Photos

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Dec 22, 2019.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

This year has been on the whole pretty dismal for taking photos for me personally - any ideas on how to spark taking photos again? Without taking new photos I am struggling to be creative

2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I say take photos of ordinary things. Go on a walk and talk photos of the flowers or down the street of where you live or just the normal things of life. Take photos if you go to a coffee shop or a luncheon place & take photos of what you are having or on your bus ride to see your family take photos out the window of the outside scenery.

LilachOren likes this.
  3. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

You could follow the daily photo prompts like Fat Mum Slim's blog has HERE

LilachOren likes this.
  4. LilachOren

LilachOren Well-Known Member

Thank you for the blog link...Thant us so helpful

5. cfile

I just took a few photos this morning when I went out to the grocery.. there was frost on the ground and the sun was just rising.. it was so beautiful.. while I was at the stop sign, I grabbed my cell phone and took 3 photos at different views and angles. A brisk and crisp morning!

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  6. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I always look out my front picture window in the mornings and yesterday I noticed a beautiful sun rise since I was up earlier than normal (thanks to the dog needing to go outside). So I grabbed my camera and actually went out my front door to get shots that didn't include a dirty window! I also have windows on the west side of the house that I can see some pretty awesome sunsets.

I quite often take photos out of various windows in the house with the sliding door being the one I use the most. Yesterday I had grass and snow in the same photo... still 2 inches of snow in that area since it is in the shade and hasn't melted yet. Still there today since temps haven't gotten warm enough to melt it.

I take a lot of landscape and nature photos as well. I love documenting the various changes of the seasons. I even found I had scrapped a photo years ago of the view out my front window. Much different view today since several of the neighbors on that street have had trees taken down. Need to do a "then and now" layout about it!

bestcee and cfile like this.
  7. cfile

Yup I completely agree re the neighborhood and the different sunrises... definitely document a before and after also the half green grass hal snow.. always fun to take these photos.. I like looking at the photos after.. sometimes you even get a suprise! Something you didn't notice until you view your photo!

8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I've been moving layouts among albums since I got my big order from Persnickety. That's when I noticed a layout I had done of the fall color on the trees down the street that I see from my front window. And, I thought to myself that I don't see that anymore... looked out the window and realized at least 3 or 4 trees have been cut down.

I went a month ago and took photos of the football stadium that is less than a mile from my house. It is being torn down and a new one built. I can't wait to document that progress. I've also been taking photos of the new house being built 2 doors from me the last few weeks. An update photo once a week. I love documenting things like this. Funny how photos of things like this from the past are sought out but not really available since photo processing was so expensive back in "ancient times".

cfile and bestcee like this.
  9. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I take photos of anything and everything. Selfies. Photos of the TV if I'm watching a particular movie. Photos of the covers of books when I've finished reading them. Food and beverages, especially coffees and hot chocolates at this time of year. Places where I hang out a ton - like my bedside table or the table next to my recliner. Of course loads of photos of my cat. LOL I say whatever is in your life is important because it's YOUR LIFE.

I know you do applications, so I would take a photo of a corner of an application, even if it's on the computer. I'd take photos of transportation to interviews and visits to family and friends. Food that you cook and/or that you treat yourself to if you go out to eat. Screenshots of Facebook statuses.

Make sure you have your phone and/or camera with you or at hand so you can capture things when it runs through your mind!

10. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I take pictures of anything and everything, too. If I keep them long enough, I almost always end up using them

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

One of the best things for me to spark taking photos again is learning something, or checking out a tutorial. I took a lot of photos this last semester because I took a photography class in college. So, I did my assignment, but I also practiced and worked on finding the light. The more I practiced, or found something I wanted to try, the more it sparked that learning and shooting desire. Like, I read an article about 5 photos to take with the Christmas tree. So, I took a bunch on different days trying to capture bokeh or a good silhouette last week. Today, I made my son pose with me in front of the tree.

I've also been doing a Day One journal app on my phone. My goal is to write daily and include a photo. So, I have to take a photo each day to include one. This desire keeps me noticing the little story of my day I want to tell. And, it's often about me, not the kid. Perhaps it's how beautifully I sliced the mushrooms today for dinner, and how my knife skills have improved. Or my slippers because my floor gets so cold at night. My computer, my desk, my latest book, these have all been moments I captured.

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  12. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I'm fairly decent at screen shots and random photos out of planes from my trips but not much else - I guess the struggle of lack of photos goes alongside my lack of real life at the moment. (In the past few months I've gone out for one doctors appointment and thats about it, everything else has been at home lately plus I've been on my own for the past 6 weeks anyway)

13. pagefrocks

pagefrocks ♥•:*¨¨*:•♥•:*¨¨*:•.♥

Daily life . . . I feel like now that the kids are grown, I document the little stuff more often. Snap a pic of a cherished possession, a handed down item, food with the story behind it, your routine, the cup of coffee/tea/hot chocolate, a collection you may have . . . you'll start looking at everything like a scrapbook layout - which can get weird! LOL

14. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I agree with everything here. Over Christmas vacation my mom brought old 8mm films, converted onto a DVD, for me to watch of her family. It was so great to see, but all the footage was outside (I assume because interior lighting was too low?) ... I wish I could have seen what her childhood bedroom had looked like, or what the kitchen my great grandma baked in looked like. I wish I knew what their wallpaper was like, or what their first TV looked like (it was such a big deal when they got one!). Anyway, my long point is that it's so easy to take for granted our own daily routine, but there will come a time when either we want to reminisce or that others will want us to share our experiences with them. For example, a photo of your favorite mug seems humdrum, but it is, and will continue to be, such a great peek into your life. Don't take that for granted when you pull out your camera!

15. bestcee

This is true. Plus it changes.
    A bunch of years ago, I had an awesome Disney mug with the character Stitch. It got broken. So, I have a new Disney mug with a simple saying on it. But, this summer, I bought another hot cocoa cup (the Max Brenner one), so now that is my typical hot cocoa mug. They all say something about my life, and me. And I was really glad I had a picture of the Stitch mug when it broke.

16. bestcee

pagefrocks likes this.
  17. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

There are some great ideas above. I've been photographing my life as long as I can remember and I love looking at my old photos and being reminded of something mundane. I don't care if it's boring to everyone else; it meant something to me. This year, a few times, I've photographed my lunch while I'm on break from my box office work. :D

@bestcee I think you were the one who mentioned Day One to me in late 2015 and I have to thank you. It took until 2018 before I got into a habit of using it daily, but now it's automatic and I haven't missed a day since summer of 2018. I have several journals, including one just for Food I Have Enjoyed. :P

bestcee likes this.
  18. cookingmylife

cookingmylife Pizza would be my last meal, except ...

I've taken a lot of photos at the Doctor/dentis/optometrist, outside the oncologist's office etc. A photo of the parking lot where the dr/etc is. The lobby, the coffee machine there. ETC Me in my pink mammogram gown is a yearly one! If you have interesting socks, take a daily photo of your feet somewhere. (If you don't have fun socks, I'd suggest lightening up you life with some!)

For me the magic is in the daily. That IS our life!

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  19. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

Thanks for the blog Anne-Marie!!!!!