my son a boutonniere this year, but since he didn't have a date and went with a group it didn't seem to matter. There were other singles there that didn't have them, so he didn't stick out. But I totally get all the details that seem to creep up and make it stressful! Bonus is that you'll have great pictures to scrap after you survive it all! :D

3. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Daniel is not into all of that. AT ALL. I'm sad because I missed dances/proms for other reasons, and I think he might regret not experiencing it. We'll see if anything changes in this last year.

Shopping for Olivia's dresses for dances/prom was so fun. Prom was stressful because it rained like crazy, her hair went kaput, but I did manage to get some photos before prom. She didn't have a date, just went with a group of friends.

4. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

My youngest grandchild, Chase (16, high school junior) didn't want to go to prom this year. Apparently none of his friends were going. He says he'll go next year, but we'll see.

His older brother didn't go to prom as a junior either, but went as a senior. He invited one girl, she accepted, but then changed her mind, so Will went with another gal. One of the other moms set everything up ... pre-prom pictures at a local garden, rented a van for the 7 couples to travel in (driven by her 21 y.o. college kid), reservations at a restaurant which was great. Except Will was AWFUL about getting the info to me.

There was a misty rain falling during the photo session, but I got some nice photos, including this one that is probably my all time fav photo of Will ...

Will and Michella - GCM prom 2013.jpg
    [​IMG]

My granddaughter went with her boyfriend both years. We had fun choosing her dress and getting her hair done. Since it was just the two of them pre-prom photos were easy-peasy. We choose the same garden for photos, met up with her boyfriend and his parents and took a zillion photos. Then they hopped in his car and went out to dinner before going to the prom.

Gotta check those phones, lol!!!

Natasha and Alex - GCM Prom 2014.jpg

Woah, those photos are big!

Cherylndesigns and SeattleSheri like this.
  5. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

The prom here is for seniors only because our graduating classes are huge (500+). My son is going with a small group of friends, mostly females. He decided just to wear a suit, so that part was easy. I never even thought about a boutonniere, so I'll have to check with him tonight. I'm guessing he won't want one. He and his friends are meeting there. I tried to convince him to get together first for dinner and pictures, but he's not interested (or at least isn't interested in being the one to organize things). I'm just thankful he's actually going to prom! I'll take pictures of him, and he's already let me know that I'm only getting a few minutes in our yard. I'm still working on getting him to take some photos of his friends while he's at the dance. I don't think he has any photos of most of his friends, and I think he'll regret not having them when HS ends in a few weeks. (He's always been a homebody who rarely went out with his friends, but the pandemic changed that from "rarely" to "never." Because of that even I don't have any pictures of them together. I can't count on getting them at graduation either because there will be so many people and they may not have a chance to find each other afterward.)

This is exactly how my son is. He has never wanted to go to a dance or anything else. He's a senior this year, and I was shocked when he told us he wanted to go to the prom!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  6. jk703

Oh goodness! My head would spin! I actually was happy for the tux... so I didn't have to stress about a suit or shoes! It's a whirlwind! I wish they got a limo too! Now, I have to stress about whoever is driving... it's at a really nice place about 20 min away. And if I had to deal with Covid more than we have now... I'd have struggled even more!

Karen likes this.
  7. jk703

Yeah... the boys are easier with hair, lol! I always stress myself when rain and I'm all dressed up! eeeeek! I frizz and curl.

My youngest didn't want to do anything with younger dances, but hasn't put up a fight for this year, so I'm thrilled. There a good bunch of boys going, and I love all the boys and their parents. I had the same worry, but knowing his friends, I have hope!

gonewiththewind likes this.
  8. jk703

I love the pictures! So pretty and great colors! I wasn't pushing the junior prom, so I was thrilled he was going. I will push senior prom a smidge, if they have friends going too! By me, the kids go to the beach after the senior prom, junior is usually at a friends house locally. They eat at the prom, so we don't do dinner! I can't wait to get some pics of both the 8th grade dance and prom ones of my boys!

9. jk703

I'd be ecstatic that he is going! For awhile, my son retreated. I don't usually push, occasionally for bigger items. I was surprised I didn't have to at all this year. But the info sharing..... ugh... I was a little pushy with that! :giggle I'm so glad he is going and I hope he has a blast with his friends. Maybe one or two group pics will come your way! Maybe a chaperone you know can take a couple for you? Hoping so!

10. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

One of my nephew's good friends is living with him to finish out senior year as the friends' family recently moved out-of-state so both went to Prom recently. Both boys let my sister take photos of them dressed up at the house and then went their separate ways. My nephew has a brand-new girlfriend but didn't have her meet my sister & BIL; I think they went alone to Prom. My nephew's friend is a real character, and he went with a huge group of friends. He also ran a secret blackjack game under the bleachers where he won a watch, some amusement park passes, money, etc. :giggle

I don't see my oldest [C] attending any middle or high school dances. They don't like to dress up or dance or have attention drawn to themselves, and they would not want to wear a dress or go/dance with any boys. I will hope for the best for Prom but we'll just wait & see. My BF's oldest, M, is the same age, and I'm sure she will attend at least one Prom and do all the dressing up and photo-taking.

jk703 likes this.
  11. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping! I don't know any of the teachers (who I assume are the chaperones), but I'm holding out hope that some of his friends will want to take pictures and share them.

jk703 likes this.
  12. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I went through long seasons of prom years ago when my oldest were teens. I think there was about 5 or 6 years straight between the two of them. It's exhausting.
    We're gearing up for prom Saturday night. Chance is going with friends, no date, which has made it a lot easier. I'm actually really surprised he is going at all. It's just not his thing, but I guess his friends talked him into it. He's not doing a full tux. He is really into Hawaiian shirts these days, so we found a cool Hawaiian vest and bow tie on Etsy, got some black dress pants, white shirt, and Hawaiian socks. I think he's even planning to wear his Birkenstock sandals and a hat with a Hawaiian brim. The hardest part for me this year is the fact that it's all 45 minutes or so from home and he doesn't drive lol. I'll be taking him to meet them for dinner and pix at 5/6, then he's riding with them to the actual prom and from there to After Prom at 11. I just have to drive back and get him at 4am when it ends. Although he told me yesterday that he didn't know if he could "people" that long :giggle.

Memaw2Wm and jk703 like this.
  13. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Random thought, perhaps there will be an instagram hashtag that the kids will use? You might find photos that way?

Our town is small enough that the three high schools have Prom together. And our local paper took photos. But, photos are a BIG DEAL! The prom goers take over the downtown basically, and then have a big after party. So, all up and down our main street were prom photos happening, along with the park downtown. I only know because Nick and munchkin went to a movie and ended up in the middle of it all.

rach3975, Memaw2Wm and jk703 like this.
  14. bestcee

That sounds so stressful! But I'm totally that mom. :whistle:yup:rofl I make my kid let me meet parents before he goes over to play. Pick you up at the door? okay, I'm cool. Play at their house for hours? I need to meet you. I don't know that I would worry about it for a single date night though. (Although, I met some parents that were a little crazy once, and I definitely encouraged my child to play at our house with that friend instead after that.)

jk703 likes this.
  15. jk703

I do know many of the parents that my kids hang out with. As he’s gotten into junior year, he’s expanded his friends a lot and I don’t know all parents now. I’ve met the kids, drove them places, and now that he’s driving I at least know who! With meeting her mom, it isn’t a problem at all, I was just surprised and maybe more so by the all of a sudden request. They’ve been friends and have hung out, gone places as a group, and parties together for well over 2 years. Doesn’t matter, and I’m happy to oblige them, I’m so excited now, lol!

bestcee likes this.
  16. jk703

Great thought on social media for pics!

and the Main Street pics sounds so fun and fun to watch!

bestcee likes this.
  17. bestcee

That is weird! You'd think they would have wanted to meet before the 2 year mark!

jk703 likes this.
  18. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

My Junior (grandson) just went to his prom. Those kids looked so cute! A lot of their friends came to my DD's before the prom and we all took pictures.

Memaw2Wm and jk703 like this.
  19. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

That sounds stressful!!!

Senior prom was the first dance my sons' school has had since in the beginning of the pandemic (we only do senior proms). Michael was super low key about it. I had bought him a couple suits earlier this year, so he decided to wear one of those. We asked him numerous times if he wanted a tux and he declined. My husband proactively ordered boutonnieres. We took pictures at a popular Seattle park and then dropped a few of them off at a restaurant (that they'd picked out the same day?!). They Uber'd to the dance (held at the top of a skyscraper). They all said it was pretty underwhelming, lol. Michael had two dates (both friends).

20220521-Prom.jpg

He's going to another school's prom next weekend. It will be interesting to see how that experience compares.

jk703, Karen, Memaw2Wm and 1 other person like this.
  20. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I finally got some of my grandson's prom pictures put together. They had such a great time!

prom-pix.jpg

jk703, Karen and Memaw2Wm like this.